Winter wheels are on

Thinking about buying a set myself. Got the winter set on the X6 but not bought a set for the L&K. Don't really want to go steel, but not getting much help from dealers as to what wheels are available. 16" may also look a little small so 17" might be better.

I hit a problem with both warranty and insurance on that option.

The insurers insisted that it would count as a 'mod' to fit non-OEM wheels (or even non-OEM type tyres) whereas Skoda told me they would not cover anything on the transmission if non-OEM part wheels/tyres were used. They weren't bothered if I sourced them elsewhere just as long as they were the same parts that the factory would have supplied if I had bought from them.

BMW and Mini did the same a few years back so we had OEM wheels and tyres for those too.

Having discussed it with friends in the know it appears to be a completely legitimate standpoint by both parties.

With both Manufacturers and Insurers looking for any reason not to pay up, it seems the motorist is going to be pushed into ever more restricted corners!

Thinking about buying a set myself. Got the winter set on the X6 but not bought a set for the L&K. Don't really want to go steel, but not getting much help from dealers as to what wheels are available. 16" may also look a little small so 17" might be better.

I tried getting another set of the 18" Zenith wheels the car came with, TPS quoted me around £670 for the set, but showing no stock in the factory - so could have been weeks before I got them.

Didn't try other sizes though.

Has anyone got along to a page with all the alloy versions on it? Or is it case of the current car brochure? I suppose spending an hour trying to get the configurator to play is one way, but no prices!! And I might have to go 'poverty spec' to see the choices - with factory prices so not helpful.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

I got a set of 17" Skudo Alloys, as my winter set from Superskoda, at a cost of approx £430, and £20 for delivery , as I too thought that 16" steels looked just too small.

I got a set of 17" Skudo Alloys, as my winter set from Superskoda, at a cost of approx £430, and £20 for delivery , as I too thought that 16" steels looked just too small.

Do you have any photos of them fitted? 

I looked at the Scudo’s on SS and was very tempted with them.

• Sponsor

Has anyone got along to a page with all the alloy versions on it? Or is it case of the current car brochure? I suppose spending an hour trying to get the configurator to play is one way, but no prices!! And I might have to go 'poverty spec' to see the choices - with factory prices so not helpful.

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to help out.

Regards,

Dan.

Do you have any photos of them fitted? 

I looked at the Scudo’s on SS and was very tempted with them.

When weather improves over here, I'll take a photo or two.

• Like 1

The German accessory catalogue shows all the optional rims with part numbers - pages 10 to 13.

Many of these cannot specified with a new car, although it's more a case of variations in finish rather than styles.

Approximate UK prices per rim will probably be about £165 for 17", £185 for 18" and £250 for 19" (including VAT), based on the Euro price converted to what I paid in Sterling for my 18" bronze Zenith, which back in July was a very generous £1 = 1.4€.

Bear in mind this is only for the rims and does not include tyres.

16" rim prices are shown as TBA.

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

I've had my 2 litre SEL for four weeks now, and after two days I put my winter steel 16 inch wheels off my mk3 octavia that I traded in, on, I have done 2k miles, and yesterday I did Durham to Nottingham to Lincoln and back to Durham about 360 miles, set the ACC at 75 mph on motorway and at 53 mph through road works and the average mpg was 62.3. if I had left the 17 inch wheels on this mpg figure would have been even higher.

Photo’s of jonnb’s Scudo’s:

20151215_093205_zpsv3nbigay.jpg

20151215_093220_zpsiyaqvtem.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The temperature has been all over the place in Kent, seen 3° one morning on the way to work and 14° a couple of days later (still at 0330!), so no they did not need to go on yet... but there is nothing worse than changing (and cleaning) wheels in the freezing cold!

I suppose it depends a lot on where you live and what you do, if it gets bad enough to warrant Winter Tyres in London I won't be going anywhere in the car and will rely on the buses and trains or shanks' pony! 

You folks who have fitted winter tyres already, have you needed to? Is the weather where you are cold enough to warrant them.

Down here in S Wales, it's 10c+ every day.

I'm in Germany (just for Xmas) and winter tyres are mandatory. Always looks strange seeing some high end German metal with either steelies or worse, hub caps. A lot of folks (or should that be 'volks') keep a spare set of rims and tyres. Just today I saw a newish S Class with some dodgy halfords style covers on.

This could be a whole new thread, 'nice motor, dodgy wheels'...

I just go to my local tyre place and get them swapped over and store the tyres in the shed.

Not sure what to do when I get my SE L in March. Get 18" winter tyres and just swap them, or buy a set of 17" tyres and some rims...