Tools...

planehazza

Hi all,

I'm not looking to do any serious jobs, but I'm going to be doing things like plugs, filters, pads and discs etc. myself.  I only have basic, cheap tools.  What essentials can you recommend? What's that tool that every pro or novice mechanic should have (other than BriSkoda of course :D )?

Was looking at getting some thing like this.  Figured it should have most of what I need if I'm going to have a go at cleaning the valve inlets on my VRS:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-200-piece-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set

That's a fair start. Jack, stands and a hammer. Screw drivers, pliers, pry bars. I'd get a cheap set of combination spanners for the places the ratchet spanners won't go in.

A diagnostic reader and a multimeter are just as essential these days.

• Like 2

That's a fair start. Jack, stands and a hammer. Screw drivers, pliers, pry bars. I'd get a cheap set of combination spanners for the places the ratchet spanners won't go in.

A diagnostic reader and a multimeter are just as essential these days.

That looks pretty comprehensive for the money. (limited) Lifetime warranty on the Halfords pro stuff and Nectar points too. :thumbup:

Yeah might give it a go. 

We have spanners dotted about the shed, and I have plenty of small tools from my RC hobbies. Stands and jack I already have.  The only sockets I have is this set, and annoyingly I'm missing the adapter so ratchet won't fit my plug socket :(

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-30-piece-socket-set-1-4

Torque wrench, there is one due in lidl on Monday 1/10 for £15.99

Ooh, that's something I've always wanted but never had an excuse to buy one :D I'll keep an eye out, thanks :)

So unless anyone tells me not to, I think I'm going to go grab that 200pc £150 pro set.  The others don't have a full set of ratcheting spanners :)

Edited by planehazza

Shame they don't ditch the twenty or thirty imperial size sockets and make it a bit cheaper and more compact. (And quicker to put everything back in its right place after you pick it up with the catches not fully done up...)

• Like 1

Used them tonight for the first time and my experience matches the reviews. Very good set, but the box is crap.  If you own or are planning to buy them, mark the ratchet/spanner side as the top.  If you do what I did tonight, you'll inevitably open the socket side first and they'll all spill out everywhere.  

Otherwise, it was great using a nice set of tools for a change!

Oh dear, that was a bit soon to be doing the 'pick up all the contents' trick. :sweat:

Another tool that's superb to own is a set of remote hose clip pliers. I got that set (as a present so the cost didn't hurt me!) and they've worked superbly. Cheaper versions no doubt exist, but I can't vouch for their quality. Being able to undo those clips wherever they are easily and having the ratchet hold them open makes water-hose jobs sooooo much easier.

BTW, I'd be grateful to anyone who can explain to me the weird stuff underneath the "Package Quantity 1" line on that Amazon page.  Would anyone actually choose to buy a package containing 2 of these items for about 3.5 times the money you'd pay if you bought two of the packages with one in?  What am I misunderstanding? :D

• Like 1

Oh dear, that was a bit soon to be doing the 'pick up all the contents' trick. :sweat:

Another tool that's superb to own is a set of remote hose clip pliers. I got that set (as a present so the cost didn't hurt me!) and they've worked superbly. Cheaper versions no doubt exist, but I can't vouch for their quality. Being able to undo those clips wherever they are easily and having the ratchet hold them open makes water-hose jobs sooooo much easier.

BTW, I'd be grateful to anyone who can explain to me the weird stuff underneath the "Package Quantity 1" line on that Amazon page.  Would anyone actually choose to buy a package containing 2 of these items for about 3.5 times the money you'd pay if you bought two of the packages with one in?  What am I misunderstanding? :D

Hehe I just saw that too and was about to ask the same thing...

I've seen the same weird offer on several other Amazon items recently. I bought a padlock that was also available in a quantity of two for five times the price. I ordered one and it came as a twin pack for the one item price - go figure.

I still have the Halfords socket set I bought for my first car in '84, and it has lasted well with no breakages - they are a good buy.

• Like 1

I have a comprehensive tool kit including 4 trolley jacks, but one of the most useful bits of kit I have when fitting stuff upwards is a small scissor jack I got for £1 at a car boot sale. Sometimes things just need a small jack for support/adjustment and this is more stable than a bottle jack (of which I have a few in varying sizes.)

Halfords Pro is good kit and so cheap it would've been rude not to buy a set.

• Like 1

Oil filter grippers, caliper rewind tool, and you won't need one very often but you'll find it pretty hard to get an oxygen sensor out without a lambda socket. Get a range of cleaners too, carb cleaner, contact cleaner, isopropyl alcohol etc for sensor and mechanical maintenance.

Gaffa tape!!

I'm surprised no one has suggested all you only need Duct Tape and WD-40 to fix cars. :p  Oh and maybe a big hammer!

Actually I was once told you could strip down an old Mini with only 2 imperial sized spanners. :yes:

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has suggested all you only need Duct Tape and WD-40 to fix cars. :p  Oh and maybe a big hammer!

Actually I was once told you could strip down an old Mini with only 2 imperial sized spanners. :yes:

Or 1 adjustable?

• 9 months later...