Winter wheels are on

I'm in Germany (just for Xmas) and winter tyres are mandatory. Always looks strange seeing some high end German metal with either steelies or worse, hub caps. A lot of folks (or should that be 'volks') keep a spare set of rims and tyres. Just today I saw a newish S Class with some dodgy halfords style covers on.

This could be a whole new thread, 'nice motor, dodgy wheels'...

I just go to my local tyre place and get them swapped over and store the tyres in the shed.

Not sure what to do when I get my SE L in March. Get 18" winter tyres and just swap them, or buy a set of 17" tyres and some rims... 

Totally different ethos in Germany, where practicality rules over looks. Black steel wheels are the preferred choice as they are far less prone to damage from rock-salt than alloys, especially the lacquered variety.

Almost all German car dealerships and tyre dealerships will store your winter/summer rims and tyres for a small annual fee that includes swapping them over twice a year. Just turn up when you want to swap and 10 minutes later you've switched.

Your wheels are cleaned, polished and placed in storage. Simples!