Oil catch tank

Catch tank installed. Work in progress as I have a few more silicon bits on order to tidy it all up but it is functional for now.

20140316_175234_zpsztejembx.jpg

20140316_175255_zpshwmoxvwm.jpg

And the catch tank doing its job

20140316_175732_zpseiiljjf7.jpg

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

So I've almost finished refining the catch tank setup. The hoses should withstand temperatures up to 170 degrees so shouldn't be an issue running them over the block.

20140322_130808_zpsu9ae6dlv.jpg

The only issues is that the tank isn't easy accessible to empty. I think I'm going to try quick release hose clamps rather than jubilee to make this easier.

20140322_130757_zpsunjcgofz.jpg

I've done it like this as I wanted to keep my engine cover use able. I've packed up the mounting points to allow room below the cover for the hoses.

20140322_130817_zpsbyns5qg1.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

any update on how quick these fill up/need emptying?

On my old Rallye I used the exact one above and I would empty it once a month when checking oil.

That was circa 800 miles,it wasn't full.

I noticed much less condensation/liquid in it when using fully synth rather than semi synth :)

Fills up ridiculously quick. I have changed mine out now. Will update pics tomorrow. Good filter but just too small.

AshVrs,

That catch tank will not be large enough you need a aluminium one either round or square. Why, because I have a square one and I have just emptied it after about 6 months and the amount of liquid and gunge that was in it really surprised me and I am glad that lot did not go back into the engine. I even had to clean out the small filter that goes to air. My car is regularly serviced and was last completed at the end of February.

I hope this might be of help.

John.

900 miles and it was at the point where it was starting to such the crap back through the filter because the reservoir bit was about half full and submerging the bottom of the filter.

I've since bought a D1 catch can off eBay and inserted a bit of 30 micron stainless steel filter mesh (I think similar to what you get in the electronic cigarettes) and it is working a treat. Again, I'll post some pics tomorrow so you guys can see what you think.

Bro 900 miles for a tiny little filter like that ain't bad at all.. I'd b lucky to clock that mileage in 3-4 months lol

Do you have a list of silicone hoses you used? Please :)

To be honest I think you would have emptied after 300 miles.  In my experience you get most of the liquid build up whilst the engine is cold.  I have noticed in the past that if I do a few long trips (100-300 miles) in addition to my normal commute it doesn't really make a difference.

During the summer you get a lot less build up and diesels are lot worse than petrol engines.

Bro 900 miles for a tiny little filter like that ain't bad at all.. I'd b lucky to clock that mileage in 3-4 months lol

Do you have a list of silicone hoses you used? Please :)

No probs mate, I'll post later on today.

Looks mighty smart :)

How do you empty it? Turkey baster??

Thanks :-) It is held in place with cable ties so I just remove it to empty.

The connectors on the D1 spec can are smaller than 19mm so you might be able to see that I've made them bigger with hose offcuts so the 19mm hoses are a pressure fit over them. This makes the can easier to remove.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the can so you don't need to mess about taking it apart all the time. I just did that so people could see how I had put the filter arrangement inside.

Hi - did you get 2 alloy joiners and did you get the ends swaged (as it says swaged ends out of stock)?

Cheers

Yes got two and no I didn't get swaged ends. They look alot fancier in the eBay add than they actually are. When you get them you will see that there is plenty of tube for the pipes to connect to and then I just pinched the end of each silicon pipe under the jubilee clip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's really straight forwards mate, appreciate though that is easily said once you have done it lol. I'll drop you an email explaining what I did.

• Like 1