Replacing wing mirror LED indicator

Hi, just thought I'd write this for other users for future use.

Yesterday some charming other motorist clipped my wing mirror while I was pulled over to let them pass. Mirror folded round with the knock, mirror was intact and I thought it was fine. Got home and looked at it to check the paint wasn't chipped off the back of the cover - it wasn't - but the LED indicator is smashed.

£20 from dealer for the correct part, and I'm fitting it.

Searched on here and online for exact Superb II replacement instructions but couldn't find anything specific to the Superb II. So I read about the Superb I and viewed videos of VWs etc.

In the videos they all seem to show and say use a wedge and pull the covers up and off - they are stiff but do come off.

Well on the Superb II I have found that instead you have to first remove the mirror, then there are 2x small screws that connect the casting of the metal mirror structure to the inside of the plastic housing. Unscrew these, then gently prise the mirror cover off - just unclips.

As I couldn't find any info about this instead before I tried, I found out the hard way.  I left the mirror in place, then by following the videos I pulled the cover off and in doing so broke the inside of the mirror cover with the 2 screws still attached.

Its not the end of the world as once the lamp was changed, I pressed the cover back into place to see how it fitted. The plastic clips seem to hold the cover on nice and firm and so to be honest, at the moment I'm not worried about having to replace an otherwise immaculate mirror cover.......But Time and motorway wind will tell.....  

Anyway hope this helps others if they find themselves in the same position!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

I've just had to do this job on my 2013 Superb Elegance estate, it is a very fiddly procedure:

1. Remove the mirror glass, disconnect the heating element wires.

2. Remove the downlighter bulb.

3. Remove the 2 Torx head machine screws.

4. Remove the Torx head self tapping screw securing the top half of the mirror housing and the two catches, then gently lever up the top half and remove it.

5. Unclip and remove the bottom half, with the repeater light unit still attached.

6. Remove the 2 Torx head self tappers holding the downlighter bulb holder and remove it to expose the screws securing the repeater unit.

7. Remove the 2 Torx head self tappers attaching the repeater unit to the bottom half of the mirror housing and disconnect the wiring block from the light unit.

Replacement is the exact reverse, be careful not to trap the wires leading to the repeater and the heated mirror.

Skoda made a bit of a meal of this one!

• Thanks 1

there was a thread on this only last week and I have a video showing how to dismantle the mirror.

this is a perfect example of how mis labelled threads are useless, the thread (unlike yours) made no mention of to what it pertained.

Another favorite is "help" or "urgent"

I'm afraid I just Ignore those.

Sorry you didn't find what you needed.

A slight correction to the procedure I described above:

I've just had to do this job on my 2013 Superb Elegance estate, it is a very fiddly procedure:

1. Remove the mirror glass, disconnect the heating element wires.

2. Remove the downlighter bulb.

3. Remove the 2 Torx head machine screws.

4. Remove the 2 Torx head self tapping screw securing the top half of the mirror housing and the two catches, then gently lever up the top half and remove it.

5. Unclip and remove the bottom half, with the repeater light unit still attached.

6. Remove the 2 Torx head self tappers holding the downlighter bulb holder and remove it to expose the screws securing the repeater unit.

7. Remove the 2 Torx head self tappers attaching the repeater unit to the bottom half of the mirror housing and disconnect the wiring block from the light unit.

All the Torx screws are T10.

Replacement is the exact reverse, be careful not to trap the wires leading to the repeater and the heated mirror.

Skoda made a bit of a meal of this one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

Be careful while opening those screws, one of them got cracked and now its impossible to pull it out. It was weak and rusty. Anyway, the whole job was done in 1 hour and it seems to be good even without that broken screw. Thanks for these instructions :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/09/2018 at 19:40, arppa94 said:

Be careful while opening those screws, one of them got cracked and now its impossible to pull it out. It was weak and rusty. Anyway, the whole job was done in 1 hour and it seems to be good even without that broken screw. Thanks for these instructions :)

I'm pleased that was of some use. I'd agree to allow about an hour the first time one does this job (but I could probably do it in 20 minutes now).

Is there a particular way to remove the mirror glass safely ?  I have seen a couple of Youtube videos but it isn't clear, does it just pull out of its mounting ?

I have some LED down lights to fit but have been reluctant to do so with being unsure of removing the mirror.  I assume you need to angle the mirror a certain way to get access to pull it out ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

took me an hour to do it initially.  Once you know what to do it takes 10 mins.  PM me if you need any help.  You need a plastic jemmy or plastic knife to remove the mirror glass and a torque set to remove the 3 or 4 screws needed to get the right things off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thekaratekid said:

took me an hour to do it initially.  Once you know what to do it takes 10 mins.  PM me if you need any help.  You need a plastic jemmy or plastic knife to remove the mirror glass and a torque set to remove the 3 or 4 screws needed to get the right things off.

Thanks for that, not sure when I will get round to doing it, I need to allow a few hours clear of the wife/kids interruptions which can be rather infrequent lol....but should the need arise I will drop you a PM :thumbup:

Thanks for the step by step instructions . They worked out well for me. Thin fingers are a help when removing the mirror glass. Took me a hour - then again I'm not the most technologically blessed!

Edited by jbk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Would anyone mind posting a video of how to remove the indicator holder?

I have managed to remove the glass and screws but I'm having trouble removing the bottom part of the mirror to install new indicators. 

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help