Airbags on vrs

Its a bit of a balancing act between a secure fixing to stop unruly children mucking about and therefore being possible unsecure and a semi-secure fixing that will give a little if/when as jbyrnes82 photo shows some 9 to 12" of bodywork peneration into the childseat area of the car occurs which persoally I'd prefer.

Its the million dollar question parents are faced with all the time, whats best for my child/ren and as I said before, there are no right or wrong answers its the parents prerogative.

Also try finding a high back booster in isofix. You don't have a lot of choice!

I loved isofix for newborn, but now my sons 2 (and the size of a 3-4yr old) I think I'll stick with belted seats. Currently on the look out for a new one though!

The Maxi-Cosi seats seem to offer protection with big sides. Not sure how big they are in the car - again, clearance between door and seat for deployment. They have an iso-fix base that looks convenient for securing the seat whist loading up, but probably a bit pricey.

I bought the rear airbags with no question to offer protection to my 2 yr old. He sits in an isofix seat and up till this thread, I thought I had got it right.

Whatever, it would be safer than me as a child on the parcel shelf of our Rover, fighting the dog for space!

I wouldn't worry about it too much tbh. I don't think there is a clear right or wrong. Depending on the crash one might be better than the other, but then you never know which crash you'll end up in. As themanwithnoaim said: it's the parents decision. And since I suspect none of us a morons who would intentionally endanger the lives of our kids we just chose what we think is best.

The Maxi-Cosi seats seem to offer protection with big sides. Not sure how big they are in the car - again, clearance between door and seat for deployment. They have an iso-fix base that looks convenient for securing the seat whist loading up, but probably a bit pricey.

The car seat for our Audi is a Maxicosi isofix base to go with the pebble until age 6 months or so and then the pearl that we use now. The pearl has pretty good side protection, but I never put it in an octavia (nor the roemer duo plus) so I'm not sure how close they are to the door.

I loved isofix for newborn, but now my sons 2 (and the size of a 3-4yr old) I think I'll stick with belted seats. Currently on the look out for a new one though!

I would be less worried about side airbags than what is in your drinking water . :notme:

I would be less worried about side airbags than what is in your drinking water . :notme:

It's all these growth hormones I'm telling you...

He's already higher than my hip!

He's almost grown out of his recaro Young sport..

I was browsing through the manual and came across the appropriate section...it would appear Skoda suggests that children are safe from the airbag if seated in a child seat.

What - you read the manual!!! That's way to sensible! We prefer to guess at the answers here thanks ;)

I was browsing through the manual and came across the appropriate section...it would appear Skoda suggests that children are safe from the airbag if seated in a child seat.

I read the manual as well regarding that point. The first picture troubled me slightly since a child in a booster seat can sleep with the head against the pillar. Skoda does also mention that that there needs to be enoughroom between pillar and seat. Then again looking at the photo above, not sure what causes greater harm.

Fact is: both our cars are being built this week, we can't change the option. I sincerely hope neither of us ever has to find out if our choice was good or bad.

What I can only suggest to people who aren't sure is to try their own child seat in the can and see how much space is betwwen the pillar and the seat. Then they know for sure as it clearly depends on the seat, when you read the disclaimer from skoda under the picture.

On second thought I should have done the same ;-)

I sincerely hope neither of us ever has to find out if our choice was good or bad.

You can say that again! I've only ever been in one car crash, and it wasn't severe enough* for any of my airbags to go off. *knocks on wood*

*(Well, not severe enough for me, but the bike that crashed into me was totaled...)

Edited by kallekilponen

aagghh. no further forward. I have a 10 year old who falls asleep resting just where I believe the rear airbag would deploy. Wish she was in a car seat with those sides she could rest her head against still. Googling airbags and injuries it is not a great idea to have your face and throat resting on the airbag deployment area. However, myself and the dealer have tried to ask Skoda technical about this via telephone. So far all I've got to 'whether the rear airbag will cause more problems than not in my family's case' is 'That's a good question'.

Decided against rear side airbags as I'd be forever tell my daughter to stop resting across the c-pillar. She is 140cm tall so no car seat and wriggles round a lot. Thanks for that section in the manual Kallekilponen - it made my decision easier.