Upgrading 288mm to 312mm - Bleeding Neccessary?

Just been looking at this guide:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/43733-312mm-brakes-pictorial/

Is it necessary to bleed the brakes immediately after changing the discs, pad, calliper & carrier?

I wish to change the parts myself and get someone else to bleed the system to save a few bob

Edited by RallySport150

Guest BigJase88

You won't be able to drive it to someone to bleed them.

They'll have to come to you!

Buy a gunson eezibleed brake bleeding kit and do it yourself

You won't be able to drive it to someone to bleed them.

They'll have to come to you!

Buy a gunson eezibleed brake bleeding kit and do it yourself

I would but I am just thinking about any problems like seized brake nipples etc

right time for a thread hijack... after I needed a little heavy braking the other day I again started thinking about 312s. my question being. 

Can you take the carriers and callipers straight from a mk1 occy vrs? I've looked but couldn't find a straight forward answer to this question... 

Edit - in a slight answer to your question, I wouldn't dream of venturing on the road with unbled brakes!

Guest BigJase88

right time for a thread hijack... after I needed a little heavy braking the other day I again started thinking about 312s. my question being.

Can you take the carriers and callipers straight from a mk1 occy vrs? I've looked but couldn't find a straight forward answer to this question...

Edit - in a slight answer to your question, I wouldn't dream of venturing on the road with unbled brakes!

Yes you need calipers and carriers to uprate the fabia 288 to 312.

You need ate 312 calipers and 312 carriers

Yes you need calipers and carriers to uprate the fabia 288 to 312.

You need ate 312 calipers and 312 carriers

Sorry, I know you need to upgrade both. just what can you use to do so? e.g were the ATE callipers on the mk1 occy or do you have to look else where like a TT? or is it one from one, one from the other?

dont worry about siezed bleed nipples, if you get really stuck you dont speciifically have to use the bleed nipple to bleed the air out, it can be done by slackening the brake hose union at the caliper instead if you are desperate

Guest BigJase88

Sorry, I know you need to upgrade both. just what can you use to do so? e.g were the ATE callipers on the mk1 occy or do you have to look else where like a TT? or is it one from one, one from the other?

On the tt / octavia / leon etc the 288 and 312 calipers are ATE ones and they are the same. So on one of these cars all you need is the 312 carriers.

On the fabia the 288 calipers differ to the octy 288/312 ATE calipers so you need both calipers and carriers to convert a fabia

On the tt / octavia / leon etc the 288 and 312 calipers are ATE ones and they are the same. So on one of these cars all you need is the 312 carriers.

On the fabia the 288 calipers differ to the octy 288/312 ATE calipers so you need both calipers and carriers to convert a fabia

Right, thats where I may have been getting confused. Cheers!

I got there set a few years back - slightly cheaper as well. Got a lovely red set (to match the SE's OEM setup) and they've lasted well. You need to bleed the system but it's not that hard. If u have a mate, missus etc to press the brake pedal for you it's ok.

• Like 1

I got there set a few years back - slightly cheaper as well. Got a lovely red set (to match the SE's OEM setup) and they've lasted well. You need to bleed the system but it's not that hard. If u have a mate, missus etc to press the brake pedal for you it's ok.

Can you point me to a bleed guide?

thanks

Can you point me to a bleed guide?

thanks

Check THE brake thread, sure it tells you the order to do it. But its basically start at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder and work in.

• 1 month later...