TommyH's GTB-powered mk1 vRS

TommyH

So I was back at Kev's again today to finish off the GTB conversion. Big thanks to Kev for his hard work

First job was PD150 headbolts, looked like I'd been getting a bit of headlift from the amount of coolant that had gone missing

Next the standard turbo came off the car and the GTB went on, the size difference is laughable. I actually thought (for some reason) it had a garrett as standard but I was wrong; was a KKK. Considering it's done 95k there's absolutely no play in the shaft of the old turbo and it looks generally quite healthy

01c7e50c346a67682565953f040c5d77367e75d9

So once the turbo was on we had to make the downpipe fit, genuine PITA of a job but here's the old and new ones next to each other. The new one is a 2.5" piper decat with the new flange for the GTB welded onto it

01eec13c3649996c110b5619ea29e09bddd4ecb6

Kev also knocked a bracket together to support the turbo, proper bodging at it's finest - it fits a treat

01e6b2bc64410363e92ce6aea3622a8c8d186231

Here's the GTB on the car, can't see a lot mind. This was while Kev put together an oil return, took some time due to the awkward angle of the original one and the position on the turbo it needed to reach.

01d79b802edcfe565cdd563f3da467250a31eeab

It's a right long process getting one of these turbos to fit but fair does, Kev's done a right good job on it. I chipped in with my contribution of fitting the 4 bar map sensor (makes all the difference, you know). Once everything was on we did a quick oil and filter change and then went out to do some data logging and get the turbo set up. My current map from Faboka is only running 1.85 bar of boost and it's a huge improvement over the standard turbo, plenty more to come from it as well hopefully

• Like 2

No probs Tom :)

Had forgotten what a pain the oil return is, cutting and re-angling the pipe like I've done to yours is the best job out of the ones I've done.

Quick question what torque do you do the headbolts at? One of the jobs I still need to do on my own car.

Just replacing one at a time? 100nm, angle tighten 180degrees.

If heads off book says 4 stages,40nm,60nm, angle tighten 90degrees, angle tighten 90 degrees.

He's the busiest pensioner i know our Kev!

Stop being ageist Matthew :(

Your not far behind me anyway!

• Like 1

No probs Tom :)

Had forgotten what a pain the oil return is, cutting and re-angling the pipe like I've done to yours is the best job out of the ones I've done.

Tom's had all the best jobs done...  I made such a neater job of his intercooler than my own ha ha!

Guest BigJase88

No spray paint over the chopped crash bar?

Looks good progress

The widemouth for everyday use is more of a 'look' tbh. Not required for road use.

My old fabia had the widemouth done at the front for track use. Was a tuning companys show car. The widemouth wasnt to aid the intercooler i believe it was to keep the rad temps down on track

Tom's had all the best jobs done...  I made such a neater job of his intercooler than my own ha ha!

Haha, it's all about your timing :D

No spray paint over the chopped crash bar?

Looks good progress

The widemouth for everyday use is more of a 'look' tbh. Not required for road use.

My old fabia had the widemouth done at the front for track use. Was a tuning companys show car. The widemouth wasnt to aid the intercooler i believe it was to keep the rad temps down on track

I don't have any immediate plans to widemouth, I do like the look but it's not at all a priority to get it done - hence the lack of spray paint on the crash bar. There were other plans for the crash bar but for a couple of reasons (main one being that ibiza crash bars are tougher than almost anything else on planet earth) it's stayed as it is. It's all measured up and ready though.

I've barely driven the car since the turbo went on so it's still a great novelty. I had the weekend driving a CR140 Yeti which put the power from the new turbo into perspetive. Next job I need to sort though is the blowing exhaust, I popped down to a place near me and they said my lack of exhaust paste or a sealent makes it blow until it warms up and the metal expands and seals the gaps

Going from a 2.5inch downpipe down to 2 inch standard system with that reducer will always cause issues :)

It's actually 2.25" but yeah I know hopefully it won't be on there too long. The car sounds absolutely awful with the blowing exhaust. I took the reducer off tonight and put some high temp copper silicone on which will hopefully seal it for the time being

Tom if you need it switching let me know and I can take my laptop to work and pop through Hawarden on my way home from work. Or you can meet me near Caergwrle and we can swap it and datalog.

Let me know...

Sounds good yeah, I finish work at 2 tomorrow so could do either of those. What time would you be able to pass through Hawarden?

I banged some holes in mine to aid airflowc77fb924.jpg

Yeah that's pretty much what we were going for but Alex's air drill had a leak so there wouldn't have been enough power to cut through the Ibiza one, it's very hard. There's a big power drill lying round at home somewhere that'll do it when I get round to it

Typically I don't finish until about 5.30pm tomorrow. So it would be about 5.45pm. Can do it if you want though...

Yeah thats cool, drop me a text on your way from work and I'll meet you somewhere suitable. Data logging could get a bit hairy at rush hour haha

Guest BigJase88

I used a holesaw

I got through with a 51mm holesaw i think with a 18v battery drill

Top tip is slow speed when cutting with a decent sized holesaw. If your drill has a speed setting stick it on the lowest setting or have a steady trigger finger

Same with a small drill bit slow speed is better than flat out. Flat out just burns. Cutting is better than burning

What you want is a dormer aoo2 tin tipped drill bit. Will go through like butter. easily the best drill bits available imo