Cleaning under the bonnet

Stewpotz

That should be ok but the Snow foam wont clean much

Make sure the engine is warm

You will be better spraying with APC/degreaser or Citrus prewash, brushing, then selective short blasts with the PW (Cover some obvious electricals with cling film

Use some old MF cloths to dry and then spray with some engine bay protectorant

• Like 1

I don't use a pressure washer. Totally not necessary. Wouldn't like to fire pressurised water at anything under there. I cover the alternator with a plastic shopping bag and wet it all down. Then spray with a strong APC/degreaser and agitate with a brush. Finally rinse down and jobs a good one. Lkke Chris said, get the engine warm, but not hot. HTH buddy

• Like 2

I'm not nervous about doing that, its a really bad idea. The agitation of the cleaning product will suffice to clean the surface, all the pressure washer will do is compromise the integrity of the seals, wiring etc under there.

An engine bay is designed to get wet, but not be washed down at 110bar of water pressure. I have never heard of a detailer doing what you have just said and I don't think you should be giving out advice that could potentially damage someone's pride and joy. I am not a professional detailer, but I am a professional aircraft engineering technician.

• Like 3

That's fair enough, but it doesn't make sense to me to do it that way when you don't need to take that risk. It serves no purpose at all. I wouldn't take a presure washer near any hermetically sealed connectors on an aircraft, never mind an engine bay.

I'm not trying to belittle Chris' experience, but just don't agree with him on this one. It's up to you though pal.

• Like 3

Have you spoken to the RAF careers office in town? Thats where I went.

If you're not bothered about Aircraft, a good friend of mine went to work for Seimens on the wind farms with the same degree as yours buddy. He is very well paid.

I'm not nervous about doing that, its a really bad idea. The agitation of the cleaning product will suffice to clean the surface, all the pressure washer will do is compromise the integrity of the seals, wiring etc under there.

An engine bay is designed to get wet, but not be washed down at 110bar of water pressure. I have never heard of a detailer doing what you have just said and I don't think you should be giving out advice that could potentially damage someone's pride and joy. I am not a professional detailer, but I am a professional aircraft engineering technician.

Thanks for that Hunty.......If I didnt think it was OK I wouldnt recommend doing it

Just to put this into perspective.......If I didnt know what I was doing, do you think that I would do it to a clients car?

Never had any issues at all ...

I reiterate...You dont flood the engine..Selective short blasts where needed.

However as I have said, if its not for you, there are other methods you can adopt

• Like 2

The best way I've ever found is use a parafin gun on an airline, chuck some petrol in pot, give the COLD engine a spray all over with it and leave it to vent/drain.

I've got a blue Peter badge.

You win, although, I'm not sure of the environmental implications of your method.

I wasn't trying to have a p***ing contest, just explain that although detailing isn't my primary job, I know a lot about wiring and mechanical components

Funnily enough at the same time this discussion was taking place another was on facebook: -

•  

Autobrite-Direct UK Power rinse Karl. Agitate with our DBS engine brush and citrus wash 
- rinse. Then protected.

Like · 9 hrs

•  

Karl Gibbons Always afraid to incase i damage elec ect

Like · 1 · 9 hrs

•  

Autobrite-Direct UK Cover up the parts that you are concerned about Karl with black bin bags. Protects when rinsing. Don't forget to remove them before you start the car though. Also when you power rinse stand approx 2 meters away from the engine bay and put your pressure washer lance on a wide angle spray so you are lightly misting water over it. Or if you don't want to use a PW then rinse with a open ended hose.

Like · 9 hrs

•  

Karl Gibbons Sweet ta for expert advice

Like · 1 · 9 hrs

•  

Autobrite-Direct UK Your welcome Karl

Like · 9 hrs

•  

Craig Nicholson Same here my engine bay is manky but to scared incase I break something

Like · 9 hrs

•  

Autobrite-Direct UK If you are unsure then hose rinse you will be fine. Just remember our engines are exposed to a certain amount of water spray when on the road.

Like · 9 hrs

•  

Craig Nicholson Yeah true may just take it to detailer to be safe haha

Like · 1 · 9 hrs

•  

Autobrite-Direct UK If you live close to us we
Can help on that craig lol

Like · 9 hrs

•  

Craig Nicholson Where abouts are you?

Like · 9 hrs

•  

Autobrite-Direct UK Stoke on Trent, staffs Craig. St5 Ouu

Like · 9 hrs

•  

Craig Nicholson Ah I am in durham 3 hours away

Like · 1 · 9 hrs

I have to say that it's something I've never done either.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I believe that autobrite have got this wrong. We spend hours researching the most LSP safe shampoo, the gentlest yet most effective wheel cleaners and snow foam. We take the time to put protection on places like our door seals and other inconspicuous areas and yet the place where things are most likely to go drastically wrong and cost the most money to repair, we spray dangerous chemicals and heavy solvent based cleaners on rubber hoses, soft plastic casing and electrical connections and pressure wash it off at 110bar? Then all those solvents will disperse all over the engine bay when contacted by the pressurised water and trickle all the way to the bottom of the engine compartment stripping all greases and oils and allowing all rubbers and seals to crack and age harden?

This is not an attack on anyones methods, each to their own. But aren't we trying to protect our investments?

If you think I'm talking rubbish then fair enough. But what do we all think?

I'm even less happy with my method of an weak dilution of APC and a watering can now. My grandad did tell me, never buy a car with a clean engine bay!

Please discuss.

• Like 3

I haven't taken the pressure washer to my current car, but I did to a civic I once owned and I covered all vital parts, and it was fine.

I wouldn't object to doing it again, it worked for me.