Fabia heating woes

Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum and hope someone out there can help me. I actually drive a Mondeo TDCI estate but my wife has a 2002 Fabia sdi classic. The Fabia has developed two problems recently.

After leaving the car on our drive for a few days during heavy rain the carpets have become very wet. This is worst on the near side. I suspect the rain has got in around one of the door seals somehow. I have noticed the sills under the doors do have much of an angle and seem to collect water when the car is on anything but dead level ground. Also, the has air con fitted, but the heater control sometimes does not work. Sometimes, when set to the coldest setting the fan still blows hot.

Due to the wet carpets the car steams up a lot, turning the air con on does clear this so I think it is working OK, you just can't alter the tempreture with the control.

I'm not sure if these are common problems but would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

Lloyd

Hi there :)

I'm not an expert I'm afraid. If there's water in one place, it seems worth checking the door seal, although on my old Polo, it was something else (can't remember what). When the garage tested the door, they taped kitchen paper (shows wet easily) on the inside of the door surround and then fired a hose at the closed door from the outside.

A thread on said said that if the door is not aligned properly, you might see rub marks on the seal.

Re misting on the inside, I guess that's probably likely if there's water in the car. Re the air conditioning though, as I understand it, it's air filtering rather than temperature control. I.e. set the heater to get the right temperature, then turn on the a/c. Also turn it off a couple of mins before the journey end to allow the water to condense and drain away. If the drainage hose is blocked, or the filter needs cleaning or needs replacing, that can cause misting.

Does the heater control work when the a/c is switched off?

Best

Mo

Mo,

Thanks for the reply. The heater control does not seem work whether the a/c is on or off. Sometimes turning the fan off and on seems to reset the tempreture but not always. The a/c must be doing something, because when its switched on the windows demist must more quickly. The problem seems to be the heater control **** or whatever its connected to.

I know the water leak around the door is a known fault, the dealer agreed with that.

The Lonegroover, you are not alone my friend. My Vrs has the same problem with the heating controls. Most of the time it blows hot even when the dial is set to cold and the a/c is on. If you find any ideas or anybody else knows it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Heating will almost certainly be vent motors.

Try using the recirc button - does it switch itself off??

Do you have access to VAG-COM? It will have a fault code logged if it is the motors.

N/S wet carpets could be down to the pollon filter housing.

Not likely on the Fabia as the pollen filter is housed inside the heater box.

I would say one or more of the ancilleries carriers are leaking.

And as Stu quite rightly said the heater temp flap (V**) will be out of basic settings.

• 2 weeks later...

My very friendly local (Bradford) Skoda dealer has sealed three of the door cassettes and fixed a sticking flap in the heater system?. The other door was already resealed at a previous service. I was expecting to have to pay

My very friendly local (Bradford) Skoda dealer has sealed three of the door cassettes and fixed a sticking flap in the heater system?. The other door was already resealed at a previous service. I was expecting to have to pay