Rob's Ur Quattro

RobClubley

Do you have a torque wrench that gos that high?, that is into pro grade torque wrench territory there.

Try to lock the crank through the sttarter hole by using a flat plate (an old rear brake pad would do) and insert it at an angle between the block and the ring gear. You just need to position it against the diection of rotation rather than with it - sounds complicated but once you try to do it you will see it is fairly obvious. That is unless Audi have supplied a dedicated locking hole somewhere.

You could try working out the torque by using your weight, then work out how long a lever sleeve (piece of scaffold tube) you have to slide over a good quality knuckle bar to get your result. If all else fails, if you have access to air pressure, use a pro grade air gun on it and let rip, not the must proffessional of ways, but in the absence of a better method................

Do you have a pair of calipers to measure the bolt size across the flats at all?.

Edited by kentphil1

Thats a big torque spanner alright.

We have 1m 1kN ones in work.

Because joint bolts / temp clamps need to be set to 580.

Bit of confusion when they first arrived, i watched 2 lads setting a clamp to 850! God love them when i told them after their struggle that night :D

• Haha 1

I would make sure you put plenty of oil over those cam lobes with an oil can.

You don't want it running dry and picking up a follower on first start up until the oil pressure gets up and round the head.

Looking good though.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2019 at 22:35, kentphil1 said:

Yep, on a beast scale, thars a 10/10 :biggrin:

I have one at work that we used to check the torque on the bolts on the stand at Twickenham...   about 5ft long with a socket that's about 3" across the flats...

On 03/02/2019 at 17:00, kentphil1 said:

I would make sure you put plenty of oil over those cam lobes with an oil can.

You don't want it running dry and picking up a follower on first start up until the oil pressure gets up and round the head.

Looking good though.

Already put some on there but I'll add more before I bolt the cover on.

8 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

It's like watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers...except with much bigger breaks for the adverts and the programme lasting a lot longer :D  :thumbup:  :)

I know! I wish I had more time to work on it but I have a lot going on at the moment. Stressful times.