Dave's adopted mk1 VRS (aka Dan's GTB1756)

Wooody

Looked at a few different Fabias, very nearly bought Terkin's VRS (sorry for mucking you about!), then Dan's came up for sale with loads of work done and i had to go have a look.

Lovely car and couldn't resist. Picked her up yesterday. Here she is nice and clean at Dan's

post-98112-0-64075600-1421614746_thumb.jpg

Adding in detail from Dan's original ad, to remind me what he did to it!

Considering selling my Skoda Fabia VRS. Spec is -
Gtb 1756 turbo 
THS seat sport style fmic and custom pipework
Helix SMF conversion (£1100)
4 bar map sensor
PD150 head bolts
Jetex cone filter
Piper downpipe with fake cat
Piper centre section with long life backbox
AP coilovers
Brembo front brakes
256mm rear brakes
Team dynamic pro race 3 wheels freshly powder coated black and 4 new tyres
Full leather interior
Whiteline rear anti roll bar
Powerflex gearbox bush
Alpine double din head unit
Depo projector headlights
The car is mapped by Fabooka and it's an amazing map, soft cut launch control is enabled and it's pretty much smoke free, never soots up the rear of the car or anything!!
Being it has a helix SMF it does have the normal SMF chatter but you can be sure the clutch will hold up no matter what you throw at it. Also the 256mm rear brakes suffer from common 'mooing' in damp/wet weather while reversing.
Recently machine polished. A folder full of service history and invoices! The Cambelt and water pump was changed in April last year. Recent oil and filter change again by myself.
It's a very reluctant and still undecided sale but I do ideally need a bigger car. I'll be sticking with Skoda as the fabia has really impressed me and been really reliable over the nearly 3 years I have owned it.

• Like 1

Out to the Peak with the dog for a walk. Loving the wipe clean leather!

Too low to just park up on any verge meant I had a longer drive to a car park :-). Loving it so far, it's got loads of character, fantastic raspy growl, and felt like a go cart after my Octy.

post-98112-0-11872700-1421615201_thumb.jpg

post-98112-0-45617400-1421615600_thumb.jpg

Nice one Dave, glad to see a project thread so soon! Hope you enjoy ownership as much as I did!

Picked up my Octy today, feels like a very different car! But I'm enjoying it so far, nice to be in something that feels like a tank :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slow moment so thought I'd update what done and plans:

Done:

• Audi gear knob
  • Detint repeaters
  • Raise it up: gone up 15mm, think it handles better, bit softer ride, don't clench everything up when I see a speedbump, and I prefer the look. Might even go a bit higher!!
  • Front bumper popped off nearside. Back on and a bit of adjusting to get it fitting perfect. Success!

To do (list seems to be getting longer!):

• Get new LED sidelight: one has blown. Anyone know a decent one?
  • Change track rod ends: advisory on last mot and hope will help the slightly vague steering
  • Superpro poly bushes with anti-lift console. Again want to tighten up handling a bit.
  • Source and fit undertray (removed by Dan). Hate the idea of all this snow and salt splashing up into the engine.
  • New front arch liners: worn away by Dan and his lows!  :notme: Need to get to a scrappy.
  • Standard airbox and filter with big intake / use Dan's cold air feed. The cone has seen better days to be honest and a bit worried how well it will be filtering now, like the idea of colder air / less noise with standard airbox.  Faboka says will be fine with the map. Got a standard airbox but lid clip broken so need to source new lid / box)
  • New front discs and pads and repaint / refurb front calipers
  • Save for an LSD. "Don't need one! Don't need one!"
  • Proper clean outside. Never seen so much tar on a car: what you been doing with it Dan? :notme:  Don't want to get the Tardis on it yet as it's got really good carbon collective protective stuff on it which does still bead really well and most of tar has washed off with a bit of elbow grease. This can wait till after winter.

That's it! For now..

Edited by Wooody

Those discs I recommended will do the job. I did buy a set of DS2500 pads for those Brembos but they were mega money. They were going to be fitted same time as new discs :)

Wouldn't be using a paper filter in the airbox with that turbo! There's been a few cases where hybrids have deformed the standard paper filter.

Brite light leds for side lights failing that eBay is full of them :)

In regards to the tar get some APC like I mentioned to you, no reason to be causing swirls by pressing hard to remove the tar especially with that CC coating.

Thanks for replies.  

Dan: interesting about the OEM paper filters: Faboka said he reckoned they'd be fine.  I'll have more a read around.  Not convinced on the filtration of the cone filters.... You still got the DS2500 pads?  If so I'd be interested. Was tempted by some myself but price putting me off. Don't remembering you mentioning APC: anything in particular: does this help shift the tar / muck without removing the CC coating??

Dav-vrs was running a hybrid and that sucked the paper filter inside out. Seen it a few times. Possibly go for a K&N one? Didn't realise the lid on the airbox was broken! Did you break it or is the part there?

It's been in the shed for about 18 months.

You could even use a paper cone filter off a Honda S2000? I am using one on the Octy was about £13 with next day delivery!

My mate had the pads, he'd already claimed dibs before the car even sold.

APC will remove tar without removing the CC coating yes. I can highly recommend you give the windows another coat of something like Aquapel or even the CC platinum glass. I'm trying to find the right time, weather, warmth to fully clean this Octy and seal that in the CC stuff.

If the battery has been relocated to the boot you could always retrofit a larger airbox that is designed for that sort of power.

Something like an Golf Mk5 R32 airbox for example, then perhaps a paper filter might work? Or as above the Honda S2000 cone is paper.

If the battery has been relocated to the boot you could always retrofit a larger airbox that is designed for that sort of power.

Something like an Golf Mk5 R32 airbox for example, then perhaps a paper filter might work? Or as above the Honda S2000 cone is paper.

Te battery is still in the engine bay, never got the chance to move it to the boot like I wanted to unfortunately!

Dan: one of clips was broken off the lid of the airbox when I went to look at it. No worries. I've bought myself another one and some arch liners.

Car is covered in **** again will give it a good clean tomorrow hopefully. I'll have a look at some APC.

Wardy: I am still after an undertray- I'll message you.

Thanks for heads up about the r32 boxes and S2000 cones.

In other news I've fiddled around with the heated screen switch which was sticking and got that working right.

Found the stereo is lacking a aerial power feed thingy, cheap as chips on eBay, hopefully I'll be enjoying BBC Sheffield on the way to work son :-)

Dan's let me know the console bushes haven't been replaced since he had it which has given me a good excuse to go for the full Superpro bush kit ;-) Will be ordered from w8 very soon.

Dry roads today for the first time in ages let me test the brakes from a decent speed. Fair bit of judder, so new discs and pads won't be long..

Still loving the car. Revs so good! And looks way funkier than a boring Octavia!!

APC is pretty cheap online.

Cars are majorly hard to keep clean, you'll grow to hate the rear of that fabia it sucks up all the crap onto the boot! I found that the heated screen button stuck after I had the LED conversion done, never wanted to fiddle about with it though just incase I damaged an LED!

Is that an external power thing for the aerial on the stereo? Like I said via PM don't listen to radio can't stand that garbage they talk! I'm happy the Octy comes with Aux as standard :D

Car does Rev well, I miss that in the Octy but I much prefer the ways Octy sits now! I think it's already lower than the fabia was :D

Dan: switch just needed taking out and putting back in- was catching on something.

Gave it a much needed clean. Then back to back runs with my old Octy. The Fabia is a lot quicker and much gruntier! And makes me smile more! No regrets.

post-98112-0-21881000-1423339745_thumb.jpg

and Dan, yes, the aerial adaptor supplies power to the aerial for better reception. I think oem VAG stereos are hooked up with a 12v feed to the aerial. If you fit an aftermarket stereo you have to fit a little adaptor like this:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-52-Skoda-Fabia-Amplified-ISO-ISO-Aerial-Adaptor-/250507378129

Bought a few bits yesterday:

Superpro poly bush kit

Front discs and pads

Going to get some new track rod and ends then attempt a full front end overhaul.

Then on way home tonight lost power, wouldn't rev over 2000rpm in 6th, bit of extra whooshing noise, then a rattle (sounded like something dropping off underside of car). Couldn't find anything on road, pipe from drivers side of intercooler hanging low, managed to push it up a bit. Now sat in hairdressers wondering if I'll get home ;-)

Get it up in the air when I get home and see if i can see a loose joint.

Easy fix- boost pipe blown off the turbo. Lost a clamp though, so ordered some more Mikalors. One to fix this plus a couple of spares for next time!

While it was jacked up I decided to do another couple of bits.. Got in a bit deep!

post-98112-0-37945900-1423996920_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After nearly 2 weeks on axle stands it lives again!

Lot of time, but learnt a lot, enjoyed it in parts, and very happy with the result:

• New track rods and ends fitted
  • New ball joints
  • Superpro rear console bush, front console bush and front ARB bush
  • Front arch liners fixed / bodged: bought some second-hand off here, turned up and only slightly better than my old ones, ended up cutting and rivetting them together to make one set of almighty franken-arches.
  • Standard airbox and filter.  Modded the bottom of the airbox to take Dan's cold air feed: worked a treat. Gone with a Bosch standard air filter: I'll keep checking it and see how it fairs.  I know some advise against it but I like to be different and the filtration hugely better.
  • New front genuine Brembo discs (cheapish off ebay, though kinda wish I'd gone for a grooved / dimpled set to match the rear) and Pagid pads (couldn't afford DS2500s)
  • Refurbed front calipers: what a ballache!  Someone had repainted the calipers in a really poor orangey/red finish.  Stripped back with paint stripper, sanded back, then resprayed with Japlac enamel paint (loved on one of the Audi forms: let's hope it lasts). Sandblast and powdercoat next time I attempt this! Full new seal kit while I was at it.  Then refitted and bled.
  • And boost hose back on: after reading a few comments about the Mikalors not providing even clamping force I've gone with a jubilee-type JCS HiGrip clamp: we'll see how it goes.

Slightly nervous driving it for first time, but handling massively improved: vague steering gone, goes where it's pointed, lost the pull to the left under hard accelleration, and if anything more comfy than before (I did raise it another few mms).

Brakes still bedding in, but judder has gone.  Slightly spongy feel though: probably air left in front calipers after the complete strip down: I'll bleed them again at the weekend.

:D

• Like 2