Oil consumption

Yesteday I visited a Skoda dealer and asked about the oil consumption of TSI petrol motors. The dealer said that factory is saying that normal consumption of oil is up to 1L for 1000km.

That's crazy for new car, at least in my opinion. I'm currently having a VW Golf MK6 1.6TDi and no extra oil is need between service intervalls.

So, I would like to hear users opinions - how much is your Skoda TSI motor oil consumption and is there any need to add it between services?

Hey, I ordered a Superb SE L Exec 150 2.0l Diesel. Reason I went for this rather than the petrol engine is that currently I drive a 1.4 Fabia VRS. My Fabia gives me about 1600 miles per litre of oil. Honestly, I hate it and don't find it acceptable.

Before the Fabia I had and Octavia VRS and I never had to top up in between the annual service.

Used to be normal on BMW engines too until they went to all alloy blocks. The M57 engine in my X5 certainly used oil until it had 10k on it. However the N57 engine in my X6 has never used a drop between changes.

I think the VW engines still use grey iron blocks don't they? Should be magnesium/aluminium alloy be now surely?

What Skoda says in writing.

'May use 0.5 Litres 1000 km'.(621 miles)  More in first 5,000 km       Not 1 litre per 1000 km  or 0.6 per 1000km

& that does not then make that acceptable.

It is there for 3, 4, 5, 6 & 8 Cylinder Diesel & Petrol Engines from 44kw up.

Towing over Mountain Passes in High Summer and other such rubbish.

If you have an excessive Oil user, VW do not get away with printing rubbish, and Dealership staff mis-quoting.

0.5 litres per 1000 km.  or more important 1 litre oil used in 1,200 miles is a 'Fail', if the car is being used in a normal manner.

Putting 8 litres or more in between fixed servicing might be something a DEalership Employee would try to say was OK,

but one that would say that 16 litres was within tolerances should go on the stage as a comedian.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Can't comment on the engine fitted in the S3, but a friend of mine (female - not that it makes a differance i should add) has a 2013 Golf 1.4 TSI and that drinks oil for fun to the point she keeps 1 litre in the boot just in case but it needs to be topped up every month or. / around 1000 - 1500 miles.

Luckily for her its a lease car under a maintenance contract so the lease company pay for the oil in litre containers once a month, but she has to go to the VW garage to pick it up so they can bill them which is a 60 minute round trip  - they normally top it up for her too as she has no interest in cars if you know what i mean.

Also, she has had to top up with oil from the dealer so there is a record in place in the event the usage increase to above every x amount of miles so she has an audit, plus confirmation she's used the "correct" oil.

As a result of this, she said she will never have a Golf or VW again as shes never had to do this in 15 years of driving..... she wants a Audi next.... that moment when i mentioned about the VAG group was an interesting chat.

As i say, i dont know what the engine code of the 1.4 is now, does anyone know or had any early reports of usage ?

For the record.... I also have a 1.4 TDI Skoda Rapid Spaceback on order, I went for the diesel engine over the petrol for this very reason plus other factors.

Edited by RickTT

Are you sure hers is a Golf 1.4 TSI and not a Polo 1.4 tsi GTI Twincharger.

The VW engine most likely to be an excessive Oil User.  Now Discontinued.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Any Private Owner or  Lease company should really not need to pay for the oil, and if they do VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi 

recompense as they know it is a Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, & Quality Control of Components issue.

(best not mention to her how New Squirters is the VW fix.) Oil Spray Jets and a Software Update.

The supplying of Oil and topping up should have been arranged to suit the Driver at the nearest VWG Dealership.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Are you sure hers is a Golf 1.4 TSI and not a Polo 1.4 tsi GTI Twincharger.

The VW engine most likely to be an excessive Oil User.  Now Discontinued.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Any Private Owner or  Lease company should really not need to pay for the oil, and if they do VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi 

recompense as they know it is a Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, & Quality Control of Components issue.

(best not mention to her how New Squirters is the VW fix.) Oil Spray Jets and a Software Update.

The supplying of Oil and topping up should have been arranged to suit the Driver at the nearest VWG Dealership.

Its a Golf, in SE trim, around 120bhp i think.

• Like 1

2013 they launched the Mk7 1.4 TSI with 138 bhp i do not know much about them or ones with lower outputs.

Its bad that she has such a lemon that has not had an engine replaced and someone will probably land up with it unless VW were honest and pulled it from the Used Car market.

Thats not what they do sadly and that is why their reputation is trash really.

I've not noticed the oil level dropping at all between services on my 1.4tsi Superb (older EA111) 

I insisted on a service as part of the purchase (14k miles) and it has just had another service (24k miles as they moved me to 10k service intervals on my request)

I bought a litre of the correct oil just after I bought the car - it remains unopened in the boot

I think the Golf 2013 1.4 is the later engine (EA211)

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Further thoughts on this topic

The earlier versions of the EA111 had well documented oil consumption problems (especially twin charger) be it pistons or cooling oil jets - all since revised

Don't know whether the later EA211 has a similar issue but I do wonder if this is the same problem that afflicted many cars when longer service intervals were introduced. Effectively the oil installed in the car when new was too good which prevented the proper bedding in of piston rings and bores.

I remember the old VAG 2.0 115 bhp fitted to many cars suffered from this and the only way to reduce the problem was to make sure you didn't drive too gently when new. My dad had a 2001 2.0 petrol Octavia (bought on the same day as mine!) where I advised him on how to run it in (not too gently) that never required oil between services, a friend of his had the same engine  fitted to a Fabia I that (what was the phrase) also drank oil for fun. 

Previous to this cars were fitted with a special oil that was changed after the first 1000 miles - clearly unacceptable with the fleet trade these days. 2.0 pd diesels engines were very prone to this.

Just a thought or three

Edited by bigjohn

Further thoughts on this topic

The earlier versions of the EA111 had well documented oil consumption problems (especially twin charger) be it pistons or cooling oil jets - all since revised

Don't know whether the later EA211 has a similar issue but I do wonder if this is the same problem that afflicted many cars when longer service intervals were introduced. Effectively the oil installed in the car when new was too good which prevented the proper bedding in of piston rings and bores.

I remember the old VAG 2.0 115 bhp fitted to many cars suffered from this and the only way to reduce the problem was to make sure you didn't drive too gently when new. My dad had a 2001 2.0 petrol Octavia (bought on the same day as mine!) where I advised him on how to run it in (not too gently) that never required oil between services, a friend of his had the same engine  fitted to a Fabia I that (what was the phrase) also drank oil for fun. 

Previous to this cars were fitted with a special oil that was changed after the first 1000 miles - clearly unacceptable with the fleet trade these days. 2.0 pd diesels engines were very prone to this.

Just a thought or three

Was that the 8v NA from the MK3 Golf fitted to the Mk4 golf (badged as a GTI)  you thinking about ? if so.. that did burn oil, but its near 20 year old now.

Edited by RickTT

Was that the 8v NA from the MK3 Golf fitted to the Mk4 golf (badged as a GTI)  you thinking about ? if so.. that did burn oil, but its near 20 year old now.

Yes that's the one. Also fitted to Skoda 2.0's circa 2001+ including Fabia I, Octavia I & Superb I.

My dad's Octavia burn't no oil between services