07 roomster, full size spare wheel and tyre, speed restricted?

Can anyone explain why my 1.9 diesel roomster has a 50mph/90kph limitation sticker on the (unused) spare wheel. It is full size and has a totally standard size touranza tyre on it. to all intents and purposes it looks like a normal wheel. the only thing I can think is that somehow it would be a mismatch weight-wise with the alloy wheels on the car but that sounds unlikely to me.

Any ideas out there? Thanks.

I think the mismatch between steel and alloy wheels might affect the handling characteristics of the car and the performance of ESP.

Additionally, the 15" steel is the universal spare wheel for the entire Roomster range.  OE wheels for Roomster models vary from 15" steels to 17" alloys, but the spare wheel for all models is 15" steel - hence the 50mph sticker.

Enjoy your Roomster  :thumbup:

Thanks Robjon, I reckon that's it. I thought the spare was a 16" the same as the wheels on the car, I'll check tomorrow. Pity if its only 15" as it has a new and unused tyre which I was going to pinch for the road wheels.

Additionally the chances are that by the time you use the spare you will have changed the original tyres so you will have a mismatch of makes on the same axle which could upset the handling.

True, the turanzas originally fitted don't seem to be available any more. Currently fitted with P zeros, any advice on replacements that give a fair balance between grip and wear?

True, the turanzas originally fitted don't seem to be available any more. Currently fitted with P zeros, any advice on replacements that give a fair balance between grip and wear?

Redjoolz, mine also had the steel spare. My local independent garage gave the same advice as Keitht.

I have recently had to replace all four corners and after some research went for Nexen BlueEco (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nexen/N-Blue-ECO.htm). £283 fitted with the tracking also sorted. I have previous had the Barum Bravuris2 (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Barum/Bravuris-2.htm). Really happy with the Barum, though not the quietest on the road. Some road surfaces generated a noticeable increase in noise.

Time and travel (150 miles so far) will tell how well the new Nexens wear, etc. First impressions though are good, noticeably quieter on all road surfaces. They also seemed to cope well with the recent heavy rains locally.

Hope the above helps.