Boost Pipe and EGR oil

Hello guys and girls.

I decided today to check out the EGR valve and didn't realise how bad the oil leak was on the boost pipe joints and EGR. Its everywhere. All down the back of the engine, dripping down from the pipe joints and almost as if its spraying from the hole in the front of the EGR (the small one under the hat)

Check it out. Any ideas as to what could be causing so much oil to pass through? Turbo seals maybe?

EGR

6yry9e2a.jpg

The next joint after the 90 degree pipe actually has liquid oil around it

ugateneh.jpg

What do you guys recommend?

I was going to clean the EGR thinking it might be clogged up but from what I could see it just looks like its smothered in the oil vapour as are the inside of the boost pipes.

The car was remapped a couple years ago but the leak was aparent before hand. I dont know why I never looked into this before but I think I may have a slight boost leak :p

Hellppppp. Thanks guys

Edited by FabiaJames

Oil on your boost pipes is normally. Your EGR valve looks goosed to me and need replacing IMO. My friend has a very similar leak from the EGR, although not as bad as yours.

This is mine prior to removing the SMIC, EGR delete and cleaning of the pipes ..

null_zpsff2fbd9f.jpg

I think I do have a boost leak from the straight boost pipe into the 90 degree as it is very loose compared to the other joins and thats the only place a lot of oil seems to be dripping from. I did consider changing the EGR but got told it was normal to leak. Hmm well its definitely got a lot worse recently as I only cleaned up that area a few months ago.

When I put my foot down I can hear a hissing/whoosing type sound. Im guessing it could be a slight boost leak and I get a lot of smog at around 3-4k. Im wondering if replacing the clip might fix it or whether its worn too much and the pipe needs replacing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you look under the saucer, there's a small hole, which is where I reckon your leak is from.

Replacing just the little metal clip won't help I'm afraid, either self tapper screws through the connectors and pipe, or replacements of some description.

That is where the leak is from its just oil vapour right? I dont appear to be losing any engine oil. Ill clean everything up and check in a few days I think. Could I use a film of silicone of some kind around the leaky joints do you think?

Yeah just oil vapour I believe. It is your EGR gone then. Delete or replace... Or keep cleaning :giggle:

I can't see silicone lasting due to the pressure and movement of the pipes. People have successfully put screws through to hold them together. I removed all OEM pipes apart from the top one which will be done a some point.

Ah thats a relief :D I guess I could try the elephant mod and then clean everything up :P it would at least slow down the cleaning process right? Haha.

Where do I screw the self tapers? Are there any guides for this or just screw into the joint? I think I'll most likely replace with silicone when money isn't running as low as it is right now lol

If you do the elephant mod, please do it properly and use a catch can ;)

You screw them where the two pipes overlap, through the metal connector.

There is a guide around some where as I had considered doing it before, but I could t tell job where exactly.

With the amount of oil laying in my engine bay at the moment I think I shouldn't think twice about using a catch can. I'll have to find an extra large can I think :P I looked at the elephant mod guide once before and thought about it but was tired and found it hard to follow. Ill have another look and might do that today. I may have to settle with the plastic bottle option for now though ;)

• Like 1

Good man :thumbup: others choose not to (each to their own) but I am a responsible motorist and don't want to be the cause of a biker coming off their bike. 

I've read the thread also... re-read it a few times, buy the catch can and pipes and it will make a little more sense. This is where I am at the moment. I have the can, pipes, clamps etc, just trying to find time and making a decision on the final mounting place as it's tight in there :D 

• Like 1

I read it a couple times and was still confused by it ha. When I actually went out to my car and looked I got it straight away. The pipe just after the MAF is the one thats to be blocked. The other end where it connects to the crankcase is where it needs to be re routed. Easy peasy I'm off to the hardware store to find some kind of catcher and piping, then I can clean up and will probably have to do it again but hopefully the oil starts dissappearing from the joins and the egr won't leak so much.

I might plug the egr vacuum but am gonna read into that again to see what the benifits are. This wont effect the anti shudder will it?

my engine 

I have to admit I don't use a catch can but the oil vapour is so minimal I highly doubt if any hits the road. I stand to be corrected though lol.

my engine bay would argue otherwise, the lads at the MOT centre at convinces the turbo is leaking oil, it isnt, its the seals on the egr.

also pulled up the other day and when changed where I was parked there was a quite visible oil drop (it had been rainnig) from intercooler area on the road.

this is on my to do list once i can actually afford to replace all the boost pipes and fit a catch can!

Ahhh so frustrated, just spend 2 hours and a trip to mcdonalds for nothing. Been everywhere I can think of. I cant find any hose or some kind of plug to complete the elephant hose mod. Ive decided ill order 19mm radiator hose and try to find some way of plugging the hole when ive got the hose. Unless any one can direct me to a site or something where I can find a rubber stop or something. I tried plumbers shops and couldnt find anything. Im done driving around today lol. I even checked ***fords used to sell the radiator hose for £3 per Meter but they don't sell it any more....

if u are going down the oil can route it seems to split. either buy a cheaper can which runs at 13-15mm pipe or pay double for a 19mm can which doesn't restrict air flow. both arguement's have + and - points. I'm hoping to fit a catch can this year and clean out my EGR as I know it hasn't been touched since new.

• Like 1