Eibach Springs & Speed Bumps

devonutopia

Hullo

Just been down to the local chippie in the lowly sprung thing, and going over speed bumps felt totally weird. The car seemed to be bouncing over the bumps as opposed to soaking up the shock. This could be a charcteristic of the springs, but bumps I could take at 20mph before cannot be done comfortably without going down to 15mph or below. Can anyone confirm this is the case, so I can put my mind at rest the suspension is OK. I've not felt these symptoms anywhere else but over speed bumps, yet, so I'm not too bothered about it.

However, this little thing has got me thinking about finding another route to the chippie, and avoiding all speed bumps, where possible, in the future. I'm sure this little thing is going to seem SO trivial compared to the benefit whilst cornering though. :D

This is true, but along normal undulations they're not that much different from my regular springs, but definitely not around bends. I think I'll just see it as a querk and adapt to it. I got the same feeling when I went from my steels to the alloys, and coped with that OK too.

Hi Jason,

Congratulations on getting your springs fitted - you are now an official member of the Skoda Eibach club!

I recall FabiaTDi or ? mentioning cutting down bump stops to cure this effect - have a look through some of the threads.

Ther is no doubt that once you are lowered, speed humps present more of a hazard - I have already had to change one of my "ratrun" roads in Fulham due to the road centre mountains!

John.

Damn - brakes? what are they? :D

I think I'm going to have to respect bumps & holes in the road a lot more.

John - I remember that bump stop trimming too, and I mentioned it to my mate that fitted the springs, and he didn't want to start messing with that, and neither did I honestly. It's something I'll have to live with, but it's not exactly a tough thing now, is it? Not when the car looks that much better, and handles superbly.

• Administrators
Originally posted by devonutopia in this post

Not when the car looks that much better, and handles superbly.

She'll get offended, genderless speak like that...

Well I'll give you and others fair warning of a royal sucker of a bend on this route...basically picture wonderfull, superb open flowing B road, then you spy a roller coaster of a slight right into a dip for a rising left hander, you prepare your stomaach fora nice bit of G and urgh the wheezy old B road is flat bottomed...little minx she was, very nice all the same :D Should be a nice feel for how well she settles down again.

• Administrators
Originally posted by devonutopia in this post

You're not referring to a certain part that kind of sounds like a foot of an animal are you, Colin? ( desperately not trying to give away which part he's talking about, to maintain the secret :rolleyes: ) :D

New section of road, about 100 miles south of the one you refer to...far better aswell :D

It will take a while to get used to the new springs. They bed in a little too after a while.

Excessive bounciness is caused by the bump stops.

I would describe the ride on mine as firm but not bouncy.

You can always compare yours to mine and see what you think.

• Administrators
Originally posted by Fabpreza in this post

What wheels did you get in the end ?

umm cheap and cheerfull as I was bound to do somthing to them...

DSCF0016.sized.jpg

Well I did...although a bit quicker than I had hoped for They are Team dynamics 17" @72 per wheel they have some cheapo rubber nankang dinae wana grip stuff on.

But I like em, has attracted a few more "heads" now.

However it added to the setup again. Found cornering (say a roundabout) the car tended to feel like it bobbed.

Not found that with the reduced profile, maybe it was wall movement...who knows.

Sorry for hijacking your thread J.

Hiya all,

Im new to this site, but not new to skodas! Didnt realize this site existed but its great!

I've found a tuning shop in my local area which pioneer in new and inventing tuning parts for diesel cars, the thing that im really interested in is the teflon coated injector nozzles which claim to give an instant 20% power gain!!!!!!!! I dont know what you think, but im having mine fitted this wknd. We'll see how it goes I guess!

Cheers Steve:cheers:

Hey Steve - You're the only other person who I've seen is more "westcountry" than me. :thumbup:

You don't hurtle around in a highly tuned RS do you, because I was overtaken on the A30 near me, by one coming from your direction...

What is this company BTW - as it's obviously more local to me than Jabba of Peterborough?

major edit: Just looked at your profile and you've got the same car as me... :rolleyes: Then twigged why the hell would you talk about diesels if you owned an RS...? :rofl:

Also not up for a weekend of thrashing that TDI around wales this weekend, are you? :D - bit soon after joining I guess - "welcome to the site too" - You'll bloody love it!

Welcome to the site Steve :D

Would be interested to find out about this teflon coating of injectors. I assume they are new one and not the old ones taken out an dcoated, as that would cut flow. I assume that it works by not allow deposits to build up so flow would be maintained in the long run, leading to the improvement in power and that such a mod wouldn't really show that much benefit on a new car.

Jason, the effect you are describing is what happens whenb the shocks and springs aren't matched.

Jon

Originally posted by TaviaRS in this post

Jason, the effect you are describing is what happens whenb the shocks and springs aren't matched.

Jon

Hmmm, not 'arf. I've been getting more and more used to it as the week has progressed. This weekend will be the ultimate though.

PS: Anyone know why my two old springs from the front had a slight bend in them? Both had exactly the same bend and it got me a little concerned. I'll bring one to the National if someone wants to take a peek and shed some light on it. :confused: