"Upgraded" coil pack (2.0T)

I'm going to be ringing Skoda in a while (coil pack recall) but I've spotted something unusual. Whilst window shopping at Awesome, I spotted these:

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/skoda/octavia1/ecs-tuning-1-8t-to-2-0t-coil-pack-conversion-kit

Anybody here running them? If they genuinely are better at idle and give a bit of extra performance, then I'd actually consider ditching the recall and buying a set.

Mmm interesting that I had 1 coil go on me and paid Skoda to replace it, and then another went 2 months later. So I paid Skoda to do the remaining 3!!.

Not a word from them about a recall.... 

Mmm interesting that I had 1 coil go on me and paid Skoda to replace it, and then another went 2 months later. So I paid Skoda to do the remaining 3!!.

Not a word from them about a recall....

If you've kept the reciept and presuming it was coil packs that is covered by the recall I would go back to the dealer and insist on a refund. They should have been replaced foc.

Well this is interesting...

Good morning,

Thank you for your enquiry into checking any outstanding product enhancements available to your Octavia Vrs.

I can confirm that yes Ignition coil check is outstanding but there is two pieces of information we should inform you off. Firstly we know this car has been modified, the second owner is a very good customer of ours which under any warranty terms invalidates this and also if the Ignition coils with no visible concern part number, I.E Non genuine, should not be replaced as part of this campaign, since we have no information regarding their quality status.

Kind regards

So because I've modified my car, they're saying I can't have it done?

Oh well, f*** them - I'll be getting aftermarket ones and Sherlodge Garage, or whatever they're called nowadays, won't ever see this motor again (or any of my money for that matter) :devil:

Well this is interesting...

So because I've modified my car, they're saying I can't have it done?

Oh well, f*** them - I'll be getting aftermarket ones and Sherlodge Garage, or whatever they're called nowadays, won't ever see this motor again (or any of my money for that matter) :devil:

oh sherlodge garage 2mins from my house :happy: they are bang on normally :thumbup:

Mines modifed, decat stinks of fuel haha. They replaced all my coils and didnt bat an eyelid about it being modified. Even commented how nice it was and refreshing to see a 'classic' visit the main dealer. They took a photo with all their mechanics and its printed into a canvas on their service waiting room.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by tunk
  • Like 1

I think they are actually saying the car is well known to them and the coils have been checked and found to be no OEM ones as have no part number on them. That's the real reason they will not support replacement. Skoda will not replace none OEM ones.

Skoda replaced mines on a slightly none std car. :)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

It does mention about non OEM coil packs not getting replaced and assuming most people know this that's not unusual. But the way I'm reading into that statement is informing the owner they know the car is modified and that invalidates any sort of warranty claim.

:quote:

Firstly, we know this car has been modified, the second owner is a very good customer of ours which under any warranty terms invalidates this.

We know this is wrong. Plenty of people on here with modified cars have had this recall/warranty work carried out. I'd be phoning that dealer back and informing them of an imminent call to Skoda UK!

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain they're OEM - tbh they don't look like they've ever been changed...

P1050317_zps58da9962.jpg

The thing that worries me now, is that if I do force them to do it (whether that's through Skoda UK or whatever) then they might do something to the car out of spite. I am a huge cynic with a huge mistrust for human beings - once you've lost my trust then you don't get it back (blame my old job). If they can't even get the basic customer services right, then there's no way I'm trusting them with my pride and joy. I can't find it, but someone posted a video on here a while back of a mechanic throwing stuff at a car... all caught on the in-car camera - that didn't help with my trust issues :P

I'll ring another dealer outside of the "Motorline" franchise. The previous owner may well be a "good customer" but that means jack s*** to me! :sun:

Thanks all :)

• Like 1

Ring another dealer, quote 28F7 get it booked in, job done.  Pop the connector ends off and check the model number and what letter it ends in.

And get that engine cleaned!

I did quote that number to the last ones - it *is* due for recall, they're just trying to wriggle out of it because I've modified the car. Will have a look at the coils and ring another dealer in the week.

Haha - it's cleaner than that now, the pics are in my thread :giggle: Whole bay will be getting a revamp this year.

As long as the coil packs are genuine vag items and the last letter isn't D or R they HAVE to replace free of charge. Is there a different Skoda dealer near you? You shouldn't have to take it somewhere else but it might just ease your worries.

• Like 1

As long as the coil packs are genuine vag items and the last letter isn't D or R they HAVE to replace free of charge. Is there a different Skoda dealer near you? You shouldn't have to take it somewhere else but it might just ease your worries.

I've got 3 near me, but they are all in the "Motorline" franchise, so guessing I'll get the same old waffle. I might try them first, if they talk the same crap then I'll find one a bit further ;)

Just pull the plugs and check the numbers that way you will know for sure if they need doing.

Will be checking during the week ;)

Whilst we're on the subject of electrics, does anyone bother to use anti-seize lubricant on new spark plugs (threads), or is it not really needed?