DSG Update

Well after 1300 miles with my first DSG I thought I would update....

I love it !

BUT !

The weird thing is I drive it almost exclusively in manual mode with just the odd nod at auto.

I sometimes use auto when :

Pulling away at islands so I can concentrate on what's happening without worrying about gears

Pulling away from lights if I think the person who has nipped into the outside lane deserves smoking :-) somehow that's more satisfying in auto ...

And that's about it.... I just love the paddles !

Edited by Nick_H
  • Like 2

I used to have a DSG and never used the paddles except to try them out a few times. I can't see the point in having an auto box if you change gears manually, maybe on the odd occasion, to me that's the whole point of having an auto - it does it for you. That's just reminded me I've never even tried the wife's BMW in manual change mode since we've had it, ever.

As you say, weird, maybe you are still in change over mode in your head between having a manual and now auto, perhaps you should just try leaving it to do its thing for a week and then see how you feel about it.

• Like 1

I used to have a DSG and never used the paddles except to try them out a few times. I can't see the point in having an auto box if you change gears manually, maybe on the odd occasion, to me that's the whole point of having an auto - it does it for you. That's just reminded me I've never even tried the wife's BMW in manual change mode since we've had it, ever.

As you say, weird, maybe you are still in change over mode in your head between having a manual and now auto, perhaps you should just try leaving it to do its thing for a week and then see how you feel about it.

I have. I prefer it in manual. I guess if you're not really into cars and enjoy the driving experience you would just leave it in auto all the time ;-)

I have. I prefer it in manual. I guess if you're not really into cars and enjoy the driving experience you would just leave it in auto all the time ;-)

I'm certainly into cars, although I've lost the need for speed, traffic light racing etc (no licence=no job), and one thing I like about driving the wife's BMW is the way it just goes through the gears (8 speed) with no input from me. I currently have a manual Superb MK2 FL, and really miss my previous DSG car. Hopefully my next car will be an auto, the Superb is my company car and its three years old next October, I haven't decided what I'd like next, but an auto box is an almost must have. 

• Like 1

I must admit to finding the DSG needs more intervention than the true autos I have driven before. The 190 4x4 Combi version seems to want to stay at very low rpm for too long and I use the paddles when I need to rather than the kick down function.

There are several places on my daily commute where selecting manually rather than letting the computer drive gives a smoother drive. Switching to Sport is useful in roundabouts etc.

I don't drive with the selector in Manual though.

• Like 1

I have now been driving my car with DSG for 2-1/2 years. It is my first auto and I wish I had bought one earlier. For most of the time I just let the DSG 'get on with it' and concentrate on the other aspects of my driving. I would not purchase DSG without the paddles. I always use the paddles when overtaking as they allow me to change down before I start to overtake and give a smoother drive. Sport on the 170CR diesel is pointless as it holds the revs above where the diesel needs a higher gear to sustain the acceleration. I do use Sport to obtain and hold a lower gear on long descents.

I find the DSG particularly useful when joining a main road from a side turning. It enables me to accelerate out with both hands on the wheel and no need for that awkward 1-2 change when still needing lock on the steering.

My wife refuses to drive the car. She thinks an auto box will make it more difficult to drive!

• Like 2

That moment when you first drive an auto and engage the clutch which is actually the brake and have to remove your lips from the windscreen. Priceless

I have to admit to having done that myself :blush: . Luckily it was in a car park with no one behind me. I haven't stopped so quickly for years, at least it gave the ABS a good try out.

• Like 1

I have to say that the 190 (2wd) really needs more intervention than the 150 I had in the Octavia did. Like others have said, the 190 seems to like hanging onto the lower gears a lot longer. I felt like the 150 was perfect but the 190really needs help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am toying with getting auto transmission next as driving in London has become a pain with a manual, but when I did have an auto Granada several years ago I found I had no control over the car in snow and ice ( 2 very near scrapes ),with auto gears, coupled with power steering and power brakes. So what has changed to make auto trans so acceptable now ( and not global warming !)

I am toying with getting auto transmission next as driving in London has become a pain with a manual, but when I did have an auto Granada several years ago I found I had no control over the car in snow and ice ( 2 very near scrapes ),with auto gears, coupled with power steering and power brakes. So what has changed to make auto trans so acceptable now ( and not global warming !)

More control over the transmission, (manual holding of the gear you want to be in), FWD,  better power steering, servo brakes that give more "feel".

The older 3-speed slush-boxes relied on the torque-converter to make up for the lack of ratios, so the engine often felt "decoupled" from the wheels.

Back in 1990 I was running a FWD 2.0 litre Cavalier with a 4-speed  Aisan-Warner  auto & that car coped with snow & ice very well, better than the Cortinas & Sierras!. 

I have to say that the 190 (2wd) really needs more intervention than the 150 I had in the Octavia did. Like others have said, the 190 seems to like hanging onto the lower gears a lot longer. I felt like the 150 was perfect but the 190really needs help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a different set of gear-ratios?

The newer cars seem to have wide-ratio DSG's, for better theoretical fuel economy, so what is a lower gear is actually very similar to the next gear higher in the older car.

We notice this in our cars, the 2 Skodas will shift into 6th at 38 /40 mph, whereas the Eos won't shift until 50+mph.

EG 3k rpm in 6th in both Skodas = 77 mph, in the Eos = 95 mph!

Most likely to be different final drive ratios, 'cos the differences are noticeable as soon as the Eos shifts into 2nd, it never gets above 4th in town driving.

(All 2.0 TSi  6-speed DSG, with paddles, even the SuperB.......)

That moment when you first drive an auto and engage the clutch which is actually the brake and have to remove your lips from the windscreen. Priceless

That would have been back in 1970,not happened since though.

I was more scared when SWMBO selected R rather than D at the stop-lights & booted it ! 

We were really glad that she was in a one-car queue at the time, but she did quickly select D & left the scene in a hurry....

DC 

I find the paddles useful when towing

I find them v. useful when driving in hilly country, (yes, there are hills in Essex) & when I can see that I'm going to need to drop down 2/3 gears to balance the car through a corner 

or to scoot away from a junction.

As for Manual mode, I/we don't bother, it's what the paddles are for.

DC

I drove the SIII in July for 175 miles, when I went back to my manual SII I did the opposite when I slowed down in I forgot to depress the clutch.

Well after 1300 miles with my first DSG I thought I would update....

I love it !

BUT !

The weird thing is I drive it almost exclusively in manual mode with just the odd nod at auto.

I sometimes use auto when :

Pulling away at islands so I can concentrate on what's happening without worrying about gears

Pulling away from lights if I think the person who has nipped into the outside lane deserves smoking :-) somehow that's more satisfying in auto ...

And that's about it.... I just love the paddles !

So, would you have bought your car with a manual 'box if it be available?

For me it's nice to be lazy & let the car sort itself out, but with instant manual over-ride when necessary.

Good advice for Nick though............

Oi! I've been"into cars" for nigh on 50 years & still enjoy driving, but I why work when you don't need to? 

Prodding the clutch, & waggling a shifter, especially in traffic is no longer very enjoyable.

This years holiday rental was a LHD manual 1.6 diesel Octy 3, too much like hard work for me, & not the greatest driving experience either.  

TTFN, DC.

• Like 1

I drove the SIII in July for 175 miles, when I went back to my manual SII I did the opposite when I slowed down in I forgot to depress the clutch.

Been there, done that, every time I collected a manual loan car after dropping off my auto for servicing!

Every time, but only at the 1st stop.

DC

One thing I have done a couple of times !! Parked in a car park with the front end up against a wall and put it in drive instead of reverse !! Brown trouser time luckily caught because I'm always very gentle when setting off in reverse ....

Noticed today that when you drop down a gear manually when in auto mode, say for a hill the box keeps the car in the lower gear for the duration of the decent !

• Like 1

Noticed today that when you drop down a gear manually when in auto mode, say for a hill the box keeps the car in the lower gear for the duration of the decent !

Congratulations, you are learning the wonders of "DSG"!

DC

PS, it's "supposed" to return to normal "D" mode after a predetermined time period if no other paddle commands are made, but you should check your handbook 

for the latest / up-to-date info. It's possible that the car "knows" that you are descending from the GPS data from the Columbus..