My first niggle

Slightly worried that after 3,500 miles I am getting a buzz when accelerating at approx 1900 to 2100 rpm in the dash. It is quieter with the vents shut, but not affected by fan speed. How good are dealers at dealing with niggles normally? My mk2 fl octy was spot on, no rattled or squeaks so I'm a bit disappointed/surprised/worried this has developed already... Any ideas? The buzz seems to be in the central dash area.

Edited by nicowalker85
  • Like 1

I had a similar problem on a diesel Octavia like a buzzing noise coming from the dash/vent area I looked every where and I mean everywhere, but it turned out to be the flow and return diesel pipes on the bulk head behind the filter housing It was worse when cold to I presume the rubber was harder and became more flexible when warm you could try cable ties these or put a pot sponge behind them .

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

This isn't scientifically verified or recommended. But I find giving the area a good clout with the palm of your hand helps with many smaller rattles and instances of vibration. We like to call it 'percussive calibration' in our industry.......

I've also found my sunglasses rattle in their holder. Initially it sounded like it was coming from the dash area. Car acoustics are funny like that. Same with the little cubby under the light switch. All of the crap I stash in there was rattling like a good'un but didn't sound like it was actually coming from there.

• Like 3

Cheers, first thing I did was remove my sun specs, also open/close the little tray you mentioned. I'll give everything a good tap to see if something was not quite seated correctly.

Glovebox and the pull down tray near drivers right knee both vibrate on mine.

Pete buy a pack of small round sticky Velcro pads from Halfords and a pack of small gromits. Stick a gromit on the plastic side of the pulldown tray. When the door shuts it applies pressure and fixes the rattle.

Glovebox and the pull down tray near drivers right knee both vibrate on mine.

+1

I cured the drivers side one by trapping the edge of a microfibre cloth in the locking mechanism (it was this that was rattling)

I have yet to cure the glovebox rattle  :wall: (not for the want of trying I may add)

The pulldown tray (left knee since mine is a LHD) is gonna fall to the floor pretty soon I'm sure. It seems like it has nothing to secure it in place. It stays put just because of light weight? :D But I have no issues with it so far.. No sound/rattling, no nothing, but the thought of "how the H#$# did they come to the conclusion that THAT was a nice idea" has definately crossed my mind. Its just too flimsy imho for a car like this    :)

BUT, no issues so far apart from that little (and it really does not bother me) niggle. Excellent car it really is!

Edited by pstraums

Last year I bought an approved 1 year old Superb II, 1.4 TSI manual.  It had the RHS dashboard buzz, as above, at 1.9 - 2.1k engine revs, all gears and neutral, hot or cold.

The buzz remained unchanged, in spite of return to dealer who said it was fixed  (it was for about 30 minutes). 

After a while, it annoyed me so much that it was a big factor in selling the car after three months.

Here's the strange thing. In late September I must have had a brainstorm and ordered an SIII.

Still waiting for delivery.  Am I mad or what?  :think:

Last year I bought an approved 1 year old Superb II, 1.4 TSI manual.  It had the RHS dashboard buzz, as above, at 1.9 - 2.1k engine revs, all gears and neutral, hot or cold.

The buzz remained unchanged, in spite of return to dealer who said it was fixed  (it was for about 30 minutes). 

After a while, it annoyed me so much that it was a big factor in selling the car after three months.

Here's the strange thing. In late September I must have had a brainstorm and ordered an SIII.

Still waiting for delivery.  Am I mad or what?  :think:

Yup !

Pete buy a pack of small round sticky Velcro pads from Halfords and a pack of small gromits. Stick a gromit on the plastic side of the pulldown tray. When the door shuts it applies pressure and fixes the rattle.

I just turn the radio up now haha. But seriously, sticky Velcro shouldn't be necessary on a new 'premium' car. Kinda wishing I'd got a Mondeo, really not feeling the Superb, bored of it already and 20 months left on the lease :(

I just turn the radio up now haha. But seriously, sticky Velcro shouldn't be necessary on a new 'premium' car. Kinda wishing I'd got a Mondeo, really not feeling the Superb, bored of it already and 20 months left on the lease :(

That's a shame Pete. Love mine. Why bored ? Perhaps you should have gone for a different engine ? Hard to get bored of 280 horses ...

• Like 1

Although no current buzzes or rattles, I refer you to my post in the 'build quality thread' about the total failure of the RH storage compartment (next to the driver's knee).  After about 1500 miles the handle failed completely and snapped, meaning that the compartment couldn't be closed.  All fixed now, but perhaps an idication of a dodgy locking mechanism...

That's a shame Pete. Love mine. Why bored ? Perhaps you should have gone for a different engine ? Hard to get bored of 280 horses ...

four and half weeks since I ordered mine, so only an ice age to go before I get it! hopefully I will have a bit of summer left.

Any slight niggles yet or all good?

Just a couple of rattles UW in the cabin. One cured by me the other vanished. I do have a pretty strange steering thing going on that I've documented in another thread.

Nothing that's stopping me enjoying the motor.

Just a couple of rattles UW in the cabin. One cured by me the other vanished. I do have a pretty strange steering thing going on that I've documented in another thread.

Nothing that's stopping me enjoying the motor.

That's good, glad your enjoying.

Got mine down to an indicated 15.9 mpg going from home to Chelsea skirting around the congestion zone going south of the Thames and then coming back North, the traffic was mental!

Luckily the Superb is such a comfortable place to be :)

Not noticed any rattles or suspension noises yet but not done 300-miles yet.

Snap. I've never kept a car longer than a year before, normally 5/6 months and I have 20 months left on my lease. Sort of why I leased it though. An experiment to see if I could change my ways! Overall I like the car and 90% of the time it's fine but the other 10% it could do with being a bit more exciting but my wife keeps reminding me that's why I have a motorbike....

Snap. I've never kept a car longer than a year before, normally 5/6 months and I have 20 months left on my lease. Sort of why I leased it though. An experiment to see if I could change my ways! Overall I like the car and 90% of the time it's fine but the other 10% it could do with being a bit more exciting but my wife keeps reminding me that's why I have a motorbike....

Bugginbob I'm in the same scenario, habitual car changer, got a lease to stop myself, doesn't stop the boredom setting in though! Had four cars last year, decided enough was enough!! Nick_H, it's not the horses, I can't really put my finger on what it is. The SE Business was the only model within reach for me, lease price wise.

I've switched my mind between Mondeo en Superb multiple times. But the Mondeo interior is full of hard plastic (I assume a lot more random noises). Although the suspension is better, it's nowhere as fun to drive as a Ford Focus. It still feels like a big D-segment car.

Also, with the inflatable seatbelts, you get in trouble when trying to find a child seat.