Dave's adopted mk1 VRS (aka Dan's GTB1756)

Wooody

Hmmm.... very interesting that it's got rid of the pull to the left that so many of these cars are plagued with!

I've got all the parts waiting to completely refurb the suspension, including all 4 wheel bearings. So I was hoping it would take away my pull to the left that it's had most of its life!

Brakes look awesome - my Brembo's are currently in pieces waiting to be powdercoated green! :)    Did you buy new pins and the centre retaining piece, or just tidy them up?

Alex - just cleaned up then polished with autosol. Springs and slider plates came up a treat. Pins still a bit discoloured but not worth buying new unless you are even more anal than me!

Pretty sure the pull is gone, though I haven't really given it stick yet as I was a bit worried about blowing the boost hose again. I've used the superpro anti-lift bush.

Nice one cheers for that. Thought as much. I did the same with my bike calipers a couple of years back when I rebuilt them.

Would definitely be interested to hear if it's got rid of it properly. I had the Superpro anti-lift kit fitted when my consoles needed replacing, along with the front Superpro bushes whilst I was at it, as I thought that would be causing the issue. When I got it back it still pulled...  Tracking is bob on though.

Nice one on the calipers, I had wanted to get them refurbed before fitting but wanted them on before the last combe day. Would have been better with the 312mm on the last day after all that effort! Ohh well.

Never noticed the pull on hard acceleration! You should work your upper body more and grip that steering wheel harder ;) I miss that wheel! Need to get one sorted for mine.

More time working on your car and less on your pecs and you might have noticed Dan ;-)

Anyway, found the car used to pull to left under hard acceleration, not sure if torque steer or just wheel spin/hop plus a bit of road camber plus baggy steering. Anyway it's all gone now, had a bit of a play with some huge yank muscle car today and steered straight ahead.

Rebled brakes and they are a lot better.

Fitted the aerial booster and crystal clear BBC Radio Sheffield!

But found a bit of rust bubbling up on the off side rear wheel arch. Going to try out the 10 year paint warranty. Fingers crossed!

Which arch? Drivers side? I had that arch painted because it bubbled! The invoice is in the book. I had the rear bumper done too because the previous owner reversed into a pallet that was behind his car at work and there was a 6" long scratch in it.

Yes driver's side. Shame that's the one you had done (I'd assumed it was the other side) so no go on the Skoda paint warranty.

Yep must be prominent on that side to stone chips or something. I guess it's the lip design on the arch. Has it done anything on the other side?

Passenger side is fine. Don't think it's done damage as bubbling up under the paint. Probably prep not perfect on last repair though it's lasted a couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted new Meyle top mounts and bearings this weekend.

Had a crunching noise on full lock, and steering a bit notchy at times. Top mounts were the only suspension bits I'd not replaced so figured it was likely them. Relieved to see the bearings fall to pieces as I took the struts off.

Not that bad a job in the end, though one of the captive nuts on a top mount span, so had to grind it off.

Struts properly cleaned up, regreased threads and wound up even more! All level now, crunching gone, suspension feels great. Get it aligned this week, then enjoy driving not fettling!

Is ready for an oil and filter change though.

post-98112-0-16294800-1426458702_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

No, that's with the adjuster all the way down to make compressing the strut easy when fitting.

Read a few 'how to' guides and bought spring compressors on the strength of them, then found I could get the same effect on the coilies by winding the adjuster down: nice when a plan works!

My fault for posting a dull and pointless pic!

What would have caused the top mount bearings to fall apart? Those were all brand spanking new when I fitted those APs, they weren't cheap ones either! Have you re-used the ibiza bump stops at the rear?

Those captive nuts are the biggest PITA ever, did you over-tighten it when you re-fitted the bolt after removing to removing the seat sport strut brace?

Guess just poor quality bearings. When I released the spring tension there were ball bearings dropping everywhere, both sides the same. Pic below. Didn't have the rears apart, but bump stops on the front looked brand new still, and front shocks in good condition and still working well.

Fair bit smoother on morning commute this morning with the new top mounts and bearings. Very happy.

The captive nut that failed was one of the ones that not used with the strut brace. Was a real PITA. Spent ages cutting and melting the rubber underneath so I could get a spanner on it, but couldn't get enough leverage to loosen it. No access for an angle grinder so the dremel came out. Must have cost me a good couple of hours to get it off.

post-98112-0-87924200-1426497856_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks Josh, but picked up an undertray from Wardy the other day. Want to double up the boost pipe clips and change the oil before I cover it all up though.

In other news I've bought some secondhand KW v3 coilovers off eBay, had to buy new rear adjusters (which were missing) and a rear spring cup (damaged). Changing them went fairly smoothly except one of front dust covers was cracked, did a pikey gaffa tape repair which has only lasted one drive, so I've got to take the whole strut out again to change it :-( 'Review' to follow after alignment.

Other thing frustrating me recently is steering: been getting sticky with a fair bit of resistance to turning at times, though sometimes it's fine. First thought I'd put something back together wrong, even bought (but not fitted) some new longer drop links thinking they might be too short and leading to the farb rubbing somewhere now I've raised the car up. Then changed battery (was still on original), made no difference. Then checked power steering fluid (could they put the reservoir cap in a more awkward position), which was very low. Topped up and steering perfect :-). Guess there must be a leak on the rack :-(

While I had the battery and airbox out I've test the gear linkage. I found the shifting fine but my wife kept complaining about it. Don't think this will stop her moaning though ;-)

I topped that steering rack level up about 18 months or more ago :) taken a long time to go down!!

Your missus could be struggling with those shifter bushes. Wish I'd actually removed those before the sale, they'd fit my octy and are ****ing expensive for what they are!! Lol

Cheers Dan, good to know the fluids lasted 18 months.  I'll be very happy if it lasts the same agin. If I had to do it much more often it might be the excuse I need to move the battery to the boot! Were you having similar issues with stiff steering?  Couldn't see any fluid in the reservoir before I topped it up.

Thanks for heads up on the shifter bushes.  On my Octy the missus moaned about the short shift.  Imagine the short shift plus shifter bushes might even try me!

Workmate was having a bad day at work today.  Decided he wanted to take the car out for a spin to clear his head.  His face when he booted it was a treat  :devil:  He was more gentle second time!

Yup exact same issues! It really ****ed me off one day when I nearly drove down the side of an oncoming car when pulling out of a junction, the sterring just went stiff as anything.

Should have thought actually, still got a load of the steering fluid somewhere!

Shifter bushes were something like £35, made a big difference though, would like them on the octy with the short shift but I pretty much begrudge spending any money on the car now! Become a right arse, all goes in savings and gym related food :D