Solar Battery Maintainer (Trickle Charger)

I was wondering If one of the above might be a good idea, especially as I might end up watching TV while the wife shops the day away, I see three on sale at Halfords.

All are 12V but they vary from 1.5W to 6W, and they seem to plug into a ciggy socket.

Are they safe to use on the MkIII and if I went for one, which is the better output and what else should I consider.

I asked the dealer and he said they cannot recommend any third party gizmos.

It will make virtually no difference to watching your tv. I have been able to watch it and when the notice comes up to switch it off or start the car I just turn the ignition on then off and the timer/voltage sensor start again. The car (SII) has away started plus my journeys to and from work are over 25 miles each way.

I had a 10W panel that I tried in the Octavia in an attempt to offset the drain caused by the alarm siren failing. the battery would go right down if the car was not used for 10 days. needless to say it was a waste of time.

yes I could have just changed the siren but cba as it was going soon for trade in.

Solar top up might work for some low power use applications but not for a car battery.

See everyone has a different spin on these I had and and I have to say it did work/help when I had my vectra however I used to keep my old car under a cover so during the winter months it wasn't getting enough to light :(

I went for a mains trickle charger which was loads better

I have a 13W maplins solar charger, it’s not small however (A3 size when folded for storage)

Not exactly a cheap or discreet solution, but it WILL charge a car battery from flat!

Over how many months. He he he he. Bloody emicons will not work.

Edited by Danny 57

It took about a week to charge an old flat battery to 12v (OK it may have taken less time than the full week, but I left it a week before checking it)

I used to work away all week and was ideal for popping in the windscreen to guarantee the car would start when I got back (winter time)