what basic car care products to get.

mikejay

Got some vouchers for christmas from b+q not much only £30. Im wanting to get some cleaning products. There are so many different kinds of cloths and polishes eg micro fiber waxing pads chamoies etc which are the basic requirements for a nice clean car? Also whats the correct procedure and order for using.

B&Q dont do a good range..or anything I would buy Mike

Ill have a look and see and get back to you

OK

They sell mainly 'Kent' products

The MF cloths are ok...ish....better at Costco

The MF applicator pads are good...I use those

The MF 'sponge' is fine too..I use one on my wheels

Avoid normal sponges, brushes etc.....

• Like 1

The best start to car cleaning is the two bucket method (2BM), this will reduce how much you scratch the car when you wash it (everyone scratches a car when we wash it. Its unavoidable).

So, you'll need two buckets and some car shampoo. Then you need a wash mitt. Either microfibre, lambswool or noodle. Basically, not a sponge as the dirt has nowhere to go so gets dragged along the paintwork and scratches it.

For drying I use a kent microfibre drying towel. You can get those at B&Q and they're pretty decent. Again, chamois like a sponge don't leave anywhere for the dirt to go, so can scratch the paint if any dirt and grit is missed on your wash.

Thata the bbest starting point. Microfibre appicator pads are best IMO for applying all-in-one polishes like Autoglym Super Resin Polish etc so may be worth picking some of those up if you fancy doing that at some point.

HTH buddy

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Chris i had just read your post in another thread about why not to use a sponge and my sponge is now in the bin!

Also i like a good wet look black tyre. Alot of products i have used in the past just dry grey. How to you get that wetlook that stays?

I have a preasure washer but been wary of using it because of the preasure. Its a kartcher would it be ok and not damage the paint?

Also i like a good wet look black tyre. Alot of products i have used in the past just dry grey. How to you get that wetlook that stays?

Meguiars Endurance Tyre Shine

Great stuff

I have a preasure washer but been wary of using it because of the preasure. Its a kartcher would it be ok and not damage the paint?

They are fine and wont unless you are stupid

I really dont think you can clean a car as well without a Pressure washer

I don't know what attachments you have with yours but I only ever use one of the auto nozzles I got with my last Nilfisk (which gives a soft fan shaped spray that I use from between 2 and 3 feet away) so as long as you use something similar you'll be fine. The yard stick I use is if it would hurt my hand from a similar distance then it's too concentrated a pattern or too close. If you have a normal fan spray, just use it a bit further away. Like Chris I think that used correctly jet washes are the only way.

forgot to add I use any sponges that have been bought for me for christmas etc. to apply the tyre dressing rather than bin them, but I wouldn't use them on my paint....ever.

also.... I also use the Kent mf drying towels (not the mf cloths) and find them to be very good. I use a wooly mammouth first, then these to finish off, 1 for the paitwork and a seperate one for the shuts and under the bonnet. The mf cloths from costco are excellent, but you have to buy 2 packs if ordering on line.

Hi Mike

I'm a newbie here and the best thing I've picked up in terms of tyre dressing durability is to make sure you wipe/scrub/clean the tyre walls with some all purpose cleaner before you apply the dressing. It seems to last much longer that way and retains it's dark colour quite well.

As Chris said Meg's Endurance is good. I am on some Autobrite stuff at the moment which I find good also.

Good luck!

20150107_141116.jpg 20150107_141058.jpg20150107_140750.jpg just been b+ q and they have a pritty good choice. I know the pics a bit far away but can anyone see anythin there they recommend?

Wonder wheels Hot Rims is great and as good as IronX...BUT.....Its £4 at Morrisons

ArmourAll Vinyl Protection is good

Car Plan Tyre slick is good

All AG products are good but I personally dont rate AG Super Resin (AIO)Polish, but the formula has changed, so may be less dusty and heavy with fillers

BTW......Stay away from Demon Shine...It destroys your LSP due to it being loaded with solvent

I would NOT be tempted with anything else

Some of the armour all products are good. I like their leather wipes, other than that your best options from that lot have to be AG products.

Maybe some rain x, it's not bad but there's much better out there.

Wonder wheels Hot Rims is great and as good as IronX...BUT.....Its £4 at Morrisons

ArmourAll Vinyl Protection is good

Car Plan Tyre slick is good

All AG products are good but I personally dont rate AG Super Resin (AIO)Polish, but the formula has changed, so may be less dusty and heavy with fillers

BTW......Stay away from Demon Shine...It destroys your LSP due to it being loaded with solvent

I would NOT be tempted with anything else

The new formula of Super Resin polish ia pretty good Chris. Doesn't dust like the previous formula and is improved in all aspects, which it needed to be as the last formula was designed in 1982!!! Difinitely worth a go, still smells the same though!

Carplan tyre slik is a winner! But Autoglym are the beat manufacturer there.

• Like 1

Carlack68 NSC is a decent AIO, doesn't contain any fillers though. Okay if you've got pristine paintwork, but for a quick spruce up an AIO needs fillers really. Prima amigo is the best that I've used, followed by SRP.

Car Plan Wheel cleaner is rubbish

I was given some a while ago..It did nothing

I threw it away

Demon Shine comes in various sizes, according to whether its a spray or pour...It gives good results for about a week on bare paintwork

If applying over an existing product, it will eventually degrade it

• Like 1

As someone else mentioned earlier the Kent drying towel is supposed to be OK - better be I bought a couple last week! Also the "noodle mit if nothing else should be fine for sills and wheels. They are 2 for £6 at the moment I think but it probably does not say soon the shelf. Similarly the Autoglym mix and match you need to check that you are actually saving not buying a cheaper second bottle!

Been and got some tools for the job. Ill go back and get some products after more of your recomendations. Always been a sponge and quick wash kinda guy but im gona start putting more care into it.20150107_175404.jpg