mirrorlink

stug45

"I am looking to make use of android auto. It has not been clear whether this would be a software update or hardware.

The system was based upon being able to have carplay and android auto as a future software update.

As you now advise this is hardware, I will be raising this as a formal complaint. I will be satisfied if the hardware in my vehicle is changed (and so will many other customers)

You should treat customers fairly."

It seems like there should be a case for rejecting the car if you purchased it on the understanding that it would work with Carplay/Google/Android and it doesn't. Certainly you don't expect the feature set of a new model released for 2015 to be superseded only 6 months later.

Note that on the manuals download page there are different manuals (for both the car and the infotainment) depending on what you choose as "Your car production period": "Since 2014/10" or "Since 2015/05". As my car was due to be built last week I'm hoping it squeaks into the latter!

I wondered if those "Since year/month" terms meant the Start of the month - or the End of the month.

Probably End of the Month ??

My dealer (in Ireland) had some idea about Octavia upgrades for week 22 - but thought Fabia upgrades would be limited to non-existent, because it arrived here so recently (Jan '15 here).

They're not that interested in connectivity tech here - because Irish consumers, it seems, generally aren't.

For instance, we've only got DAB on east coast and sporadically in small pockets around country.

Almost no encouragement to increase interest here at all.

Most of tech is like that here. Limited interest in a small population. 

:-(   !

It seems like there should be a case for rejecting the car if you purchased it on the understanding that it would work with Carplay/Google/Android and it doesn't. Certainly you don't expect the feature set of a new model released for 2015 to be superseded only 6 months later.

Agreed - and the Fabia brochures were bleating about Connectivity - the "Infotainment" section in the brochure was the first section under the TECHNOLOGY heading (yes - in HUGE capitals!) - before Comfort Technologies, before Safety, Engines, Colour/styling/wheels/upholstery .... and accessories. 

The small, tiny, print saying that phones had to be compatible with Mirrorlink seemed most disingenuous.

Could this be construed as misleading advertising? Though , also imagine, they have themselves well covered with that.

Customer good-will might be more important?

All this, is why I didn't order a Bolero or even DAB (which is a €119 extra here !!!!! Seriously !! )

Hello from Israel

I've been reading all the posts in the last few days as I ordered my fabia 3 weeks ago with Bolero in it.

as I ordered a blue car with blue seats it seems that I am lucky enough to get my car build after week 22 and I'm suppose to get the car in late july.

When I spoke to my dealer about it he said that they were told not to talk about the mirrorlink (to my opinion so they don't have to deal with legal issues after).

The importer here doesn't even translate the system when all others do.

I have sent an email to Which about this see if they can add some clout. Might be worth trying whatcar as well as it is their car of the year and all that.

You will have to keep informed as to when/if they replay back to you.

Interesting is that i ordered my Fabia Estate few days ago and actually the Bolero system, which is now 7 inch and supports smartlink, the price was down 70 euros. So for me it looks like, guys that were early adopters even paid more money to get the system which doesn't support smartlink.

I was browsing around car configurators for different countries and it shows SmartLink as a €150 add-on on the German configurator (take note, the UK configurator is down for maintenance but what I presume is Skoda laying the smackdown on us early adopters and updating the Fabia's configuration page to enable SmartLink as an option)

To Quote the brochure "Skoda Fabia stealing the attention" why for shafting customers who actually want a infotainment system that works[emoji35]

I've added my comments to the Skoda UK page.

I expect someone to make a statement.

They are fully aware of briskoda so there will be no issues with them not knowing about this thread.

• Like 2

The comment I posted on FB:

I have to admit SKODA approach is something I can't understand. I ordered my Fabia beginning of November 2014 - as soon as the first price list was published. I ordered Bolero and changed my phone to HTC One M8 especially to be able to EFFICIENTLY use MirrorLink, especially for ONLINE navigation. And I can't because applications have to be certified in order to be used while driving and the only certified navi app is SYGIC which is OFFLINE. And I can't even try how it works with BOLERO before I buy it because trial SYGIC version is not certified!!!

And this is for sure not the issue of driving security as I can read and write SMS on BOLERO while driving so it looks that SKODA wants to make extra money on certifying apps. 

If Apple CarPlay and Android Auto indeed require hardware upgrade then either upgrade or replace previously delivered units (at the price of SmartLink option), skip requirement for apps certification or at least certify Google Maps so we can have the ONLINE navi system!!!

• Like 2

Is it worth approaching Watchdog or the consumer sections of the newspapers to see if they will pick it up? Letters and Facebook posts can be ignored but having the media cover the story would soon get their attention.

• Like 1

So, I had a decent chat with my dealer today – who was very helpful despite how tied his hands were.

My car’s build week cannot, and will not be changed. So it’s definitely happening next week (I should be happy about this considering how long I’ve waited…)

The dealers were made aware of the Week 22 matter a while ago. Apparently, Apple is to blame (and their fiasco with licensing and CarPlay and blah blah…) so after massaging some egos Skoda managed to confirm the installation of CarPlay (and hence ‘SmartLink’) only from Week 22 onwards.

Now, nobody knows for certain how drastic any changes will be – if firmware, or hardware, or a combination of both. My dealer is of the impression however that soon after Week 22, dealers will be sent out information for any requisite parts needed (and the part numbers), the costs of the parts, and the costs of installation, and be advised that any Fabias built pre-Week 22 would need to undergo XYZ procedure to update the Bolero to incorporate SmartLink. He did confirm that aesthetically there is not one change, Bolero will remain as it looks, physically and dimension wise. Apparently there might be a minor change of the look of the ‘Window’ image on the electric window switches etc., but for all intents and purposes there are no changes to the interior of the Fabia post Week 22.

All I can do now is wait for the car, enjoy finally having it, and then wait for Skoda to get their asses in gear and decide how they want to take care of us early adopters. If, IF, SmartLink was inevitably a free/default upgrade for Week 22 builds, I’ll be fuming  :@ . But if the Car Configurator in the UK (after they decide to re-open it) shows SmartLink as a paid optional extra for £X, I will more than happily pay anything up to £X and not a penny more to incorporate it into my car.

• Like 2

I've read Dilz's post and imho I think although the dealer is trying to be helpful it's just a tad rich just to blame Apple let's be honest Skoda are no better.

Why should we have to pay more when the system they chose to adopt is clearly not fit for purpose Skoda should meet the cost not us. Perhaps Skoda should stick a badge on a batch of Sony z3's give then to us foc to solve their problem.

• Like 1