Paint protection

Ok so with my car sitting somewhere between the factory and dell boys shipping yard in Emdon the dealer is starting to make arrangements.

So part of this I have been offered to have something called G3 paint protection which apparently is better than the average paint protection on offer from some dealers (yea ok).

This G3 is apparently some kind of stuff that is like liquid glass protection so it doesn't just wash off if it's washed too much.

Have you guys had this or any experience of this not sure yet of the costs but thinking about looking at it any ideas ?

Take it to a pro detailer and get something applied properly rather than the sponge monkeys the dealer would use.

And as much as the cost seems way over that of the dealer I can't have it off the road for a week. Unless there is an alternative option.

It all depends on what you have applied, my Crystal Serum was expensive and took a week to apply, however there are much cheaper and quicker choices available.

I know I am going yo regret saying this but I have so far over 5K miles on my S3 and do not have a single stone chip on it, I do wonder if the Crystal Serum has anything to do with this as it is meant to give it such a hard coating that the only way to remove it is by wet and dry flatting down!

Ideally you want something like Gtechniq C1 topped with C2v3 and/or a wax. My detailer is taking the car on delivery day and applying full interior, exterior and glass protection for £250. Cheaper AND faster than the dealer, and you know it'll be done properly if it's a well established detailer with a good rep. Shop around...

• Like 1

Ideally you want something like Gtechniq C1 topped with C2v3 and/or a wax. My detailer is taking the car on delivery day and applying full interior, exterior and glass protection for £250. Cheaper AND faster than the dealer, and you know it'll be done properly if it's a well established detailer with a good rep. Shop around...

How did u find that one then ?

How did u find that one then ?

Matthew at Off Your Marks in Warrington. I found a short list of local detailers via Google (mostly recommendations on car forums like this one), then spent a good few hours trawling Detailing World threads etc to see examples of their work. Matt stood out for being long established and posting some fantastic renovations online. He's been working 15 years and has a fantastic reputation in the detailing community. He even provides a courtesy car while yours is being worked on. I can't wait to see the final result!

[Edited to add some detail now I'm back at home on the laptop]

Edited by Derv
  • Like 1

Waiting for my L&K hatch to arrive planning to do some detailing myself.

1)  Pressure wash 

2)  Snow foam 

3)  Iron fallout remover

4)  Clay bar

5)  Pressure wash and dry

6)  Carlack nano sealant

7)  Collinite 915 wax

8)  Poorboys wheel sealant

9)  Carlack glass sealant

• Like 1

Waiting for my L&K hatch to arrive planning to do some detailing myself.

1)  Pressure wash 

2)  Snow foam 

3)  Iron fallout remover

4)  Clay bar

5)  Pressure wash and dry

6)  Carlack nano sealant

7)  Collinite 915 wax

8)  Poorboys wheel sealant

9)  Carlack glass sealant

Pretty much the same here. Pick car up Tuesday, hope for a couple of dry overcast days after that to put all the above into practice. Same Carlack/Collinite option on a Corrida Red Combi.

• Like 1

I wonder why the production process couldn't provide a higher quality paint and finish with protection built in when car was being built. As an extra. Some take the flat colours, others pay for the metallic/pearl paint option, perhaps some would pay for a paint+ option with better protected technology. I'm sure it can be done.

Edited by nthurrzzz

Basically because 99% of the population do not care.

The quality of the paint finish supplied by the majority of dealerships (irrelevant of the manufacturer) is not good enough to apply a decent LSP, they will all require some detailing beforehand.

Which is the reason to take it to a detailer, they will ensure the paintwork is blemish free before applying your chosen LSP

• Like 1