Lights on warning sound

Sorry if this has already been posted.

I am constantly driving around the day with my main headlights on, I've noticed that the beeping sound to let you know you've left your lights on when you open the door is very random.

Sometimes it sounds but most of the time it doesn't.

So next day in daylight the lights are on.

Is this just my octavia mk3 or others too!

Cheers

Edited by Nixter

I am constantly driving around the day with my main headlights on, I've noticed that the beeping sound to let you know you've left your lights on when you open the door is very random.

Cheers

Mine too - my previous mk2 always beeped when the lights were on and I turned off the ignition but on the new one it seems to only beep sometimes, does not bother me too much but does seem odd.

Cheers

Your question/ statement makes no sense.

I am constantly driving around the day with my main headlights on - why? Turn them off if you don't want them on during the day.

Sometimes it sounds but most of the time it doesn't - ok, that's a switch/ sensor issue and if you open the door it sounds because the light switch is in the on position.

So next day in daylight the lights are on - did you turn them on again? I don't understand this bit.

The ignition turns the dipped beams off, only the sidelights stay on when the cars off.

It'll turn back on as soon as you turn the ignition back on, I usually leave my switch on, as at the moment all my driving is in the dark during the week!

Guest Cossiecol

Surely if it's day & and there is no requirement to have the lights on then switch them off - Issue solved.

If there is a requirement to have them on due to poor weather/viability then turn them on, before you get out the car (when you've stopped) you will notice the lights being on. From here turn them off - issue solved.

You shouldn't really need a beep to tell you your lights are on.

Sorry maybe I've missed the point on the original post, however it seems this question could be solved with a bit of common sense.

Edited by Cossiecol

Maybe - but surely there are times when you park up at night and get out the car and forget to turn off the lights *shurgs*, I know I have  - that is where the warning beep can be useful (and the mk 2 certainly had this). That is what the OP is getting at.

Neily03 

I need to check the side light issue mentioned earlier  - could be the case but without checking I can't be sure. 

Guest Cossiecol

Maybe - but surely there are times when you park up at night and get out the car and forget to turn off the lights *shurgs*, I know I have  - that is where the warning beep can be useful (and the mk 2 certainly had this). That is what the OP is getting at.

Nope, never, as I seem to always notice the front of the car emitting a bright light type radiance from the headlights when I stop (my dash is also strangely illuminated), fearing for my safety I disengage said lighting devices and the strange light disappears.  :whew:

Edited by Cossiecol

Cossiecol, on 29 Jan 2014 - 12:43, said:

Nope, never, as I seem to always notice the front of the car emitting a bright light type radiance from the headlights when I stop (my dash is also strangely illuminated), fearing for my safety I disengage said lighting devices and the strange light disappears.  :whew:

Some very helpful replies here and elsewhere in the thread. I'm sure they'll encourage the OP who is a new member to remain on the forum and feel welcome here... For the vast majority of us who aren't perfect the warning alarm is a useful feature. Seems like a perfectly valid question to me.

• Like 2

Maybe - but surely there are times when you park up at night and get out the car and forget to turn off the lights *shurgs*, I know I have

Never, ever Drink & Drive

As a Postman I'm completely ****ed off most Saturday morning by home owners cars abandoned like they've been stolen, front doors swinging in the brezze and keys left in doors and whilst, the car lights being left on are more subtle they are all signs of Drink & Drive.

Regards

T

As a Postman I'm completely ****ed off most Saturday morning by home owners cars abandoned like they've been stolen, front doors swinging in the brezze and keys left in doors and whilst, the car lights being left on are more subtle they are all signs of Drink & Drive.

Regards

T

Or someone who has had a crap week at work and just spent 3 hours stop-starting down the M3... Frantically looking for my car keys the other Saturday morning to find them hanging out the ignition of the car...

From my experience, it can be easy to try and get out of the car with your lights on during daylight, especially if its been showery. You have them on on the motorway for the rain, leave them on when the sun comes out again and hey presto! the car beeps when you open the door to tell you they're still on. Hasn't happened for a while, what with there being no sun...

Or someone who has had a crap week at work and just spent 3 hours stop-starting down the M3... Frantically looking for my car keys the other Saturday morning to find them hanging out the ignition of the car...

From my experience, it can be easy to try and get out of the car with your lights on during daylight, especially if its been showery. You have them on on the motorway for the rain, leave them on when the sun comes out again and hey presto! the car beeps when you open the door to tell you they're still on. Hasn't happened for a while, what with there being no sun...

Oh yeah Tony, I been there, 60k miles p.a., 40 hours a month of out going calls on the firms mobile, never seeing the wife or kids, over weight & not sleeping properly. Now I'm a Postman, 5 stone lighter, 20 shot off me H/cap & DGAF about work once I'm finished for the day, true you gotta sell loads of stuff you don't really need and accept a more basic lifestyle but, the upside are great, UNLESS ITS RAINING then you just don't answer the "Good morning Postie", if you can't be polite, say nothing.

Regards

T

Regards

T

What a strange post (if it is humour it is a strange kind)

Think I've just about had enough of some of the attitudes on this forum lately(and this thread  sums them up nicely) . I am not going to bother posting here for a while - might not even bother reading it either. Goodbye

• Like 1

Think I've just about had enough of some of the attitudes on this forum lately(and this thread  sums them up nicely) . I am not going to bother posting here for a while - might not even bother reading it either. Goodbye

Now that is a strange post!

See ya!

• Like 1

To answer the OP's question the alarm does only go off if you leave the switch in side light position - presumably because sidelights will stay on - you also get the warning in the maxi-dot about lights being left on.

If you leave the switch in the headlight position - no alarm and no lights stay on when you leave the car.

A very dramatic statement...without any impact! Thank you for taking part.

Now, for a more important matter, I think there should be a warning tone when you start driving in the dark with the lights off! Surely that would be an actual helpful safety feature. Our cities and car parks are brightly lit these days and (some) people forget to switch on the lights and start driving in the dark because they are 'unaware' of the darkness so to speak.

Thoughts?

Can I just remind people that this is a friendly forum

Lets not send it the way of other sites

@hawkster, there is no need to remove yourself from the site, don't let other people put you off...

Regarding leaving the lights on, I have done it a few times, mainly at the local supermarket which has a very brightly lit underground car park.

Luckily the Citigo has a warning noise to remind me

And the suggestion of a noise to remind you to put lights on as well, is a good idea

• Like 1

A very dramatic statement...without any impact! Thank you for taking part.

Now, for a more important matter, I think there should be a warning tone when you start driving in the dark with the lights off! Surely that would be an actual helpful safety feature. Our cities and car parks are brightly lit these days and (some) people forget to switch on the lights and start driving in the dark because they are 'unaware' of the darkness so to speak.

Thoughts?

Now that is a spectacularly brilliant idea. The amount of people I followed who have pulled out of petrol stations or car parks without lights on. Of course if you flash them they either ignore you or give you the finger in the mirror salute.