Are markings for tow bar cut out on the diffuser?

KBPhoto

One of the first jobs I'll be doing to my Yeti will be to fit a towbar.

No towbar prep on this one unfortunately, which m sans having to cut the bumper. I've sourced the frame and cover for the cutout quite cheap, but are there any markings on the inside of the rear bumper diffuser to show where the hole needs to be?

There are cut out marks on the Octavia I have, but every Yeti bumper diffuser I've looked at on the net does't seem to have any markings.

Anyone confirm that there are or are not there?

If not, how do you go about getting the hole cut ion the correct place?

Would the dealer be able to do it if I walked in with the rear diffuser / bumper (by arrangement, of course)?

Thanks Graham.

Yes, the pseudo-metal lower section of the rear bumper. The standard diffuser.

I've looked at several on the internet, on the inside, and cannot see any with markings for the tow bar cut out.

I guess that there would be, but was wondering if anyone had actually seen them and can confirm they are there or whether it is a trip to the deal to see if they have a template for such things.

confirmed shape is marked on inside - if you need car specific electrics fitted pm me I used a guy from derby whilst at my mums in nth worcs - fitted it all in 2 hours and coded the system - I realise you have a vcds so the electrics kit was by right connections uk ltd 01952608750  www.rightconnections.co.uk and coding instruction/guide in the fitting bumpf!

• Like 1

confirmed shape is marked on inside - if you need car specific electrics fitted pm me I used a guy from derby whilst at my mums in nth worcs - fitted it all in 2 hours and coded the system - I realise you have a vcds so the electrics kit was by right connections uk ltd 01952608750  www.rightconnections.co.uk and coding instruction/guide in the fitting bumpf!

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'll be getting the OE Skoda 13 pin kit and fitting it myself. My experiences of the Right Connections kit is that they don't fully integrate with the car electrics and are not accessible via VCDS.

Thanks for the tip for the guy in Derby though.

Hi Karl, why not have a look at this feature, the video might not help too much but the pics may, http://www.philtaylortowbars.co.uk/#/skoda-yeti-feature/4577253717

Ian.

Thanks for that. I know it's going to take me longer than the 5 guys in the video, but I've done it all in an Octavia so am comfortable with doing it myself over a whole day.

I am curious as to why they carefully marked and drilled four holes in the section they were to cut out!

post-59543-0-45777200-1413196510_thumb.png

Not sure, I was in the office when they were doing it, probably on my second cup of tea! Might have been something to do with using the genuine Skoda cutting tool needing accurate placing.

ok, when electrics installed, the guy used a westfalia marked box into the obdc socket, 5 mins all coded and working as it should! maybe there is a diff between righ... and westfalia!!

None of the companies I have seen selling the cover and trim for the cut out mention any template.

Perhaps this only comes with the official tow bar (and not the cover kit)?

But again, the tow bars I have looked at make no mention of this template.

Westfalia just do the bar, possibly the template would be supplied with the official skoda bar via a dealership with associated price hike, got my west... from p.f jones m/cr along with the electrics kit - cheapest at the time(2mnths ago)

Have the towbar fitted ,then try to return the bumper into place.You will see where and how much to cut so the bumper can return to its place.

Not if you are fitting a removable hook type tow bar, as the removable panel has to have a frame fitted inside the bumper.

None of the companies I have seen selling the cover and trim for the cut out mention any template.

Perhaps this only comes with the official tow bar (and not the cover kit)?

But again, the tow bars I have looked at make no mention of this template.

The official kit comes with a frame that fits and is glued inside the bumper, around the markings that you have carefully cut. This then forms the "hatch".

I've not seen a template and as said it isn't needed as the markings are quite obvious inside the bumper.

Thanks jerbear.

I'll let you know how I get on once I've got it all in place (cover, frame, towbar, electrics and not forgetting a Yeti!)

Hi KBPhoto,

Don't know if you got all the parts etc yet but,

I had my tow-bar fitted by 'GT Towing' of Welham Green, Herts.

They may have any parts you need, as they have a large stock in their shop.

They seem to know what they are doing as they coded mine and showed me all working before I paid.

• Like 1

The Westfalia kit fitted to my FL Yeti also had an "eye" for the breakaway cable whereas my previous pre-FL didn't have. Does your kit have this?

Fred

Or get the part number for the factory panel which is made with a soft patch rather than cutting one out.

I looked up part numbers yesterday and could only find one silver trim for the rear bumper.

The Westfalia kit fitted to my FL Yeti also had an "eye" for the breakaway cable whereas my previous pre-FL didn't have. Does your kit have this?

I haven't got a bar yet, but none I've looked at have a breakaway eye. Not sure how that would fit with the bar being so far up inside the bumper.

Or get the part number for the factory panel which is made with a soft patch rather than cutting one out.

As far as I know there is only one part, which is the one that is fitted to all Yeti's, and as several of us have said, has the markings on the inside.