DCC - worth it?

To quote VAG...

DCC is an innovative system that allows you to choose the style of drive you want at any time. Three ride settings are offered - Normal, Sport and Comfort* - all at the touch of a button in the centre console. This operates the electrically regulated dampers and steering. In Sport mode, for instance, relatively stiff dampers match the changed steering characteristics, offering a driving experience like that of an agile sports car. The damping also adapts itself to the respective road conditions. Each shock absorber is connected to a control which calculates the optimum setting for each wheel from the sensor data and other information received from the steering, braking, engine, transmission and driving assistance systems. This allows the ACC to react continually (up to a thousand times per second) to bumps in the road, changing lanes or bendy roads, reducing pitch and roll motion and provide the optimum settings for every driving situation.

(* of course the Superb includes Eco)

So DCC offers the addition of the Comfort mode and adaptive dampers.

Comfort mode: I can't live with the pure Comfort mode, but I wouldn't want to be without it. I prefer a tight responsive control and Comfort mode is just too loose and wallowing on anything other than a reasonably straight line. I will use it, however, in the "Individual" setting for DCC (ride) when on long motorway journeys. The ride is very smooth and is no doubt part of the reason why I still felt fresh and comfortable after a 450 mile (720 km) journey.

Adaptive dampers: The amount of adaption is within a restricted range dependent on the selected DCC mode. If I want to throw the car through bends (which I confess I often do) then it's DCC Sport mode. A lot of the grip I get through bends is thanks to the Haldex, but I wouldn't doubt the adaptive dampers make a significant contribution. I know the Superb is not a sports car, but the combination of the 4x4 and adaptive dampers mean it makes a damn good effort of trying to imitate one.

Coming from a Superb II myself, I'd say it's definitely worth having, but then again I went for an L&K so it was already included.

• Like 2

Got it on L&K and something that you take for granted. Agree, Comfort is a very relaxing ride on cruises, but far too soft for any other journey. I use normal most often which is close to S2 but i would say it is softer than outgoing S2 even (S2 is a very good compromise).

However, the way it seems to tighten up the whole car in Sport is awesome for a more gripping experience on country roads and I really love it. It makes the car shrink to something half it`s size.

I realise critics will say that you dont get a Superb for fun - and i would tend to agree - but this is the best compromise you can get out of a hulk of a car like this.

Go for it and enjoy...

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to compare DCC to SWMBOs vRS and my current superb that's running on Bilstein B6 shocks and Eibach -30mm springs. The stock setup on the Mk2 Superb is far too wallowy. The big front overhang makes for a sloppy ride on the motorway at high speed. Mostly fixed with my suspension mods though. 

From what I have read, there is an electronically regulated oil valve in each shock that alters the amount of damping that can be performed, as well as the characteristic of the damper itself. 

It's not active in terms of ride height or body roll cancellation as it cannot change what the springs and ARBs do. It basically controls how the wheel responds vertically to imperfections in the road. 

Shame actually, I'd love air ride on my Superb. Slammed and on 19's? Yes please.

I love watching Fast and Loud on the TV they bag loads of vehicles and they look great :D

• Like 1

om my l&k it works perfect byt i have a littel noise in low speeds and what i hear its a common problem whit dcc suspension skoda nows the problem but dont have a solution yet.