Buy A Skoda - never ever again

couchcommando

Think there should be a different thread re suveys (though I think there are hundreds already!)

Actually saw a new BMW with its bonnet up last night and the wife saw a new 5 series being pushed along the other day.Have to admit,you don't see that often,problem BM's.

Good luck in sorting the car CC

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only double standard here is that if Paul's comment had come from couchcommando and vice versa' date=' I would have banned Paul rather than giving him a friendly warning.

I'm not going to start issuing bans and the like for when people refer to groups in a derogatory sense, otherwise once I'd finished dealing with everyone who has ever slated BMW drivers there would be very few people left.

Rob.[/quote']

The comments made by Paul inflammed opinions of quite a few of us...... The nature of this site means that even general 'comments' seriously made or just a joke can be taken as personal offence..

Joking banter between Octavia vs Fabia is usually taken as fun...

The comments made in this thread are not the same and as you reacted to

Couchcommando's reply then you should have also warned Paul for his

comments.....

Dazz

I would love to add my 2p worth.

Having worked within the Rainworth place for well 5 years I have an opinon.

I worked at Worksop for nearly 3 years and self tought myself warranty and parts then picked up the service side.

I did have some help from then service manager Pete from Rainworth.

Then he left.

But Worksop WAS owned by Rainworth so they was keen to help

I was asked to go over there to do warranty as they was having problems.

I did eventually go after a while as Worksop lost the dealership.

After a couple of weeks it was obviouse to me that my new boss does not have the customer skills that I was used to.

I have reccomended some people to go there for repairs as I know that the head technician there is VERY good and does know his stuff.

But I could not do it now as the few that I reccomended to go there have been insulted.

I do not want the people to think that I think that is what I would do.

So I dont reccomend people to go there.It is a shame as they do have some excellent staff and I was extreamly sad to leave.

But hey I love this job too.

Why did I leave?

Mmm

Sarah

When moderating' date=' I have to go by what's actually written, not what may or not have been the motive. Paul's comments were not personal, hence no warning was issued - and over the years we have had quite a significant number of members who join for no other reason than to complain about dealers, and then decide not to contribute anything else to the site. Hence you get a certain bias in the posts on the forum, much like the bias in satisfaction surveys. So I wouldn't say it was totally unrelated as a comment.

Couchcommando's comments were personally abusive, which is not something tolerated here, no matter who is doing it - due to his short time on the forum, this was pointed this out to him rather than issuing a warning/ban.

I'm glad you can't be bothered to argue on this, because there isn't actually anything to discuss. :)

Rob.[/quote']

People will join this to maybe get advice of a 'taster' of issues they might

come up with if they buy a Skoda...

This is a public forum... Just because people don't stick around for months

does not mean what they have to say or add is any less important than

yours or my opinions

Maybe they have a problem, come on here find a solution and then disappear

until the next time... Thats the nature of this site, that is unless Colin starts charging a yearly fee for accessing... Then this is how it will remain...

Given the amount of good advice most of use give to various posts then this is a good thing...

Dazz

LOL

I know the comments were aimed at me but it really doesn't matter does it ? I've been around internet forums long enough to know posters with a high post count have a 'superiority' complex that somehow to them links their worth to how many times they have posted ;) ;)

I take no offence from his post other than to form an opinion, that opinion still stands :)

Anyway back to the car !

It went in for the fuel pump relay to be changed, being an electrical engineer I had my doubts about the relay because the car still drove albeit down on power and in my experience a relay either works or doesn't.

But the computer said relay so realy it was, this being the same computer that also said the instrument lights all work LOL

So we're back at Rainworth and the relay is changed, and voila the car is still down on power but now there are no dash warning lights. The service manager is helpful and polite and offers me his car on Tuesday when they will take the car back in, this is the service I expect and a turn around for the dealer.

As for the problem we don't know yet, the car won't pull below 3k rpm then takes off. It will accelerate slowly in the lower gears but not in the higher ones :(

It is also drinking fuel so I'm assuming some sort of turbo/boost problem.

I'm not confident it is going to be a quick problem to solve either.

Thanks to everyone who has replied and I will confirm i'm sticking around :)

PS apologies to the mods, I'm used to forums where a more 'abrupt' posting style is acceptable, I assumed that was going to be the case here when a pop was made at me ;) ;) I'll adjust my style now :)

Pauls comments on people who fill in reliability surveys will also be taken

as a personal dig by us who will fill this in to try and feedback to Skoda.

where they are good and where they need to improve this does not make us

Tw*ts !!!

Dazz

We have a difference of opinion. :rolleyes: . You feel its ok to have the words mother f***** in your location. I dont. ;)

However I dont report every post and complain and whine...

To bring this back on topic:

FACTS

CouchCommando has purchased a used vehicle from a company that has gone pop.

This is an ex company car.

The history or treatment of this car is unclear.

OPINION

So its been driven on motorways by A.N.Other whose driving style cannot be accounted for/ may have been disgruntled with his failing employer.....

Who blames the dealer for not wishing to change discs under warranty?

Who is to say that the discs are suffering from mfr defect or have merely been stood on from 110mph to 0 on one to many motorway sliproads?

We have a difference of opinion. :rolleyes: . You feel its ok to have the words mother f***** in your location. I dont. ;)

However I dont report every post and complain and whine...

To bring this back on topic:

FACTS

CouchCommando has purchased a used vehicle from a company that has gone pop.

This is an ex company car.

The history or treatment of this car is unclear.

OPINION

So its been driven on motorways by A.N.Other whose driving style cannot be accounted for/ may have been disgruntled with his failing employer.....

Who blames the dealer for not wishing to change discs under warranty?

Who is to say that the discs are suffering from mfr defect or have merely been stood on from 110mph to 0 on one to many motorway sliproads?

Just to clear the cars history up, it was bought with 10k miles on the clock and a full Skoda service history, 1 stamp admittedly. I bought it from a company I know and have done 5k more miles in it :)

If the car was "bankrupt" stock how long had it been stood outside and not driven? I have read that part worn discs are prone to warpig if left to stand for months.

Don't want to get into bother but regards surveys I would expect someone paying50 k for a car to make a bigger issue of a small fault than someone spending 20k. However as skoda prices are now pretty much more in line with Ford/ Vauxhall (after discounts) addmittedly with better spec then this does not equate to top gear findings.

IMHO someone who as spent 50k on a car is less likely to fill in a survey if it was perfect (better things to do with their time), A Ford Vauxhall is more likely to be a company car so unloved and not cared about so why fill in a survey so only private owners fill in so a warped proportion of ownership + these dealers more geared to commercials, Skoda on the otherhand higher proportion of private buyers, garages more geared to this ( allthough a trend in postings on this site lead me to believe that in the last couple of (plate glass) years this is unfortunately fading). The point I am trying to say in a long winded way is that if this superb had all been fixed by dealer at no cost then in 18 months time when the survey came round u would have given skoda golden marks acroos the board forgetting faults but praisng dealers

Now u give poor marks soley down to dealer, listing every minor niggle. I have had 5 skodas so far. The first favorit cameout of the showroom with a gearbox oil leak, all the locks failed at one time or another, the heater went etc, each time the dealer fixed immediatly and when the warrenty was about to run out even fitted me a new exhaust FREE cos it looked badly corroded!!!!!!!! Do you think if I had filled in a survey I would have slagged the car off for all the faults , these had all been forgotten due to the excellent service I had received and they had caused me no aggro.( this dealer IMO was forced into receivership by VW as they could not afford to keep upgrading their premises etc). The Furby vRS the wife had, The wipers failed, the cdplayer went caput, trim fell off (nearside front tweater cover common fault I believe). New plate glass dealer: Immediatley rectified wipers (fuse blown but spent a hour checking why blown), Got charged for new trim at service but immediate refund and apology when pointed out, CD player told it had to be sent away for repair, left without for a month (then given a new unit), did complain but told it was skoda policy to repair. slightly miffed at this and would have given negative survey at this point. Have bought 2 more cars from this dealer since but had no prob with either car so can't comment further. so feedback for survey at moment 0 not good not bad would not bother filling in but cars been fine just nothing stands out and that is my point TO FILL IN A SURVEY SOMETHING MUST STAND OUT. we expect cars to work, if they do it doesn't stand out only good / bad service stands out, to get either there must be a fault in rthe first place, so surveys only reflect the dealer network as a whole apart from in niche markets ie cost a fortune/ go very fast eg s2000 exceeds expectations threw performance, Merc does not meet threw minor faults a skoda / ford/ vauxhall owner might not notice, have issue with.

Afternoon folks,

Today I had no choice but to drive the car as it is my only transport, it started but won't rev much above 3k rpm, there are also a few other faults now

Headlights don't work

Tail lights don't work

Brake lights don't work

Horn doesn't work

Parking sensor doesn't work

Cruise control doesn't work

Engine light on

Pre heater light came on when driving and temp went up 10 degrees

No steering wheel controls

Not bad eh ?

I honestly believe the dealer will never be able to sort this car our, I am an electrical engineer and there are just too many unconnected things going wrong. I await their diagnosis.....

I honestly believe the dealer will never be able to sort this car our, I am an electrical engineer and there are just too many unconnected things going wrong. I await their diagnosis.....

On the contrary , there aren't going to be that many completely unrelated faults on your car.

There will be a common cause that is responsible. Just hope the dealer can find it sooner rather than later

Just a wild guess but I had a series of seemingly unrelated faults (not on a Skoda) that actually were all linked by the fact that they shared the same earth! It had been dislodged during a radiator replacement and only showed up above 3000rpm - god knows why but it's true - and I am an electrical engineer too! though not for a living anymore.

Interesting re cold spell.My lights on warning buzzer has decided to stop working....then work again.This morning though...not working again (including warning with indicator parking light on)

And now credit where it is due, the car went in this morning for all the above faults, the service manager gave me his car as courtesy ones were all booked out.

2 faults were found, the maf sensor for the loss of power and a loose multiplug for all the other faults. So top marks to Rainworth Motors.

Fingers crossed for the next few months :)

And now credit where it is due' date=' the car went in this morning for all the above faults, the service manager gave me his car as courtesy ones were all booked out.

2 faults were found, the maf sensor for the loss of power and a loose multiplug for all the other faults. So top marks to Rainworth Motors.

Fingers crossed for the next few months :)[/quote']A good result and nothing major - although the list of problems was pretty depressing. Let's hope you can get on now and enjoy your car - perhaps with a liitle more oooph if you are seriously considering a tuning box. :D

A good result and nothing major - although the list of problems was pretty depressing. Let's hope you can get on now and enjoy your car - perhaps with a liitle more oooph if you are seriously considering a tuning box. :D

Definately, will fit a tuning box or a re-map. Had mixed results with a dragon box on my trafic van so hopefully I'll get recommendations from the other thread.

• 5 weeks later...

I drive a 3 1/2 year old 2.5V6 TDI and have done for 5 months. Its done 53K and is chipped to run at just under 200BHP.

I drive the car hard and its not perfect. The suspension is far too soft and as a result the underside of my car spends a lot of time removing chunks of tarmac from country lanes as I hurtle down them at suicidal speed in the middle of the night.

Given the way I drive it I have to say the cars are good. Very good. So far its needed new pads all round and a main dipped headlamp bulb. Nothing else at all..

Before the Skoda I had a Peugeot and that vsisted the dealer once or twice a month. The only thing that hadn't been replaced or repaired after 30 months of my driving was the gearbox. In this I include more or less everything from the radio through to the engine.

Comparing the 2 makes you appreciate how good the cars are compared to the competition, especially given the prices.

OK the dealers are awful in general. Have you been to other dealers though? I still have a Peugeot dealer chasing me for

I see a lot of problems with skodas in general in UK.

To be honest i almost changed my mind to buy the octy RS afer reading some of the posts.

But I'm glad i bought the car.

And the car has no problems,although i have just done 6000kms on it. But I have taken it on Indian highways twice in this period, and Indian highways are hardly gentle on the car.

Only problem i had was severe door rattling, which was sorted out.

Also the dealers here are not how Skoda UK dealers are sounding from the posts I've read.

Maybe that's bcos in India the car is being marketed as a premium segment car, hence Skoda, India is taking better care of it's image here.