Rob's Ur Quattro

RobClubley

1 hour ago, RobClubley said:

Gulp...

image.png.6ae8efca143aae54b36637e8f2b9a759.png

Plus $1550 clutch and about $400 in other parts.

So $8kish, or a little over 4,000 English pounds :D

Ouch!! 

Soo the Wookies weekend!

The Christchurch and Wellington crews met at Mana BP - which was a financially painful hour or so - it took me about 30 mins to get 71 litres in - I need to look at the tank vents again. I've checked everything over but either something's still blocked or kinked, or there's a design flaw here!

DmbmcWC.jpg

pb3wpGq.jpg

3thN0U9.jpg

And I ended up being last-minute transport for a set of 19" BBS wheels from a Golf.
XXKJcQp.jpg

Next stop Bulls, then Taihape, then Ohakune.
On the way to Taihape my speedo was playing up, only reading when pressing the accelerator, going to zero when coasting. It made keeping to the speed limit down hills a bit tricky.
I did a bit of soldering in the BP car park and it was better on the next leg but not perfect.

F9J4XoH.jpg

Y8nYVWD.jpg

dOORSml.jpg

fxOE6KB.jpg

SGSSxWM.jpg

XVgT0YZ.jpg

Bit more soldering later on and things improved, though it still occasionally read whatever it wanted occasionally

TPvfeUK.jpg

mDlCORt.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

Day 2 - the main event! Rusty ran really well.
The clutch and gear shift feel much better, handling and steering are massively improved too.
The car sounds great, and had no real issues. Patrizia started telling me "Brake system defective" but everything felt right, no actual brake issues, so I temporarily unplugged the sensor on the brake bomb to shut her up.

XI2Y7l4.jpg
rFqDKtE.jpg
DfJ90N6.jpg
ome7h6c.jpg
QkhoN69.jpg
nEVgyBQ.jpg
DTdpemh.jpg
H7y1Vko.jpg
Gs9Npsp.jpg
nAAO7fC.jpg
u74AcXO.jpg
fbAyNi0.jpg
KfokVGE.jpg
boxRB4z.jpg
crNwirX.jpg
FRrt4Pb.jpg
pYgExKh.jpg
5M0tlhx.jpg
49P4q2x.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uAtQMYY.jpg
a9gJ3oI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/o2mRenm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/x3eJe3Z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kMrpKnX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FxctYip.jpg

• Like 4

Day 3 - home.
All went well on the run home until about 10km away on Transmission Gully in heavy rain and spray I started having boost issues over 3000RPM.
One to investigate once I have time.
Wookies itself was awesome - just a weekend driving around, hanging out with car people, eating and drinking and just having a chill time.
SiGXupf.jpg
C76wocz.jpg
ghNdlZB.jpg
Y6c1bDG.jpg
e0FPUGU.jpg
vaSmQCJ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

2 hours ago, RobClubley said:

it took me about 30 mins to get 71 litres in - I need to look at the tank vents again.

Maybe better to hold the trigger on about half flow? I get pressure problems if I try and run full flow.

16 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Maybe better to hold the trigger on about half flow? I get pressure problems if I try and run full flow.

About 20% kinda works but it still keeps bubbling back and if I don't stop pumping for a sec it goes on the floor.

17 hours ago, RobClubley said:

About 20% kinda works but it still keeps bubbling back and if I don't stop pumping for a sec it goes on the floor.

Which, at almost $3.30 a litre, means you have to sponge it up off the deck!

On 16/05/2022 at 20:26, RobClubley said:

Day 3 - home.
All went well on the run home until about 10km away on Transmission Gully in heavy rain and spray I started having boost issues over 3000RPM.
One to investigate once I have time.
Wookies itself was awesome - just a weekend driving around, hanging out with car people, eating and drinking and just having a chill time.
SiGXupf.jpg
C76wocz.jpg
ghNdlZB.jpg
Y6c1bDG.jpg
e0FPUGU.jpg
vaSmQCJ.jpg

Guess what we used to call Waiouru ATG?

18 hours ago, RobClubley said:

?

In polite language - "The Fundament of the World"  

Your pictures made me feel quite homesick. Was a visit to The Chateau included on your run? 

4 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

In polite language - "The Fundament of the World"  

Your pictures made me feel quite homesick. Was a visit to The Chateau included on your run? 

Haha yeah fair enough!

it’s pretty remote and cold.

Yes we stayed in Ohakune, drove up to Turoa then lunch at the tavern by the chateau then up to Whakapapa and back. Lots of photo stops and banter. 

Lots of drizzle and mist :)

It snowed the following weekend.

Did you trace your fuel filling issues?

I know on the TDI there was the vent pipe and a valve and whilst many people removed the valve to get more derv in, they could block up too.

I'm wondering if some old crud in the tank that's made it's way up into the vent is a problem?

As it's "only" the vent, I imagine it could be quite easily adapted to utilise one from a more modern VW group car if availability is an issue.

Coming back to the painful fuel bill, at least your two discounts covered the pie :)

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Did you trace your fuel filling issues?

I know on the TDI there was the vent pipe and a valve and whilst many people removed the valve to get more derv in, they could block up too.

I'm wondering if some old crud in the tank that's made it's way up into the vent is a problem?

As it's "only" the vent, I imagine it could be quite easily adapted to utilise one from a more modern VW group car if availability is an issue.

Coming back to the painful fuel bill, at least your two discounts covered the pie :)

Indeed and it was a damn good pie, too! And I realised after that they forgot to charge me for my coffee.

I haven't got to the bottom of it yet, no. There is one vent on the top of the tank which leads to a 5mm-ish plastic pipe. On later models it feeds via a gravity valve then out of a grommet in the boot floor. On mine it's just a 3m-ish long pipe with no valve - outlined in red. I pulled the whole pipe out, checked for blockages, re-routed it a bit and chopped about 75cm off the length. I can easily blow air into the pipe so it doesn't seem to be blocked. It's really odd. I have thought about the idea of making a new vent.

No. 14 on mine does not exist, and is what's needed I think.

image.png.0185ff959292279992c4dfdff8dac0f0.png
  • Like 1