Best tyres for pothole resistance

I replaced two front tyres in November - from Continental Conti 2 to Goodyear F1

I've now had to replace both after hitting different potholes on two different dates - which is getting a bit tedious at £120 a pop :(

The holes were about 8cm deep but with a sharp edge. I hit them at about 30-40mph & it sounded bad so was surprised the rims survived.

I've put two claims into Birmingham council so we'll see how that goes - nothing to lose!

I'm running on the standard 18" rims and never suffer a blowout with the Continentals - am I just unlucky or are the Goodyear's just a bit less resistant to damage?

Edited by JamKart

Not trying to teach you to "suck eggs" but I took photo's with a ruler showing how deep and wide plus comments from nearby residence as it had been there for some time despite reports from locals. They took three months to consider it. I also pointed out to them that they had suddenly repaired the hole some 40 minutes after I initailly contacted them!

Paid full price for the alloy and just over half price for the tyre which was fair as it was quite worn.

So be prepared for a wait and good luck.

I've had minor damage, just very slight cut to wall, no safety issue luckily. I read a fair bit and the Audi forums are also suffering, their answer is to run as high a pressure as possible. I run at 2.6 bar and cross my fingers. I can cope with the ride and just hope tyres and rims survive the poor roads around Cardiff.

Not trying to teach you to "suck eggs" but I took photo's with a ruler showing how deep and wide plus comments from nearby residence as it had been there for some time despite reports from locals. They took three months to consider it. I also pointed out to them that they had suddenly repaired the hole some 40 minutes after I initailly contacted them!

Paid full price for the alloy and just over half price for the tyre which was fair as it was quite worn.

So be prepared for a wait and good luck.

They did say it could take a few months to assess the claim - I have plenty of pictures so we'll see how it goes.

I've also reported them on the council website - they are pretty fast (same day) at fixing them once reported.

The tyre pressure idea is worth a go in the winter when the potholes seem worse.

Edited by JamKart

What about fitting a 45 sidewall to 18" rims? I don't know if you'd need  to re-calibrate the speedo with VCDS .... I've been running my 17" rims on a 45 wall for 100,000 miles on our much less than perfect 'B' roads here in Ireland without issue. Better comfort and quieter too.

HTH,

Rob

I used to go through silly amounts of tyres due to the state of the roads around here.  A couple of things that helped:

1) Winter tyres on smaller wheels in winter.  Apart from the obvious winter tyre benefits, the larger profile, combined with softer compound makes driving on poorly maintained roads a bit more comfortable and less likely to cause damage (my current set have lasted 3 winters).

2) Increasing tyre pressure by a few psi above the Skoda recommended level has worked for me.

Might just be a coincidence, but I found Goodyear Eagle F1 and Michelin Pilot Sport 2, to be particularly prone to side wall de-lamination bumps from pothole damage.

I replaced two front tyres in November - from Continental Conti 2 to Goodyear F1

I've now had to replace both after hitting different potholes on two different dates - which is getting a bit tedious at £120 a pop :(

I'm running on the standard 18" rims and never suffer a blowout with the Continentals - am I just unlucky or are the Goodyear's just a bit less resistant to damage?

There's your problem. Replace these too large wheels by decent 16" wheels and enjoy all their benefits:

• Lower fuel consumption
  • Cheaper tyres
  • More comfort
  • Less road noise
  • Much better capable of handling potholes
  • Not as susceptible to kerbing
  • Like 1

Looking good is the only thing they do better than 16's,I know as I have 18's but hopefully not for much longer. There is no proven increase in performance. They really are only a fashion statement. I'm checking to see if fitting 225 50r 17's are a modification in the insurance companies eyes.

There's your problem. Replace these too large wheels by decent 16" wheels and enjoy all their benefits:

• Lower fuel consumption
  • Cheaper tyres
  • More comfort
  • Less road noise
  • Much better capable of handling potholes
  • Not as susceptible to kerbing

I don't actually have an issue with comfort as the ride is quite supple. I guess it would be even better with 16" rims? It's just the tyre cost & pothole damage that's an issue.

I did consider swapping the 18" rims for the 17" rims found on the SE model. I asked the dealer at the time I bought the car if he's swap them off a used SE they had on the forecourt - but he said Skoda UK stipulated they had to sell the cars as supplied.

So what's it's going to cost to source either a set of 17" or 16" Skoda rims plus tyres?

Edited by JamKart

TyreMen sell OEM Superb Spectrum 16s (that are from dealers when they change cars to 17s and 18s)

http://www.tyremen.co.uk/product/91764/16-skoda-wheels--skoda---superb-2008

I have 15s on my Octavia and wouldn't care for anything larger, since there are zero benefits to me, only downsides. I am looking at a Superb Elegance and if I get it, I will be straight on here to swap wheels with someone with 16s on.

ok, let's do some math.

standard r16 Superb tire dimensions 205 / 55, so the sidewall height is 205 x 55%=112.75

standard r17 Superb tire dimensions 225 / 45, so the sidewall height is 225 x 45%=101.25

standard r18 Superb tire dimensions 225 / 40, so the sidewall height is 225 x 40%=90

So r16 gives 22.75 mm sidewall advantage comparing to r18. But it would be unfair to say, that the handling of the car is the same with r16 or r18. On city speeds it would be more or less the same, but on high speed curves or autobahn lane changing you could feel difference. 

I personally made compromise and have chosen r17 + enforced tires + higher tire pressure. 

TyreMen sell OEM Superb Spectrum 16s (that are from dealers when they change cars to 17s and 18s)

http://www.tyremen.co.uk/product/91764/16-skoda-wheels--skoda---superb-2008

I have 15s on my Octavia and wouldn't care for anything larger, since there are zero benefits to me, only downsides. I am looking at a Superb Elegance and if I get it, I will be straight on here to swap wheels with someone with 16s on.

I picked up a set of 16" Alloys in decent condition from a local breakers...£140, complete with tyres, but junked tyres and fitted set of Gooyear Ultragrip 8's. Ride transformed especially over potholes, fuel consumption better and MUCH quieter ride. Will think long n hard about refitting the 18" wheels!!

Superb is now 10 days old, coming home from Harrogate today, on a road with a speed rating of 60 mph, hit a pot hole, immediate deflation of tyre. Fortunately it was near side front and the car kept excellent control. If a biker had hit that hole I doubt he would still be alive at that speed. £130 to replace. Harrogate council advised I will need to prove negligence if I put in a claim.

I think our roads now at third conditions.......

Where does our road licence money go ?

http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/4x4_tyre_size_tool.php?osCsid=jup3vhm1nhvt33klscmo7pckc5

OK. Put the size of the tyre you have now on the left wheel of this tool. And adjust the right to the size wheel you want to fit. It gives you all the rolling road dimensions. It also tells you how far out the speedo can be with different profiles.

Used this loads of times to show range rover owners the difference between 16 to 20 inch wheels.

Hope it helps.

Dave

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

I know I'm a bit late to this post but I was wondering how everyone has been getting on with their various solutions to the 18" wheel pothole damage problem the best part of a year on since the thread was raised? I am now on my 3rd tyre in 8 months and can't afford to go on like this.

Specifically I'm wondering:

• Do the 225/45 R17 wheels solve the problem or do I need to go to the R16's?
  • Has anyone tried or does anyone know whether you can simply put a fatter tyre on the 18" wheel, a 45 or 50 aspect ratio for example, and does it stop them busting on potholes?
  • What was Hoverurb's response from the insurers about fitting a 225 50 R17?
  • What brand of tyre would people recommend?

BTW I have been all over the web and talked to countless people about this problem and this thread has been by far the most helpful and informative source of information I have come across so I am hoping that it is still live and am very grateful for all the information so far and any that may be to come.

9 months with R17 225/45 - no damage so far, however roads in LT cities are not that good. I keep higher pressure (2.6 bar) and for winter use tyres with strenghtened sides (extra load - XL marking). R16 would be even safer option, but might be slight compromise on overall look of the car...

I have never been keen to go below 55 profile tyres, and my cars never had a problem with pothole damage in 15 years / 250k+ miles of driving. In fact, I just switched to 60 profile all weathers on the Roomster which are great on humps and potholes, and still handle well enough for me to consider 60 profile tyres for the Mk1 Superb. For a new car, I always look for the smallest alloy diameter that still fits over front disc brakes, and the tallest tyre profile available. 

Low profile tyres might look better to some, and handle better on track, but in my opinion their time has been up for many years now, as the road network deteriorates all over Europe, with UK sadly leading the way. In my opinion, 110mm of sidewall height is an absolute minimum for comfortable and hassle free driving at any speed, including 130mph+ autobahn trips.