Alloy wheel coating - Carbon Collective update...

alex_e3

Just had some alloys powdercoated to put on the Fabia. However, I want to make sure they're well protected before they go on. I'm in two minds what product to use. I'm very tempted to get some Carbon Collective or Gtechniq C5 on them to give them a hard top coat.

Has anyone used either of these products before? Does it last as long as they say it does? I'm worried that if I get some tougher deposits on the alloys that I will need to use tar remover which will then strip it off. Which sort of makes the point of it being a 'semi-permanent' coating a bit redundant.

Also, is it ok to top it up with normal wheel sealant?

Wondering whether a normal wheel sealant that doesn't last as long would be a better idea on its own...

Thanks all!

Carbon Collective Platinum Wheel sealant every time

Have used other wheel sealants in the past, but this stuff is ace

Crud just rinses off

Really small bottle, but you only need a few drops on a cotton pad to cover a wheel

Lasts up to 2 years before renewing

Bears Wax Factory sell it, and you can get a discount code to make it a bit cheaper...

In fact its on offer now >http://www.bearswaxfactory.co.uk/carbon-collective-platinum-wheels-748-p.asp

Honestly, the BEST product I have ever used!

• Like 3

I have carbon collective on my black alloys after Chris recommended it. The difference in keeping them clean now and before when I used a bilberry wheel wax is night and day. So far all I've had to use is normal car shampoo and wheel woolies and a dooka wheel pad to keep them clean and a quick spritz with sonax BSD once finished.

you will however need to be careful when you apply it. As with anything like this cleanliness is key, so they will need to be off the car and spotless- they recommend a final wipe down with IPA on an mf cloth. I bought some more lint free makeup pads as the 1 supplied wasn't enough. I ended up using at least 1 per wheel which meant you were always using a clean one and the ceramic sealer goes off quite quickly.

you also need to be aware of streaking caused by over application which really shows up on black- it looks like oil on water, but the way to avoid this is covered in their instructions by wiping over with a clean mf cloth. I would also recommend you do this in very good directional light so you can see any streaks easily. I applied the 2nd coat when it was starting to get dusk so contrast levels were low and I ended up getting a few streaks. I removed them with some farecela paint renovator a few weeks later as I didn't spot them straight away, but any similar polishing product with deminishing abrasives in would do.

Although a pian to do if the wheels are already on your car I would still highly recommend the carbon collective ceramic wheel sealer and theres even a discount code in Chris's pinned post in this section. Good luck.

oh and you'll need some of those thin disposable gloves you get in boxes of 100? too. Again I used 1 set per wheel just to be safe

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice gents! :thumbup::)

Let's say I hadn't cleaned my car for a while (which does happen every so often) and there was a load of brake dust and tarring on them... what would be the best plan of attack from there? As obviously I wouldn't want to strip it.

As mentioned above, will some mild polish occasionally remove the coating potentially? As gloss black alloys tend to be prone to mild surface scratches from my past experience.

As for application... thankfully they've just come straight back from the powdercoaters! So they're going to be sorted before they go near the car :)

Yes..any polish will affect the coating...TBH you wont need it

Just Pressure wash them clean and wash with soapy water. Thats it

You wont need to use any wheel cleaning products at all..for at least 2 years ...possibly more

• Like 1

Yep...Ceramic sealant...Just like CC Platinum

Just wandering Chris, what did you put on Amy's anapurnas? Did you use abyss?

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I used the Carbon Collective wheel sealant on my freshly powdercoated TT Comps for the Fabia. I applied 2 coats before Christmas following the instructions to a tee.

The first couple of washes of the car was fine - water seemed to bead off no problem. However, I've been really busy at work the last few weeks, and due to that and poor weather I haven't had a chance to clean the car for the last 3 weeks.

I finally cleaned it today, and the wheels seem to have lost their beading ability quite substantially in places. I have also found that the brake dust appears to be etching into them already  :S  :wall:   There are also what appears to be several tar stains on them that washing with a mitt didn't remove.

I use a CYC lambs wool mitt to clean the alloys using 2 bucket method and PH neutral Chemical Guys shampoo.

Does the brake dust eat into the Carbon Collective coating quickly or something? I simply sometimes do not have the time to wash the car religiously every week, and I thought this stuff was meant to be a damn good protector...   I'm feeling pretty miffed at the moment to be honest, as it just doesn't seem possible to keep a daily car mint without being consistently anal about everything. Now I have to put a massive amount of effort in to de-contaminate them - perhaps even having to polish them before re-protecting them before they are mint again...

Advice please!?!!!

How often do you wash the wheels?

I ask, because this is possibly the reason

Brake dust is very corrosive and will affect the CC...if not washed off regularly

If everyweek, then I will be puzzled

I havent seen any of the symptoms you describe, with mine

I usually wash them once a week. But due to above circumstances I just haven't been able to until today.

I'm feeling quite disheartened to be honest. Pretty peeved that I put loads of effort into making sure they were all prepped and coated correctly before they went on...  Seems like a waste of money also, as the stuff is far from cheap!

It must be the brake dust. The fronts are more etched than the rears by quite a bit too, backing this thought up.

Guess I'll just have to make absolutely sure that I wash them once they're polished up and re-protected.

Got to feel for Alex. I'd guess for most people a weekly wash isn't a possibility, then if you do quite a bit of mileage like I do then you've got no chance. Unsure if it's worth the time and money (wheels off etc)?