Best cleaner for inside of alloys

Southy

I'm after advice on what is the best cleaner to be using on the inside of my set of wheels to remove all the stubborn brake dust before I polish them and apply Carbon Collective Platinum wheels.

Quite alot of products out there

When I do this, I use a fairly strong cleaner (Wonder Wheels or Meguiars All Wheels)...and use a brush to apply, then leave to work for 30 minutes, before washing off

Follow that with an iron remover like IronX or Dragons Breath...various out there

Wash off...Dry and degrease with Panel Wipe or Alcohol

Your wheels will then be totally clean and ready for the CC Platinum Ceramic Sealer

PS..Dont polish them first

• Like 1

Glad you pointed out not to polish them first. I was under the impression you polish them and then apply it. How come don't you polish them.before applying may I ask?

I have some Tardis and chemical guys decon, will these products suffice or will the above products you mentioned be better suited for the job?

Tardis is good...Should have mentioned that...LOL

You need a product free base or the Ceramic Sealant wont bond

Cant emphasise enough...That the CC will not bond if there are any contaminents/products

If you get stuck...Call up here and I can help you do it

• Like 1

I've recently bought Gyeon iron 5ltrs of it as I really rate it, it's now my favourite alloy cleaner, it's aggressive enough while still being kind.

I used to use purple rain but this stuff is much better.

Thanks Chris, I will have to get some.

I need to do the car at some point it's looking like an off roader at the moment :)

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how the CC stuff compares to Chemical Guys Wheel Guard?

I've lapsed on the detailing front over the last few years [swirlomatics, I know, I know...] but with the arrival of my brand new Superb I'm looking to give it some TLC and have a pot of Wheel Guard knocking around. Thanks for any advice.

CG Wheel Guard is an acrylic sealant paste product..

Applied like a wax and buffed off...Durability around 2 to 3 months..with two coats

Carbon Collective Platinum Wheel Sealant is a Ceramic Sealant which bonds to the surface of the wheel..it effectively adds another coat of 'paint' to your alloy

It dries rock hard...Look at the applicator after an hour or so..It will be solid....Durability around 2 years...applied once

You would need to bake the coating at several hundred degrees to actually get ceramic :giggle:

But the SiO2 Silica coatings are far more durable than synthetic wheel wax, but prep needs to be very very good to get the benefit fully.

• Like 2

prep needs to be very very good to get the benefit fully.

Yep, I read that. Do you really need to wipe down with IPA [no, not Greene King..], my wheels are new and have had nothing applied, unless the the dealer unexpectedly applied Diamondbrite to them.

You would need to bake the coating at several hundred degrees to actually get ceramic :giggle:

But the SiO2 Silica coatings are far more durable than synthetic wheel wax, but prep needs to be very very good to get the benefit fully.

I read and digest the bumph that is written about these products Mark...They all state 'Ceramic'

Now how this word is interpreted could be open to abuse I guess

Im not a Scientist, so if you say that is incorrect, then fine by me

Cheers