Fan running

Parked up tonight after a 6 mile drive and the fan continued running after I switched off. This was accompanied by a strong 'new electrical' smell. Fan switched off after about 3-5 mins. Is this normal?

I've noticed the smell or the fan staying on after parking up, but not at the same time.

I know the thread is in the Octavia section, but its still the same idea. It sounds like a dpf regeneration that you stopped.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/301020-my-new-diesel-smells-like-burning-rubber-andor-the-fan-stays-on-after-engine-is-turned-off/

I think your dealer should have explained it to you when you picked it up. But I am glad you're happy now :)

It was a little disconcerting the first few times I interrupted a regen on mine!

Jimmy Green question from a diesel virgin.  Does the regen start immediately again when you drive off later? Mine was mid regen this pm. I parked for about 15 minutes. Would the regen have restarted as soon as up to temperature?

thanks in advance

Jimmy Green question from a diesel virgin. Does the regen start immediately again when you drive off later? Mine was mid regen this pm. I parked for about 15 minutes. Would the regen have restarted as soon as up to temperature?

thanks in advance

This how it worked during my time on Volvo. You had 3 chances to complete a started regen then you got a warning to drive until regen finished. IF this was interupted you got a last chance red warning and then limp home mode. It may be different in Skoda.

• Like 1

Jimmy Green question from a diesel virgin.  Does the regen start immediately again when you drive off later? Mine was mid regen this pm. I parked for about 15 minutes. Would the regen have restarted as soon as up to temperature?

thanks in advance

It probably won't be immediate. There are some conditions that have to be met - for example, coolant above a certain temperature, road speed above a certain limit, etc.

Also, as you were partway through a regen, the soot loading would have dropped by some margin, quite possibly below the threshold that triggers regen. If you have VCDS and are geeky enough like me you can monitor soot loading as you drive...

On older generation DPFs you'll hear people saying you have to hold revs above XXXX RPM and drive at over YYmph for it to happen, but on the modern engines - where the DPF is tightly coupled to the engine instead of being an afterthough a long way down the exhaust - it happens much more easily.

Essentially, it's not really a concern any more. It just works unobtrusively.

See page numbers 57 - 62 (61-66 of the PDF) of the self-study guide for more info: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/372793-self-study-guide-for-ea288-diesel-engine

Edited by muddyboots
  • Like 1

It probably won't be immediate. There are some conditions that have to be met - for example, coolant above a certain temperature, road speed above a certain limit, etc.

Also, as you were partway through a regen, the soot loading would have dropped by some margin, quite possibly below the threshold that triggers regen. If you have VCDS and are geeky enough like me you can monitor soot loading as you drive...

On older generation DPFs you'll hear people saying you have to hold revs above XXXX RPM and drive at over YYmph for it to happen, but on the modern engines - where the DPF is tightly coupled to the engine instead of being an afterthough a long way down the exhaust - it happens much more easily.

Essentially, it's not really a concern any more. It just works unobtrusively.

See page numbers 57 - 62 (61-66 of the PDF) of the self-study guide for more info: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/372793-self-study-guide-for-ea288-diesel-engine

Are you intimating that a modern diesel engine can handle short journeys at relatively (no motorways/dual carriageways) slow speeds?

Are you intimating that a modern diesel engine can handle short journeys at relatively (no motorways/dual carriageways) slow speeds?

I suspect you'd have problems if you only ever did stop-start city driving, but you certainly don't need to be doing high (ie motorway or dual carriageway) speeds any more.

Not sure what the thresholds are, but active regens occur at lower road/engine speed thresholds than they used to.

I've noticed my Yeti doing them within a couple of miles of a cold start when the engine speed has never exceeded 2000rpm.

Have a feeling I've seen some thresholds in a self-study guide somewhere, can't remember where though.

I suspect you'd have problems if you only ever did stop-start city driving, but you certainly don't need to be doing high (ie motorway or dual carriageway) speeds any more.

Not sure what the thresholds are, but active regens occur at lower road/engine speed thresholds than they used to.

I've noticed my Yeti doing them within a couple of miles of a cold start when the engine speed has never exceeded 2000rpm.

Have a feeling I've seen some thresholds in a self-study guide somewhere, can't remember where though.

Many thanks.

Anyone found the engine tone/exhaust changing while the car is regening or noticable bottom end lag ?

Could always tell when the E60 was doing a regen from the tone and feel of the rev's

Thinking more about this, what I did notice was that the auto-stop wasn't kicking in. That is probably a good clue that it is doing a regen. The journey was a 6 mile semi urban commute where I didn't get above 40mph.

Thinking more about this, what I did notice was that the auto-stop wasn't kicking in. That is probably a good clue that it is doing a regen. The journey was a 6 mile semi urban commute where I didn't get above 40mph.

If the car is doing a regen, the start stop is disabled. The car tries to keep the exhaust hot while the process is happening. However the regen won't be successful if you leave the car idling. You'll also notice it idling slightly higher than normal, in my Octavia normal idle is 850rpm, idle when doing a regen is 1000rpm.

That's interesting to know. I did notice that the stop start didnt operate but thought I had switched it off as I often do (doh!). According to the manual there is an alarm but I guess that only comes on if the filter reaches critical pressure due to failed previous regens or whatever? The warning light appears to  be an icon that looks like a filter box with in/out pipework bubbles in the box. I didn't see any such alarm appear at any time!

Also found this on page 41 of the owners manual.

"The diesel particulate filter separates the soot particles from the exhaust. The soot particles collect in the diesel particulate filter where they are burnt on a regular basis.

Warning light illuminates means the filter is clogged with soot. To clean the filter, and where traffic conditions permit , drive as follows for at least 15 minutes or until the indicator light goes out.

• 4th or 5th gear engaged (automatic transmission: Position D/S).
  • Vehicle speed at least 70 km/h. 44 mph approx
  • Engine speed between 1800 - 2500 rpm.

If the filter is properly cleaned, the warning light  extinguishes.

If the filter is not properly cleaned, the warning light does not go out and the warning light begins to flash. As long as the warning light illuminates, one must take into account an increased fuel consumption and a power reduction of the engine.
Using diesel fuel with an increased sulphur content can considerably reduce the life of the diesel particle filter. A ŠKODA partner will be able to tell you
which countries use diesel fuel with a high sulphur content.
Note
We encourage you to avoid constant short journeys. This will improve the combustion process of the soot particles in the diesel particulate filter. "

Yes, you're right, the light only comes on when it gets to a certain level of soot, then you need to do as it says in the manual. The regens we are talking about here are not these. I've never had the warning light either.

The user manual does explain a lot of this, but it should also be explained when you collect the car from the dealer.

• Like 1

Thinking about the DPF warning above on fuels. Does anywhere in Europe now offer anything other than ULSD diesel? I thought the days of the high Sulphur fuel were long gone?

I did notice that the fuel restrictions are tighter on the current range than on my old Octy 1s. Those would run on just about anything, but these new models are 'proper' diesel only, with a low bio content.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

The warning light appears to  be an icon that looks like a filter box with in/out pipework bubbles in the box. I didn't see any such alarm appear at any time!

That's right - you should never see any warning lights.

On my Yeti, I can't feel any performance change when it's doing an active regen. Just a slightly more gruff exhaust note due to the increased heat (particularly around 1500rpm) and it idles around 50rpm higher than usual.

• Like 1