Towball

As far as I can tell it's paint! It's so much better than fiddling about with the detachable one I had fitted on the Merc. :-)

post-135212-0-58386500-1452868534_thumb.jpg

Edited by BFG1

Im getting a hitch fitted next week, €325 wired & fitted. The car is already pre wired for a towbar. I couldn't justify €700 for the factory hitch or €600 for the dealer hitch. I use my hitch for mainly carrying bicycles & towing the occasional garden trailer.

Thanks for that info rebelred. I'd have a similar use for one and like you, couldn't justify the cost of the factory fitted one. Will price around after I take delivery but it's good to know the price you paid.

• Like 1

my concern was fitting a non OEM part to a car which states if a towbar is fitted it requires an upgraded alternator, cooling system etc etc....

Let just say you have an engine issue at some point under warranty, it would be easy for them to state its due to towing heavy loads without the correct systems in place and decline the claim.   Yes you could say you you only towed a small trailer, but "everyone" would say that wouldn't they ?

Fact is, tow bar requires the upgrades to ensure the warranty remains intact.

Can't see carrying a few bikes is going to put any more stress on the engine, than carrying them on the roof.

Caravan different matter though.

I'll look for an aftermarket one once I get the car.

If I fit one then I'll try to fit the factory version, even if supplied through someone like P F Jones. Has anyone found who the OEM version is made by? I know BMW use a rebadged Westphalia which costs around £600 inc dedicated electrics if self fitting, or more than £2,500 for a dealer fit!

my concern was fitting a non OEM part to a car which states if a towbar is fitted it requires an upgraded alternator, cooling system etc etc....

Let just say you have an engine issue at some point under warranty, it would be easy for them to state its due to towing heavy loads without the correct systems in place and decline the claim.   Yes you could say you you only towed a small trailer, but "everyone" would say that wouldn't they ?

Fact is, tow bar requires the upgrades to ensure the warranty remains intact.

No. That is not a fact. If you were right, do you then think any Skoda dealer would retrofit a towbar?
  • Like 1

No. That is not a fact. If you were right, do you then think any Skoda dealer would retrofit a towbar?

No.. if a Skoda dealer retro fix's a towbar they will warranty it in line with the cars warrant it still as its a OEM supplied fitments.

If a 3rd party company fits it, its not endorsed by Skoda.

I fully agree bikes etc will make no difference.... but if you have a retro 3rd party towbar what's to say a dealer may not invalidate any engine claim if they suspect a caravan may of been towed etc as a get out clause..... .. its your word against theirs... easy for them to just say.. non oem spec, warranty claim void.

Also.. what happens if you have electric issues, battery drains etc etc... they could just point the finger at the 3rd party electric kits....

Each to their own and all, but i much prefer not to be put in that position of a £25k plus purchase.

Retro fit on my E60 cost over £650 including defuser etc... so for me this is good value... and yes... BMW tried getting out of the IBS sensor recall due to a after market tow bar wired into the OEM electrics.

Edited by RickTT

The factory option can easily be retrofitted. And it is, by far, a much nicer soloution than a fixed aftermarket towbar.

As well as the physical metalwork underneath, presumably you'd need to replace some of the interior to fit the release pull mechanism, and wiring for the indicator LED etc ?

Maybe it is easy, just doesn't look it to me!

We've got it fitted at the factory. It all works beautifully.

Edited by muddyboots

It's possible. Factory fit is £1850, retrofit is £925 over here.

That's expensive to say the least!  Denmark most be one of the most expensive places to buy a car?  Out of interest I had a look at your prices - even a poverty spec 1.4 costs the equivalent of over €40K (over £30K stg) and the 2.0 190bhp DSG is €68K (£52K stg)....ooch!!

I mentioned this previously but the guy who is putting the hitch on put my 'factory fitted' hitch on my last Superb - it was out sourced to them by my Skoda Dealer. So why pay out extra unnecessarily. I checked with my dealer about fitting one on my current car & he said he has no problem with it, just said make sure they wire it up to the existing pre-wired loon & not in to any other electrical source ie lights. If I were pulling caravans or other heavy loads then I would have gone with the Skoda one.

• Like 1