Rob's Ur Quattro

RobClubley

Rusty mostly performed really well yesterday, but I did have a minor issue - brakes - one in four times I pressed them they didn't work! Usually going down hill, they feel rock hard as if air is in the system but if you push harder the car squirms a bit then it's like you push through the problem and the brakes work. Really weird and I thought it was fixed when the front/rear bias valve was replaced. Dammit.

Most times they work perfectly. Almost everything in the braking system has been replaced - calipers refurbed, new hard lines, new flexis, new discs and pads, master cylinder rebuilt, bias valve replaced. Fluid level is staying constant. Unlikely to be the bomb as it's intermittent, and that also provides steering pressure, which is okay.

Confused.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

44289392_1528028670630757_73400924087150

Love this dash so much! Also I've covered 1200 miles so far in Rusty.

I've ordered a new pressure accumulator so we'll see if that sorts it. I'm told that the power steering drives directly from the pump and the bomb only pressurises the brakes, so it might explain some of the symptoms. Not sure why it would be intermittent though. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TrevorB33 said:

What’s the 16 on the fuel indicate Rob? Litres left?

Yep litres, though it's not that accurate and can go up or down by 4l or so during a drive.

And the time I drained the tank, it said E, and I got 15 litres out!

It'll be interesting to see what it reads if I ever take the painful step of putting $235 of 98 RON in to fill it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got these 15mm poly spacers for the rear springs, to lift the ride height a little. If it fixes the rubbing issues and the rear-down stance then I'll look at getting some different springs for the rear as a more permanent solution. The H&R springs lower the car about 40mm, and at the moment the top of the rear arch is about 10mm lower than the front one. When loaded it obviously sits lower still. Just need to find time to get on with it.

45101160_1544817622285195_34073215902773

• Like 1

Appropriate.

45707982_1559338904166400_77462128510936

Commuted to work yesterday in the worst conditions! 130kph winds and rain. Today's new features include no passenger sidelight, passenger headlight as dim as a candle, indicators no longer flash on unlock. Oh and an occasional weird buzzing noise when braking. Must get that new bomb fitted. Always something new to fix!
Also I'm always surprised at how small it looks between newer cars.

45797972_1559914477442176_40940600130671

• Like 1