Start/Stop System

As Gaselle says you can decide when you want to use it without switching it off just by how you use the brake pedal, by varying the pressure on the brake pedal, I've also learnt to sense when it is going to activate and automatically release the pedal slightly to stop it, if that's what I want, I do let it switch off when you know you  will wait a while at lights etc and of course at railway crossings.

But most of the time I keep the engine running.

As for wear and tear, when was the last time anyone had a starter motor failure or a ring gear wear out? must be 25 years or so for me, they just do not fail these days.

Anyone else finding the stop/start system in the new Superb reluctant to actually do much stop-starting?

I've had the system on previous 3 VW group cars but the others all seemed to operate much as expected, even soon after starting car, unless DPF regen was in progress. However, my Superb (2.0tdi 150) seems much more reluctant to activate and as a consequence seldom kicks in during my daily commutes.

The primary excuse on in car display seems to suggest it's non-operational because of a risk of windows fogging, which I somehow doubt is likely to occur during brief stoppages given sheer internal volume of the estate! But today it surprised me with a new excuse...

I can only presume another regen was underway, but for the car to suggest "engine must be switched on", whilst idling at 1000rpm and up to temp is a puzzling?!

On my new Rapid Spaceback, i also get the same message when i check (sometimes other variables which explains it) but sometimes it just does not kick in.

HOWEVER... i have found if you turn the aircon and full heater off, it works find everrything time, so i suspect its the auto element of the heater which triggers the cabin temp is not at the selected temp

Its not that bad yes at times mine wont switch off (the happy moments) but considering i'm still getting rubbish MPG I'll stick with it for the time being and try to squeeze as much as I can out.