Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

Updates?.........Skoda don't do updates.

They tell the dealers they will, so they can take our money, then they just don't bother.

(I'm being facetious)

We shall see - the first units have been delivered over in the other thread - so let's hope they can get something right!

What happened with auto express?

They are definitely running the story.

We are trying to thrash out a resolution first, as they would rather print it that way than leave it open ended.

However, if it drags on too much longer, then they may have no choice but to run it unresolved.

• Like 3

And WhatCar? will run a story in the September issue of their magazine.

Good!

What have they said to you about the situation Dilz?

Have they contacted Skoda UK on your behalf at all?

More pressure is exactly what's needed.

Good!

What have they said to you about the situation Dilz?

Have they contacted Skoda UK on your behalf at all?

More pressure is exactly what's needed.

Yep they've definitely contacted Skoda UK but haven't heard anything yet but will let me know as soon as they do!

A LITTLE UPDATE:

My dealers have been tasked by me to work out a price for me to change my car for a new model.

Skoda UK have been asked to contribute, to which they initially said no way, but now want to see the figures.

My dealer will contribute, and maybe I will have to a little also.

I don't really see the point in changing my 3 month old car for the same thing again, so I have asked for the figures to be worked out on a Monte Carlo edition.

The Monte Carlo Fabia was due to be on their systems with specs and prices today, but it has yet to appear.

As soon as I have some figures in front of me, then I can see whether or not it is a goer.

If the figures don't stack up, then I will revisit the Kenwood MIB NAV, as that looks quite a tidy unit. But that alone is not compensation enough, and I will not contribute anything toward it either.

Hoping to get some news in the next day or so.

Onward and upward hopefully.

• Like 3

A LITTLE UPDATE:

My dealers have been tasked by me to work out a price for me to change my car for a new model.

Skoda UK have been asked to contribute, to which they initially said no way, but now want to see the figures.

I don't really see the point in changing my 3 month old car for the same thing again, so I have asked for the figures to be worked out on a Monte Carlo edition.

The Monte Carlo Fabia was due to be on their systems with specs and prices today, but it has yet to appear.

As soon as I have some figures in front of me, then I can see whether or not it is a goer.

If the figures don't stack up, then I will revisit the Kenwood MIB NAV, as that looks quite a tidy unit. But that alone is not compensation enough, and I will not contribute anything toward it either.

Why don't you see the point in changing to the same thing if it's only the Mirrorlink that's the problem, surely getting a post build week 22 car with Android Auto will solve the problem.

I can't see Skoda being sympathetic towards replacing your car with a model that hasn't been officially launched on the Skoda UK website.

I hope you get your wish and get it sorted though.

Why don't you see the point in changing to the same thing if it's only the Mirrorlink that's the problem, surely getting a post build week 22 car with Android Auto will solve the problem.

I can't see Skoda being sympathetic towards replacing your car with a model that hasn't been officially launched on the Skoda UK website.

I hope you get your wish and get it sorted though.

Yes a new exact replacement will solve the problem, but if I am having to contribute then I may as well push for the best spec I can get, and it looks as though that will be a Monte.

At the end of the day, Skoda will be 'selling' another car, they won't care what model it is, just how much money they need to fork out is all that matters to them.

It would be good for them to get a Monte on the road early on too, that's always good publicity (as is a resolution in Auto Express perhaps?!)

Nothing set in stone yet, exploring all the options.

Yes a new exact replacement will solve the problem, but if I am having to contribute then I may as well push for the best spec I can get, and it looks as though that will be a Monte.

At the end of the day, Skoda will be 'selling' another car, they won't care what model it is, just how much money they need to fork out is all that matters to them.

It would be good for them to get a Monte on the road early on too, that's always good publicity (as is a resolution in Auto Express perhaps?!)

Nothing set in stone yet, exploring all the options.

What have been the resolutions you've been offered up to now, has there been any with no contribution from yourself.

I was going to wait for the Monte to come out as I had the old Monte Tech but the deal I got on my SE estate was too good to pass by, no deposit and same monthly payment with 0% finance and £500 fuel card. The only trouble with the Mk3 Monte is the interior, the deck chair striped seats and red centre console is too, trying too hard to be sporty, IMO.

A LITTLE UPDATE:

If they offer you a Monte, and ask you to contribute.. lets say a third.. would you refinance on that basis?

To me this seems like the blunt end of a stick. Skoda giving and yet taking. Not taking blame or responsibility for their blunder, you giving up your car for another and paying for it, and the battle (for those still keen to wage war) yet to recommense....

They'll say "Did we just ACTUALLY get away with this??!!"

If I have read the Apple briefing correctly about the upcoming OS9 operating system for the iPhone it would appear that you will need to be able to connect wirelessly to be able use Carplay.

Looks like there is going to be yet another twist to the saga for us iPhone users

The link to Apple is

http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios9-preview/

John

I to have had the wonderfull offer of a sat nav which I turned down ,my counter offer is they cover the costs of me swapping my various phones not much but it's better than nothing given that mirrorlink is now working for me .

I await their next offer .

I to have had the wonderfull offer of a sat nav which I turned down ,my counter offer is they cover the costs of me swapping my various phones not much but it's better than nothing given that mirrorlink is now working for me .

I await their next offer .

My concern with this is it sorts the problem now, but what happens in the future when mirror link is completely defunct and no new phones support it? Android Auto and CarPlay will have updates and support for the long term making them infinitely more viable and valuable!

Like many others I am very disappointed that I cannot get Mirrorlink to work with my iphone. I do not want to change my phone and I do not want a standalone Sat nav. I want to be able to connect my phone to the car and use my Tom Tom app displaying on the infocentre screen as I was led to believe it would do. I took delivery of my brand new Fabia about 12 days ago, and since then I have spent hours researching this crazy situation.

The dealer is unable to help and numerous calls to Skoda UK have been a waste of time.

It will be very interesting to see what Auto Express have to say about this - I am a regular reader of this publication and I will be writing to them in support of their case.

I feel very strongly about this issue, and it is spoiling my enjoyment of my brand new car.

I hate being misled and I hate things which don't work.

• Like 1

My concern with this is it sorts the problem now, but what happens in the future when mirror link is completely defunct and no new phones support it? Android Auto and CarPlay will have updates and support for the long term making them infinitely more viable and valuable!

I can see the dealers in a few years:

"This is a great little runner and has phone Mk3 Fabia integration "

" Smart link? "

" Erm, no Mirrorlink"

"ok bye"

• Like 2

If they offer you a Monte, and ask you to contribute.. lets say a third.. would you refinance on that basis?

To me this seems like the blunt end of a stick. Skoda giving and yet taking. Not taking blame or responsibility for their blunder, you giving up your car for another and paying for it, and the battle (for those still keen to wage war) yet to recommense....

They'll say "Did we just ACTUALLY get away with this??!!"

It is all a question of scale.

If they take my car and straight swap it for a Monte - YES PLEASE!

If they take my car and want £3000 from me - NO THANKS!

Obviously the answer lies somewhere between those ridiculous examples, so it is up to me to decide what I am comfortable with.

Bear in mind that the Fabia is currently 0% financed, whereas I am paying 4.9%

That alone could save me £30 a month in interest.

If the deal is not acceptable, then I won't do it.

I would have to revisit the Kenwood option, but there is no way, as I have said before, that I will contribute towards it, as it solves nothing.

Skoda need to make a decent contribution towards any outcome, which so far has not been forthcoming. They are being very crafty, splitting everything into thirds, so that they only have to pay a third. That leaves myself and my dealer (neither to blame) footing two thirds of any solution.

Skoda UK seem to be under the impression that I am dumb............Skoda - I am not.

Both myself and the dealer (who are still being very helpful) are pushing Skoda UK for a fair outcome.

No details have emerged today regarding the Monte by the way, still waiting for list prices etc.

To answer another question briefly:

The only option I have been offered at no cost to me was the first option of a free Garmin - stick on the windscreen - Satnav, which was rejected as an insult.

The second option of the Kenwood MIB NAV would have cost me about £100 (estimated)

The third option of a replacement car, as above, I am still waiting.

Kev.

• Like 1

What's wrong with the Kenwood option, will it solve the problem you have with Mirrorlink, it would cost you £79 or so to buy Sygic just to be able to have satnav on a compatible phone.

Changing the car was never going to be a viable or cost effective option, I'm sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, I do feel your frustration but not being able to use Mirrorlink would not be a deal breaker for me.

I do hope you can settle on a solution to keep all parties happy, i think Skoda will treat each case on an individual basis.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea that Skoda would try to split any settlement into thirds. My gripe is with Skoda not my dealer and I know that my contract is with the dealer, but I want Skoda to recompense me not the dealer .

• Like 1

What's wrong with the Kenwood option, will it solve the problem you have with Mirrorlink, it would cost you £79 or so to buy Sygic just to be able to have satnav on a compatible phone.

Changing the car was never going to be a viable or cost effective option, I'm sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, I do feel your frustration but not being able to use Mirrorlink would not be a deal breaker for me.

I do hope you can settle on a solution to keep all parties happy, i think Skoda will treat each case on an individual basis.

There is nothing wrong with the Kenwood - except, it has ZERO to do with Mirrorlink and it will currently cost me £100

Does that sound like a good deal?

'I'm sorry you don't like your new shoes sir, but here, have a can of hairspray for £10' - it doesn't get me what I was promised.

I don't know if changing the car is a viable option or not, I have no figures yet, but it is THE ONLY OPTION, that will get me the new version of Smartlink, so it must be explored.

If everyone was pushing Skoda UK for a response, then they could also have the Kenwood MIB as an option. If anyone thinks that it is a good deal, then make some noise to your dealer and Skoda UK. The precedent has been set if that's what you want.

I don't particularly want to change my car, but if someone slaps something interesting on a table, then I would be a fool to ignore it. 

I have said before, the Kenwood looks good, it really does, but I'M NOT contributing a penny to something that does not solve anything.

Anyone who is unhappy about Mirrorlink, go and get a free sticky Satnav from your dealer, or push for a Kenwood.

Sitting on your bum and waiting for the fairies to magically install these things in your cars when you were not looking, DOES NOT WORK.

To clarify, I am doing this for me, and if anyone else wants to tag along and make some noise, then, all aboard, you're very welcome.

Sorry to rant, everyone is different, and I personally feel as though Skoda is treating Fabia mk3 owners as mugs, and i'm not one.

I feel aggrieved, others may not.

I have not proof read the above, so if it's a bit off topic, and offends anyone, sorry about that.

Take your anger out on Skoda.

• Like 3

There is nothing wrong with the Kenwood - except, it has ZERO to do with Mirrorlink and it will currently cost me £100

Does that sound like a good deal?

'I'm sorry you don't like your new shoes sir, but here, have a can of hairspray for £10' - it doesn't get me what I was promised.

I don't know if changing the car is a viable option or not, I have no figures yet, but it is THE ONLY OPTION, that will get me the new version of Smartlink, so it must be explored.

If everyone was pushing Skoda UK for a response, then they could also have the Kenwood MIB as an option. If anyone thinks that it is a good deal, then make some noise to your dealer and Skoda UK. The precedent has been set if that's what you want.

I don't particularly want to change my car, but if someone slaps something interesting on a table, then I would be a fool to ignore it. 

I have said before, the Kenwood looks good, it really does, but I'M NOT contributing a penny to something that does not solve anything.

Anyone who is unhappy about Mirrorlink, go and get a free sticky Satnav from your dealer, or push for a Kenwood.

Sitting on your bum and waiting for the fairies to magically install these things in your cars when you were not looking, DOES NOT WORK.

To clarify, I am doing this for me, and if anyone else wants to tag along and make some noise, then, all aboard, you're very welcome.

Sorry to rant, everyone is different, and I personally feel as though Skoda is treating Fabia mk3 owners as mugs, and i'm not one.

I feel aggrieved, others may not.

I have not proof read the above, so if it's a bit off topic, and offends anyone, sorry about that.

Take your anger out on Skoda.

You're not offending anyone, far from it, being passionate about something you believe in should be something we all need to do more of.

My take is totally different to yours, I didn't buy the car for Mirrorlink, I bought it for the extra space and roof rails for me and my son's road bikes, I'm still able to stream music and make/answer calls via Bluetooth so that's what matters to me.

Even if I could use my phone with it I wouldn't be paying the thick end of £80 for an app when there's better ones available for free, Mirrorlink has been an ill conceived idea and I agree that Skoda should update with the new software that post week 22 have, I don't believe for one minute that it can't be done.

If an update was made available then of course I would look to get it but if it doesn't then it's not going to spoil the driving/owning experience of my new car.

I'm sure a happy outcome will arrive, it's just a shame a few windows will have to be smashed along the way first, good luck.

• Like 3

Nice Rant Kev You haven't upset me I took an easy option but I want Skoda front up and sort it out as well or I think their Jd power survey (or what ever it's called these days )top spot will be a thing of the past .

• Like 1

You're not offending anyone, far from it, being passionate about something you believe in should be something we all need to do more of.

My take is totally different to yours, I didn't buy the car for Mirrorlink, I bought it for the extra space and roof rails for me and my son's road bikes, I'm still able to stream music and make/answer calls via Bluetooth so that's what matters to me.

Even if I could use my phone with it I wouldn't be paying the thick end of £80 for an app when there's better ones available for free, Mirrorlink has been an ill conceived idea and I agree that Skoda should update with the new software that post week 22 have, I don't believe for one minute that it can't be done.

If an update was made available then of course I would look to get it but if it doesn't then it's not going to spoil the driving/owning experience of my new car.

I'm sure a happy outcome will arrive, it's just a shame a few windows will have to be smashed along the way first, good luck.

I wouldn't say I bought the car for Mirrorlink either, but if you are promised something you should get it.

You're dead right that Mirrorlink is ill conceived, and very much rushed into the Fabia to be the 'first' to get it.

The Fab is a good car, I have no complaints, but I do have an issue with Skoda UK and their patronising attitude that they seem to have adopted.

I think they are starting to believe their own hype, and that is never a good thing.

Not the reason Skoda owners have Skoda's.

Take note Skoda, I firmly believe that Seat are about to take your place.

• Like 3

They are believing their own hype . The senior manager I'm dealing with didn't seem to believe that this will be my last as I had so many Skoda's I would not leave the brand. The reason i had so many was Skoda's was they had good customer care ,not any more they attitude to me just stinks. if you don't sort it out to my satisfaction it will last !!!!!