The 'new' RHD Ford Mustang

Brimma

To answer the OP question - neither!

TBH it looks rubbish compared with its competition.  In the flesh it looks more like a Hyundai coupe or a modern Supra than a Mustang.

Give me the current Camaro or Dodge Challenger any day.  By the looks of it here (New Mexico) the Mustang isn't selling in anything like the numbers the other 2 are.

FoMoCo have dropped a clanger with this - the whole pony car market wants retro and they've gone ultra-modern.

Edited by camelspyyder

B33fy, on 12 May 2015 - 20:15, said:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

There's talk about the V8 being circa £33k, blinding value in my book.

The 700bhp Challenger is only $59000 list over here - About £40k - now thats value :)

Edited by camelspyyder

There are a lot of pre orders in the UK. I am guessing many are dealers or wealthy folks speculating that they can make a quick profit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

One of my neighbours works for Ford and has  a Red one of these parked in his driveway over Chritmas. 

Haven't had chance to have a chat yet or obtained a run out : Sounds good though- http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mustang/88870/ford-mustang-v8-review.

Edited by vrskeith

I had a previous gen 5.0 GT for several days whilst holidaying in Canada a few years ago....was the heavily improved model with the 32v VVT 412hp V8 motor.

Im not big on yanky cars but I loved the thing, was v fast, sounded fabulous and was really nice to drive....didnt even seem that terrible on fuel given I was kicking the thing down at every opportunity just to hear it but then it probably only cost the equivalent of £10-12 to fill up out there. I felt sad when I had to hand back the keys....would have loved to have stuck it on a boat and brought it home. One thing it most certainly wasnt was ordinary.

It didnt feel particularly expensive....its a Ford after all but it was solid enough and nothing fell off or broke whilst we had it....but it felt special because it was a 'Stang.

I have no doubt the new one will be similar but that bit better still. Lot of car for the money....I also suspect they wont sell in big numbers so their relative exclusivity and cult following might mean residuals might not be too woeful.

If I was in the position to buy a play thing, doing v few miles and something to keep long term a new 5.0 would be on my radar.

Edited by pipsypreturns

This has been mine and my offices most watched car of 2015 and now 2016. I will get that test drive in this quarter with any luck. The only thing that has put me off is the interior plastics are apparently not brilliant.

One major positive is that the car is going to quite rare and will become sought after on the second hand market, so if you do buy new I don't expect massive losses.

Has any UK magazine tested a RHD car on UK roads yet?

I've seen a red one, RHD & on Essex plates near Rayleigh (Essex is still Ford Country....) 3/4 weeks ago.

Looked nice, still not sure if it's too big for every-day motoring on UK roads though.

DC

I saw a RHD drive one in Elgin of all places on Monday. It's a lot bigger than imagined but looks very nice. Would I buy one, it would have to be a no, would rather a focus RS. I'm not into 3door cars unless it's a super car.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my neighbours works for Ford and has  a Red one of these parked in his driveway over Chritmas. 

Haven't had chance to have a chat yet or obtained a run out : Sounds good though- http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mustang/88870/ford-mustang-v8-review.

Local sales manager still parking his red one outside his house -status symbol?

Must get some photos and engage him in a chat.

Who knows I might get some of this action :http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/manic-street-screecher-testing-the-ford-mustangs-line-lock/

Click on video.

I remember driving the previous Mustang Cobra (supercharged 4.6) and it was a difficult car to drive in town. The clutch was slight vicious and because of the lightened flywheel was super easy to stall. It did offer independent rear suspension though, which was allegedly an improvement :D I should come clean and say that I was selling them at the time :)

I saw a RHD drive one in Elgin of all places on Monday. It's a lot bigger than imagined but looks very nice. Would I buy one, it would have to be a no, would rather a focus RS. I'm not into 3door cars unless it's a super car.

I saw a red one at the Gulf (used to be Shell) in Keith the other day  

Well, we've trundled over to the nearest Mustang Dealer,had a sit in the showroom convertible & the coupe demonstrator, (both 5.0 V8's with the option pack) & been offered a test drive. 

It's a big car, but smaller than the current Mondeo, & @ 2080 mm wide over the mirrors it might be a tight fit through the garage doors.

The scuttle is quite high & the windscreen header rail is on the low side, so finding a driving position that allows one to see over & beyond the hood might be difficult.

The back seats are for kids or legless adults, SWMBO just managed to get into the back in the convertible with the passenger seat as far forward as possible, & that's with the roof down!

The boot is usable but that all, if you wanted to do more than a 1 week vacation you'd need to use the rear seats for soft bags / coats. 

(My EOS has more people / luggage space, but it's FWD, so that's not so surprising.)

Lot's of toys, & can have front parking sensors (needed!) fitted as an option.

Value for money, who knows, probably going to have good residuals if the demand continues to exceed supply, but it will be interesting to see if any of the 10 or so cars that are available

for immediate delivery on AutoTrader actually do sell for their somewhat inflated asking prices.

DC 

• Like 1

But although the car seems to have loads of negatives, did you not think "hell yes, nice rumbly V8" and forget all the bad stuff? :)

We heard the demo start up, (just to move it so we could open the doors) & it was a bit quiet......

I've heard more "rumble" from a couple of '70's  Ford LTD's & small block Corvette back in 1980.

We'll have to wait until the test drive, to see if the bad stuff disappears.

FWIW, I think it's a shame that Ford won't bring the V6 into Europe. It's a nice twin-cam lump, 3.7 litres & 300 bhp, & if that's not enough the 3.5 Eco-boost version

makes 360 bhp with reasonable economy would fit under the hood.

I really don't want a 4 cylinder Mustang in my life, but I'm not so keen on the thirsty V8 either.

If I can get a sensible insurance quotation for a Mustang then we'll proceed with a test drive, if not 

then maybe we should get sensible & buy one of the last V6 Superbs instead. 

DC

• Like 1