Variable Service Issue/Question

Hi guys,

I purchased my Skoda from new with a fixed service plan for 3 years.  I bought it in every year to the dealer for a service.  On the last service at the end of the 3 years I was told it would be given a full service and the service indicator changed from fixed to variable.  This was in June last year.  However, 8 months later (now) the MFD is telling me a service is due.  It appears that it was not set to variable and was left on fixed.  Is there a way to tell?

If it has been left at fixed, how do you suggest I resolve this with the dealer as presumably if it is changed now, it won't take into account the previous 8 months driving and mileage etc?

Any thoughts would be welcomed.  Thank you. :)

Variable needs to be set by a computer at every service. It also needs a different VAG oil standard (and more expensive oil). What you say is correct, but the most important issue is whether the correct long-life oil was used or not, because if it wasn't then a service is due.

Having said that, variable means variable, not longer. If you do lots of short runs adding up to a big annual, then you'll need servicing sooner than someone who spends all day sitting on an m/way at 60mph.

• Like 2

Thanks for the response, Ken.

According to my Service Schedule book that was filled in by the dealer, the oil change box ticked was "Use engine oil for variable service intervals QG1".

I take your point regarding variable doesn't always mean longer.  The 10K miles I've done have been a mixture of motorway and local driving.

Update while typing: Just spoken to the dealer.  They have confirmed long-life oil was used and should have been set to variable.  They have offered that if I bring it in and it was incorrectly set to fixed they will set it to variable.

So I guess my main question is are there are issues with setting it to variable after a year of driving?  Thank you!

I had exactly the same issue.

My dealer promised me that they could adjust the service indicator from fixed to variable after I had already covered almost 10,000 miles.

They reckoned that they could subtract the mileage since the last service so that the car would flag for a service closer to 20K knowing it had already done 10K.

I was skeptical!

Turns out I was right, they couldn't do it.

Much arguing later they agreed to change the oil at a reduced price and then this time set the service indicator to variable.

So in effect I've had an extra fixed service, but it didn't cost me as much as it should.

• Like 1

This is a timely reminder for me actually.  Mine is due its third and final service under the free servicing plan in a few weeks so must think to remind them to change it to variable.  For some reason dealers (from my past experiences anyway) seem to have great difficulties with service scheduling / being able to adjust the intervals correctly etc and often leads to great confusion.

Whatever they do with the intervals, I would get them to put it in writing - just in case some serious issue comes to light with the engine and oil or lack of servicing is a factor.  I know the warranty is probably gone at this stage but still no harm if you end up arguing with Skoda over something.  I had an Octavia back a few years out of warranty by a few months and I still managed to get Skoda to take half the cost on a replacement part and labour about after using the clean up to date dealer service record as a bargaining tool.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys!

When I spoke the dealer today I was told it was just a sensor in the "slump" which detects the condition of the oil and accordingly recommends when the service is required, so there would be no issue changing it to variable servicing despite being 10K miles in from the last service.

However, after doing some extra reading it appears that there are several factors which go into this when a service is suggested, such as cold starts, warm starts, driving style etc.  Presumably none of these will be considered when they change it to variable, which isn't ideal to say the least?!

Should I try and negotiate a free or discounted oil change or just give Skoda a ring directly?  Thanks again for your help and suggestions! :)

The ability to view the oil temp in maxidot disappears when you are on fixed service intervals. So that's one easy way to check when you roll out of the dealer car park.

I thought that too, but not in my case.

I'm on variable and I get the option to display the oil temp.

Thanks for the responses guys!

When I spoke the dealer today I was told it was just a sensor in the "slump" which detects the condition of the oil and accordingly recommends when the service is required, so there would be no issue changing it to variable servicing despite being 10K miles in from the last service.

However, after doing some extra reading it appears that there are several factors which go into this when a service is suggested, such as cold starts, warm starts, driving style etc.  Presumably none of these will be considered when they change it to variable, which isn't ideal to say the least?!

Should I try and negotiate a free or discounted oil change or just give Skoda a ring directly?  Thanks again for your help and suggestions! :)

The sensor in the sump that measures the oil viscosity is just one of the inputs that is used to determine when the car flags for a service.

Like you say the number of cold starts, journey duration etc. is also figured in.

I would be pushing for a discounted oil change.

Skoda's fixed price for a minor service (basically an oil and filter change) is £139.

My dealer changed the oil (and stamped the service book) for me for £100.

• Like 1

The ability to view the oil temp in maxidot disappears when you are on fixed service intervals. So that's one easy way to check when you roll out of the dealer car park.

Mine is set to fixed and I can still see oil temperature in maxidot. 

I think the only easy way to tell if the car is on fixed or variable is checking what the service indicator says just after it's been serviced.

If it's on fixed i believe it would just say 365 days and what ever the mileage is... Is it 10000 or 12000???

If it's on variable it will just show dashes for a good few hundred miles while the car recalibrates itself and will then show something like mine did with 18400 miles or 728 days.

Obviously only useful if you know you've had a service in the last few months etc....

• Like 1

This is how I was caught out when my dealer set it to fixed instead of variable.

I checked when picking up the car after the service and got the --- ---, even though it was on fixed.

I checked again a few days later only to see the same. As I had no reason to be suspicious I then forgot to check it again.

At 10K it flagged for a service, grrr!

• Like 2

Well I popped the car into the dealer this morning and they checked what service type it was set to.  Indeed, it was still incorrectly set as fixed.

They offered to carry out an oil and filter change free of charge this weekend and then set it back to variable. :)

I do feel had I not raised the relevant issues and spoken directly to Skoda UK, they would have just set it back variable and set me on my way.  But I'm happy with the result and the service I received.

Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions!

• Like 3