Refreshing the Engine

So, once the studs are finished on the car it's time to give the cosmetics a break...

I've decided it's time to give my engine some serious attention and start cleaning / replacing parts (that are not covered in a standard service). I've already got a few jobs to do, but I'm looking for ideas for other bits and bobs to sort out - I'm specifically looking for ideas on new parts as I've got a shopping basket going at skodaparts.com as well as a few bits on eBay. The idea is to get the engine running smoothly again - this isn't about cosmetics and "engine bay styling."

To do list:

- Fix SAI Pump leak (Parts: metal bolts, washers & nuts to replace plastic screws)

- Renew Coolant System (Parts: coolant temp sender [updated green version], new fan to replace broken one)

- Clean Throttle Body (Parts: gasket & carb cleaner)

- Update Air Intake (Parts: Filter heat-shield, tubing, circular bumper fitment and mesh)

As well as suggesting additional things to do, feel free to add to / modify the existing list). I don't mind spending a little cash, just not huge amounts at this point - big bits like a new 'zaust will be coming a little later on B)

Thanks as always :)

Here's a couple I did to mine when I bought her 4 years and 60,000 miles ago. Mainly so I could treat them as 'fit and forget' items that hopefully wouldn't need attention again.

Forge alloy re-circ dump valve - about 80 quid if I remember? Anyway, fitted because sometimes the original plastic one can give some hassle. I was confident that the Forge one would last the life of the car and always work perfectly  (and it has so far...)

Replacement air filter element in the stock housing. Can't be arsed to keep buying and replacing stock paper filters every service or whatever. My Pipercross foam panel filter will last all the time I have the car. And doesn't need much attention - I only removed it and cleaned it last month for the first time after 60k miles...felt a bit guilty for leaving it so long, but as it happens, not so much dirt came out of it anyway. Plus the car didn't drive any differently afterwards, so I guess wasn't such a big deal. PLUS - it gives you a lovely, but not Billy-Boy, woosh-tish turbo boost noise inside the car. Lovely :D

Some new spark plugs are also always welcome. I can't remember the exact part numbers (have a search on here) but as mine has a stage 1 remap, I fitted the NGK one-stage colder plugs, to help with the increased boost. I took them out and had a look at them a month or two ago - and they all look as new, clean, a little dusting of light grey, electrodes all perfect.

Oil? Filters? I've run mine on Mobil 1 5w-40 since I bought her. As Mobil 1 is 'the nuts' and I do a lot of motorway driving, my investment in this oil at £50 a go gives benefits in an an engine that is still now next to bloody perfect. Fires immediately, still with perfect compression (something I test every now and again) no rattles or noise at all, no smoke - and I run it for 10,000 miles between changes, using a brand-new genuine VAG filter each time (£6 from a Skoda main dealer). In each 10,000 miles, it goes from the top of the dipstick to halfway down at 5,000 miles. I top up at 5,000 to get it back to the top - and when I come to change it at 10, it's only just about got back to halfway down. That's apparently nearly unheard of, low oil consumption on these engines - and I reckon it's down to using such good quality oil. 

Oil pickup? Some people have had the oil pickup / strainer in the sump block and clog up, causing oil starvation and engine death. It's probably worth dropping the sump to check and replace. I did that on mine at 100k - however, the unit on mine was as clear as day. Probably down to motorway miles and decent oil.

Then at the great risk of thread drift,,,,,

Suspension? I refreshed mine (after experimenting with a load of crap aftermarket lowering springs and that - all of which were totally useless for road use) with a brand-new set of OEM Sachs shocks and springs. The result - nice, tight handling, sharpness, but also coupled with comfort and compliance for normal driving. VAG don't spend 100's of millions of pounds of development money on cars and suspension for no reason!

Brakes? I replaced all the rubber hoses with braided steel items (for longevity, and a brake pedal with loads more firmness and feel) and the brakes with high-quality grooved discs, and Mintex 'Fast Road 1144' pads. Plus a brake-fluid change every 2 years, with good-quality DOT4. Not so much money to do, but I now have fabulous, fade-free brakes. On the days when I am driving in a spirited fashion, and I have the devil sitting on my shoulder, I can't deny that I sometimes enjoy coming off motorways onto slip-roads, still doing a hundred and 'x' mph, then braking at the last minute from a million miles an hour to a stop at the bottom, in nothing more than a handful of seconds...yeah, a bit dangerous and irresponsible....but great fun, and especially good for scaring passengers, heheh :D

Maybe think about giving these things a go. They've all worked for me!!