Hutchysrs50 the second - 'The project'

hutchysrs50

Intercooler.

This is the standard intercooler, it's a side mount intercooler (smic) and was removed from the driver side wheel arch.

image.jpg

I'm replacing it with the THS uprated intercooler, it's the seat sport style one but has uprated tanks, stronger welds and is thicker for better cooling

image.jpg

image.jpg

And a quick blury one in place... In the rain!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Small progress today, had to alter the turbo housing more to avoid the driveshaft hitting it. Pain in the arss when fitted to the car, also the small bolt was hitting the oil return pipe so had to be alterd slightly as well!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Jabba sport cone in the box

With most of the engine bay going back together I started putting some of the basics back in, upgrading where I can.

Standard air filter on the left, about 5k miles old and a jabbasport cone filter on the right, designed to go into the standard airbox. Cleaned the cone filter with proper green cotton cleaner and warm water and blew it out with the air line before fitting. I also cleaned out the air filter box while it was out of the car, washed the inside and again blew it out with the air hose.

image.jpg

Pd 160 intake

With the air filter in place, I thought about time I upgraded to the pd160 intake, the cold air feed from the seat ibiza cupra model. Some say it makes improvements, others say it's just witchcraft! Either way I take it as an upgrade from standard so changed it.

Bigger intake on the left, standard intake on the right.

image.jpg

Darkside turbo intake pipe

I imagine this is more for 'show than go' but the theory behind it is good. Will stop the airbox being sucked towards the engine, as well as being bigger and smoother for a faster air intake.

Oh and looks great in the engine bay.

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The pipe going along the front towards the alternator goes down to atmosphere, not that anything comes out of it, you get very light smoke sometimes from the filter but that's about it.

I wanted minimal pressure in the crank case so wanted a can with two outlets and one inlet. I thought about it for a while with running it back into the turbo intake pipe but didn't want to risk any build up of oil in the can being drawn out the tank and back into the turbo. I also didn't want the filter being used to suck air into the engine either as it's after the maf etc and wouldn't be regulated.

I'm happy with how it is for now and think I have the best of both worlds anyway.

That's my worry!

When I was getting some pipes welded I almost! Got the blank on the turbo intake pipe welded over but thought I best leave it for now incase I ever change it back, a bung and some very bling red tape got out around it for now :D

• Like 1