Dash Cams Power

I have a Transcend cam in the front. Its just stuck to the window. Nothing fancy and plugged into the front 12v. I know it keeps running when the ignition is off so I have a few questions because I'm too lazy to go outside and find out for myself !!

If I put another cam in the rear window plugged into the boot 12v supply will it go off when the ignition off ? I don't fancy having to open the boot every trip to turn it off.

If I leave the front cam running for 8 hours while I'm at work ( or both even ) is that going to be a massive drain on the battery ?

All the 12V sockets are permanent live Nick

Cheers ... I suppose even though its a pain it could be worthwhile having a cam in the back .... I cant imagine them drawing much power even if left on 8 hours ...

My wife left her dashcam plugged in in her Fiesta which also has permanent live for 2 days, and the battery was OK. So it shouldn't be a problem.

When my new car arrives I'm going to see if the dealer can fit my dashcam and wire it into the fuse box. If they won't, Halfords do it for £30 if you buy one from them.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not all Transcend models record when the ignition is off. I have the DrivePro 200 fitted to the rear screen and even though it's hard wired it will only work with the ignition on.

http://www.transcend-info.com/PR/event/comparison/comparison_cvr_en.html

The Roadhawk hardwired to the front records continuously.

Isnt that because its hardwired though and not running through the 12v socket ? I have a DrivePro 200 in the front and it stays on all the time because as Gizmo says the 12v socket is live.