oil change on a new engine!

so a question for all you amateur tribologists out there!

my 280 is now at 1500 miles. its a quick and easy oil change if I want to do it.

the service interval is every year or when the dash lights up according to my dealer, but its a brand new engine. 

is it a good idea to change the oil at 1500 miles just as a "can do" thing (I have a few large drums of castrol edge 5w30 in the shed)?

or is there no point whatsoever anymore given that the engine is run in whilst in the factory. just wait for the scheduled service or the light to flash up.

t.

If you have the time and the oil, its not going to do any harm.

I'm old enough to remember most new cars having a 1500 miles first service...lol

Edited by glosrich

It might do some harm though.

The engine needs to bed in and the rings need to wear to the bores etc.

Admittedly most of the break in happens very quickly.

Stick with the manufacturers regime and you'll be just fine. :-)

Edited by Tom_vRS

If you have the time and the oil, its not going to do any harm.

I'm old enough to remember most new cars having a 1500 miles first service...lol

.......and sawdust in to stop the big ends rattling!
  • Like 1

I changed the oil in my Octavia VRS TSI at around 3k when it was 6 months old as I had the oil much like you do... It's now done 14k and not used a drop at all. Can't do it any harm

My oil was changed at the 1,500 mile 'post delivery check'. I do it with all my cars, and have since the 1990s. It may be less important these days, but as a 'proper' engineer from the days before transistors I think it remains good practice to do it.

• Like 1