Xenon headlights without the need for washers and self levelling?

silver1011

I never knew it was possible!

But Skoda have just added the option of factory fit xenon headlights to the Rapid.

They claim that they are much less expensive than on other models because their light output (being less than 2,000 lumens) is reduced compared with normal xenon's, so there is no legal requirement to fit the self levelling and headlight wash system.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/news/2013-07-04-rapid

"As an option, the ŠKODA Rapid received xenon headlights. The xenon lamp has a luminous flux up to 2,000 lumen.  This system requires no headlamp leveling and headlamp cleaning system yet. Advantage: a lower price compared to xenon headlamps with higher lumen output at roughly comparable intensity."

I'd guess because 'roughly comparable' is subjective, so they can use marketing speak to claim what they like.

A quick Google places a normal halogen at 1,400 lumen and xenon at 3,000. I'm not sure if a Nightbreaker or something is higher or not (unlikely IME), I guess this are going to be around ~45% more than a halogen, not sure it's worth it - I'd rather pay more for better lighting.

So the new xenons will not be as bright as a decent pair of +100% bulbs like the Philips Xtreme vision that I use? 

You would have to really want the look of projector headlights to spend that money.

Normal halogens are about 700lm dipped and 1200lm full beam. So a Xenon with 2000lm total (I assume dipped) doesn't appear to be much more but still has some benefits

• Projector lamp has better beam pattern
  • Xenon Light is whiter and more pleasant to look at and appears brighter to the human eye
  • Xenon bulbs last longer and use less power
  • Guess the cheaper system still has a full power full beam so this would look the same as the more expensive system when undipped.

We don't see brightness in a linear way, a 4500lm Xenon would not appear to be twice as bright as 2000lm to us.

The difference in colour does have a surprisingly dramatic effect though, 1000lm of white light does look a lot brighter than 1000lm of yellow light.

• Like 1

So from this, if you install a HID kit on any vehicle, so long as you dont exceed 2k, you dont need self levelling and washers?

I would assume as long as they are in the proper projector units rather than jammed in some reflectors..

• Like 1

So from this, if you install a HID kit on any vehicle, so long as you dont exceed 2k, you dont need self levelling and washers?

I thought you still have the issue of type approval, because the UK law has some clause that bulbs can only be replaced with the same type (halogen with halogen in this case) unless they are specifically type approved by the manufacturer of the vehicle.