My old fella

@Lee

It's something I thought of after I did the spraying :D will definitely get one myself next time I need to do anything :)

I'll let you know how I get on, you never know with these things until you try them how robust they are or if the spray will catch the edges etc.

How's the bumper going Lee?

I was just about to do a status update saying something along the lines of 'I'm coming to the conclusion that DIY primering, sanding, spraying, flatting and polishing a bumper is a complete and utter ball ache best left to a bodyshop', but I shan't bother now!

It's a bit like this > post-73816-0-64081800-1394927785_thumb.jpg

Yeah, er, really really well thanks, Charlie :D

TBH, it's not that bad, two coats on, flatted/ polished partially with 2000 grit, and still awaiting some paint that's been on order for a bit now :wonder:

Got the trigger spray thing which only fits smaller nozzles :(

It's a bit of a learning curve really as I've never attempted to spray such a large area and you have to 'keep it wet' when spraying, which is a task in itself.

I'll get there though :thumbup:

• Like 2

small update on the bumper. Next lot of paint arrived yesterday. I'd already flatted the first coats with 2000 grit so today, another four coats went on. A few bits I'm not happy about where the bumper flexed a little, but I can't aim for 100% perfection with a rattle can in a confined garage. Besides, it's going on a ten and a half year old daily driver :D Next stage, polish and laquer.

post-73816-0-87735000-1395512186_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-74629800-1395512192_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-59231700-1395512198_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-21251800-1395512205_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great Lee, especially as is a first attempt with rattle cans. Id never attempt such a large area myself

Thanks, Charlie. There's a few imperfections I'm not happy with, the main one in the first pic on the left of the plate holder. That will sand out easily when the paint's hardened enough I think.

I'm beginning to think a whole bumper requires better facilities than I have at my disposal, plus SWMBO keeps moaning about the fumes coming from the garage door into the hall, lounge, kitchen :D

Bumper's in the process of getting a final polish, so laquer tomorrow.

In the meantime, I bagged some vRS foot pedals from the scrappers. They wanted fifteen but I managed to get them down to ten :p

post-73816-0-27689300-1396030210_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-98945800-1396030216_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Any more progress with the GT bumper Lee?

as mentioned, mate. Final polish today/ now/ in a bit/ later then some coats of laquer tomorrow. Got some bondage stuff ( :bandit:) from an automotive paint suppliers (who, it turns out, could have done the paint cheaper than what I paid) so I just need 24hrs of dry weather after so I can fit and bond it on :)

Good to see you plucked up the courage to spray the bumper yourself, as I certainly didnt haha! Looking good bud, and looking forward to seeing it when its on! 

when you see it, you'll be glad you didn't do it yourself. This spray malarky is a right pain in the arse TBH and I wish I never started it :(

I'm in half a mind to throw the bloody thing in the skip or pour petrol over it and kill it with fire :D

I'm glad I got it off you, mate, just wish I'd left it to a bodyshop to do.

Ah well, stuff it! It's going on anyway and if it looks ****e then it looks ****e!

Rant over and still glad I got it (just about) :)

• Like 2

You didn't do it with a brush did you? ;)

(in the cold)

It's all down to user error, Richard if I'm honest with myself :( I have only a very messy garage with hardly any room to move about, spraying on top of two wheelie bins plus the dust in there doesn't help etc etc etc. Laquering is the toughest part TBH, it runs very easily even though I went light on it.

As I said in a previous post, it's a steep learning curve but lessons learned which is a positive thing :thumbup:

If it stays pretty dry it's going on at the weekend and I'll order some stickers from the shop now our fearless leader's back to cover (m)any imperfections.

(read sticker bomb the whole thing) :D

• Like 2

Tip water on the garage floor, dust shouldn't fly up.

Mate of mine sprayed my old Ibiza boot in his garage when we smoothed it - he now paints Eagle speedsters for a living :)

Richard should buy one of those!

• Like 1

Looks worth the effort though Lee. Top work :)

cheers, mate :) I've learnt a lot of what not to do with this :D

I could have just saved and got a bodyshop to do the majority of the work but where's the fun in that ;)

I'm OK with it, it's far from perfect up close. Filler and paint needed, that's what women use to cover up their flaws isn't it so I'll apply a bit of make up to it :D

Looks good, have you got any side pics and does it sit flush against the bumper or stick out a bit?

I'll let you know in the morning! The adhesive needs to set for 24hrs so at the moment it's taped up while the stuff sets. It does and will always sit proud by a mm or two due to the way it's fitted though.

I might use some plastic padding to smooth it off, not sure yet until I see how it looks :)