Fitting RARB :: Rear Shock Bolt (ARGH!)

Right... I'm finally fitting my RARB (24mm Whiteline) and I'm already stumped.

I've read that the rear wheels need to have weight on them, so I've got the car up on some drive-on ramps instead of axle stands (though I do have some strategically placed in case of catastrophe!)

Problem is I can't even get the first bolt out (rear shock absorber).

P1080183_zpsbjep50zj.jpg

As you can see I've drowned it in WD40 but I still can't get it to budge. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something else I could try?

Any help really appreciated :sweat:

Get some PlusGas. That will shift it.

WD40 is not a proper releasing fluid.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/maintenance-fluids-and-greases/penetrating-fluids/?549774741&0&

Give it a soak in PlusGas, and actually try tightening it up slightly. That force should be enough to crack off the rust bond and allow it to undo :)

Edited by softscoop
  • Like 2

Try heating it up with a DIY blow torch so it doesn't get mega hot and melt the bush. When It's hot smack the face of the bolt with a hammer a few times to try and break the rust seal. See if that helps at all ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I was going to try a few out, but then realised adding extreme heat to extremely flammable WD40 was a bad idea :D

I'm going to let it soak up and dry out a bit, then give it another crack.

Cheers all :thumbup:

Plusgas goes even better with a bit of stray naked flame :D

• Like 1

If you've got proper impact sockets, ie those that are hexagonal and fit bolt heads exactly. Unlike regular sockets they won't round off the head if sitting squarely. Then get a two foot wrench and apply some angular moments force. Guess you'll need to lock another wrench against the trailing arm to stop the bolt rotating. At worst you'll sheer the bolt off, either way you'll need to replace with new that should be in your kit.

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 1

Consider purchasing some leverage. That bolt/nut doesn't look particularly rusted up to me, so I wonder if you're struggling with a spanner/ratchet handle that lacks length?

Breaker bar is always handy to have for when stuff puts up a fight.

Edit; haha ^ beaten to it by a minute, I must learn to type faster.