Uprated Haldex Controller

EddyH

Excellent, have fitted a similar unit before (Forge IIRC) which was adjustable in car. Good fun to fit them little units, who ever gets the pleasure of that will have a whale (wail?) of a time :)

Darren at JBS fitted a used R32 unit for me a while ago which unfortunately turned out to be faulty. Took about 1hr in total which was basically doing the job twice as the original had to be refitted.

Seem to remember you talking about these a while ago Eddy.

Think the watermark is a bit OTT' date=' is that a new site feature?[/quote']

Yes, the watermark is now automatically added to gallery entries, I agree it's a bit big and visable.

Fitted on Saturday but I've not had the opportunity to really try it out as I've been ill.

However it was noticable the first time I accelerated off a roundabout and round a corner. The split is now biased towards the rear with a definete presence of oversteer, the car now just pulls into the corner rather than drifting wide like before. It feels very good and really inspires confidence.

It's hard to write exactly how good it feels and I think this is the reason there is little in the way of reviews for this item. It totally changes the way the car corners and if I'd have known it was this good I'd have bought one long ago.

One thing to note is that my original haldex unit may have been faulty, I'm happy now though so that's all that matters.

Good news, Eddy. Perhaps you can do a full review in due course when you have more experience of how the new controller has changed the handling. :thumbup:

PS: Where did you buy it?

Yeah, I'll do a full review when I've had a bit more driving time.

Purchased from Big Boys Toys. Price was £499+vat with free fitting but as I was a bit far away from them to justify them fitting it I managed to get 10% off instead for supply only.

It's also available from Awesome but they wouldn't discount or from EIP in the US ($899-10%).

Still don't think I've tried it in enough situations for a full review yet as the roads are still very damp and greasy. However it seems to be really excelling in these conditions. The car is now much more planted when burrying the throttle. Instead of squirming around as it previously did in these conditions it just heads up the road exactly where you point it. The ESP is intervening much less than previously. The car is also really good fun on roundabouts when oversteer can be introduced at will.

The only downside is the car now feels like it could handle a lot more power and has got me thinking about a big turbo.

Still don't think I've tried it in enough situations for a full review yet as the roads are still very damp and greasy. However it seems to be really excelling in these conditions. The car is now much more planted when burrying the throttle. Instead of squirming around as it previously did in these conditions it just heads up the road exactly where you point it. The ESP is intervening much less than previously. The car is also really good fun on roundabouts when oversteer can be introduced at will.

The only downside is the car now feels like it could handle a lot more power and has got me thinking about a big turbo.

:rofl:

glad to hear your enjoying it..

i could really do with 4x4 in these naff conditions... cant use full power in 1st,2nd or 3rd without lighting the fronts up :o

makes the golf tdi 4motion a more attractive proposition...

The 225ps is at the flywheel. Take into account the 80-odd bhp transmission losses and even a small hot hatch should be able to beat the Scooby ;)

Chris

BHP / tonne @ wheels is a good way of gauging what compares to what, but beyond 100 mph co efficient drag becomes a factor, and midrange torque can change things. So each car should be judged on it's own merit I think :)

But it is interesting, that Eddy's car may now be quicker, but weighs the same and is the same bhp :holmes:

• Like 1

Having beaten an STI on the road I really doubt I'd have problems with a WRX.

Also I agree that a hot hatch will beat a WRX at least that was the case when I had a CTR.