Mercedes-Benz CL500 5.0

silver1011

I spend too much time dreaming on Autotrader.

My favourite search is sports / coupe's under £5,000.

I one day dream of a 'weekend' car, something fast but comfy, luxurious, a car that was ridiculously expensive and unobtainable when new.

For some reason I keep stopping on the Merc CL500's. An amazing amount of car for the money.

Just spent 10 minutes drooling over this one trying to get the wife interested, she's having none of it  :D

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510137773017?sort=pricedesc&body-type=coupe&price-to=5000&postcode=KY11%202BD&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&search-target=usedcars&radius=1500&page=22&logcode=p

post-47983-0-40030000-1450563452_thumb.jpg

post-47983-0-69530400-1450563454_thumb.jpg

post-47983-0-16300400-1450563456_thumb.jpg

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

That is a lot of car for not much cash..

Wonder how many bodily fluids them forensic lads would find in it... ;)

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1

Blimey. If I made my car buying decisions without regard to matrimonial discord, I'd be having that. So, the road tax is ridiculous (I like the way the ad says "tax not available" !) and it'd drink petrol, but it's barely run in. Beautiful.

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean, it would just be nice to have something like that sitting in the garage. My boss had one several years ago and it was a great car, although he felt it was a granddad type car so swapped it for a new SL500.

The one you've picked out doesn't appear to have much MOT history which is odd, possibly something not quite right here, unless it had a private plate until recently it which case I'm not sure if there's any way of telling if the mileage is correct or not.

Merc's blip in quality was in the 1990's / early 2000's, back to average by 2005 and up to their pre-1990's slump by 2007.

They have yet to get back to the famous W140 standard!

Still, it is worth remembering that at their worst they were still better than most.

The electronics are always a worry, as is the hydraulic ABC (Active Body Control) system I understand.

Edited by silver1011

If its pre 2006, max road tax is £290 iirc, regardless.

RBW.

Blimey. If I made my car buying decisions without regard to matrimonial discord, I'd be having that. So, the road tax is ridiculous (I like the way the ad says "tax not available" !) and it'd drink petrol, but it's barely run in. Beautiful.

If its pre 2006, max road tax is £290 iirc, regardless.

RBW.

with regard to road tax in the rep of irl,

I just checked and as its pre 2008, and over 3litres -

1809euro / year.. or £1317 according to xe.com just now..

aka not far off double the value of my car as a px.

Wow I bet that's a money pit. I lovely lovely money pit though. If you can do a bit of work yourself, it might be worth a punt. keep it for a couple of years and you might hit a sweet spot with no major problems :)

If you're not doing mad miles why not?

I would love to get something silly before everything gets replaced by 1l turbos.

Suspect this will be fantastic until it's not.

Every bill will be horrific. Get it, run it for a year then punt.

Saw a lovely old 750Li this morning.

No replacement for displacement. Don't care what the stats say B)

• Like 2