'Extra Gloss Protection'

Jrjg

So I was recently given an unwanted Autoglym kit that had been sat in a shed for years. The majority of the kit is still sealed.

In it contained an opened bottle of 'Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection' on opening it and giving it a quick sniff, I immediately thought 'good grief, someone has refilled it with petrol!'

After reading the contents it does contain 'petroleum distillate'

The instructions (paraphrased) for use are as follows:

Wash and dry the vehicle. If necessary use super resin polish to improve paintwork. Apply minimum quantity evenly over paintwork surface, do not apply pressure or rub, allow to dry completely, buff gently to a brilliant shine.

Now my question:

Surely putting a petrol based 'protection' product onto freshly polished paint and then buffing it to a 'brilliant shine' will strip the polish?

Looking forward to using the kit, all sorts inside of it, interior shampoos, engine bay cleaner, glass polish, all sorts.

JRJG

Firstly, polishing a car is to remove defects etc, you can't "strip" polish. You can with some products remove the fillers which are contained within the AG Super Resin Polish. But AGSRP & EGP are designed to be used together, so no issues there.

I'd personally be wary of using the EGP & the AGSRP if it has been in the shed for years. The liquid has probably split, it only has a certain shelf life. Even if it was new EGP is not a great product.

If you still use it make sure all of the products are shaken well. If funds allow, then I'd recommend buying something a bit better & with greater durability.

It is 'petro' based, ...most sealants have a content..and waxes..quite normal

Its a liquid sealant designed to be a LSP in conjunction with SRP..as you state.... but not very durable IME

Apply after every 2 or 3 washes and its OK

Or...Watch out for the beading failing and then reapply

I've not used EGP since my biking days, I always found it looked quite well on the petrol tank but didn't look great on plastics.

I'm not a big fan of it in all honesty but like Chris said over SRP it's ok, don't expect great durability out of it though.

Not worth it in my opinion, especially compared with other LSPs on the market.

If you have SRP in the pack (Super Resin Polish) I've had good results with that. Apply that, then I'd use a durable wax as your Last Step Product instead.

Okay, I have the Super Resin Polish, two bottles of it now so I will give it a try the next time I polish it, into the Spring realistically. Am I right in saying that this is to be used as the final 'layer'. As in, a wax is not to be used on top of the Gloss Protection?

Not worth it in my opinion, especially compared with other LSPs on the market.

If you have SRP in the pack (Super Resin Polish) I've had good results with that. Apply that, then I'd use a durable wax as your Last Step Product instead.

Thank you very much for the explanation of 'LSP' :thumbup:

JRJG

Leaving EGP out of the equation as I don't think it's worth applying, I would use SRP then a wax on top for durability.

Something like Collinite 476S would be my preference, but depends what you're after really. Other options will give you different results, with varying durability. 476S will happily bead for 9-12 months plus on cars I've dealt with, even left outside - exposed to the elements etc.

• Like 1

Okay, I have the Super Resin Polish, two bottles of it now so I will give it a try the next time I polish it, into the Spring realistically. Am I right in saying that this is to be used as the final 'layer'. As in, a wax is not to be used on top of the Gloss Protection?

Thank you very much for the explanation of 'LSP' :thumbup:

JRJG

you use SRP first then EGP on top. As above I've used it in the past, but without SRP and it wasn't that durable but as its a liquid its very easy and quick to use, which is one of its advantages.

I used to use SRP on my bikes as it does a reasonable job of filling slight swirls etc in the tank's paintwork. In itself neither are that bad but there are better products out there ( and worse ones!) So I'd say give it a go and see how youget on and if you're happy with it use it up first before you get anything else otherwise like a few of us you'll end up with loads of stuff you don't use......

• Like 2

Good advice from 'Stranger' Wardy

Where have you been Steve?

Hi Chris - lack of time to devote to the wonder of Brisky really :) So thought I'd pop my head in, and see what was happening!