Dodgy dab

The dab reception on my SE business has been a bit flaky since collecting the car. worse than the last car I had with a dab radio fitted.

Today it stopped working entirely. Just got a crossed out aerial message. FM worked fine still. Turned off the car and restarted it but still no joy. Came back to it after work and it had started working again. Odd.

Anyone else have issues with dab reception or it stopping entirely?

Must say that I'm finding the Amundsen DAB to be the best of my last four DAB equipped cars (Ford, BMW & Mini). This is the first DAB radio that hasn't dropped out on my daily commute. I also rate the DAB/FM auto switching, its pretty much seamless.

My DAB switches regularly to FM...or wont tune. But more, this is the second L&K I've had with a TV tuner. Lots of places where TV was fine in my last Mk2, the new car won't get a signal. Either stationary for example when waiting for kids (so in places where I know I used to be able to watch TV), or sound only when driving. In cities, high ground, low ground. Only thinking about it today...and concluded its an aerial issue which ties it to the DAB comment.

To add...drove to deepest, darkest Wales yesterday (kidding...to the beautiful valleys of West Wales). Regular route, kid to Uni. Radio used to fade in and out on FM. Now with MkIII DAB, it was faultless throughout. Not a drop out. So, TV reception is not as good as Mk2, radio is much better. Curate's egg, anyone?

TV is becoming more of an issue in cars now with analogue having been switched off. DVB(T) has transmitter powers well down on what used to be used. Our local TV Tx was running at 1MW, now it runs at less than 200kW, with some down at <50kW. That reduces the signal strength and mobile installations are the first to start losing out. System planning takes no account of mobile use.

There is also a massive replan going on so that mobile phones get access to more spectrum. Regular retuning is needed to make sure your on board receiver is looking at the right transmitter. Ours has had to be done three times since November.